What'S With The Yellow Haired Falang Kids Selling Fruit?

kdc1899

I've been seeing these 2 for a year now. The "big" (maybe 10 years old) brother seems to be doing most of the work now. The wife bought some bananas from him the other day. These kids obviously don't go to school and someone's got them selling stuff,all day and night, like they are just common peasants. They ride around on a pink motorbike with no helmets.

Being that I'm not where I come from the usual intervention will probably need a concensus.

What say ye?

Here's a discussion about it. http://www.memock.co...these-ubon-kids

I saw the girl riding alone about 2 weeks ago near the place you get a driver's license on the ring road. Riding fast on the wrong side of the road.

From the pictures they don't look like they're short of finances.

By the way what you saw on the ring road,I see hundreds of times a day wherever I am in Thailand.

Why the over concern?

Yes, the oddity of peasant-appearing Farang might be a strange and eccentric sight here, but not worthy of anything but a curio.

Rather instinctive for us to gather shock, pitty, and dismay when the more than occasional story of the down-and-out Farang struggles, but turn an indifferent and blind eye towards our numerous Thai neighbors who share similar lifestyles.

The sense of offence and indignation in the blog and some posts that such should occur is almost... palpable

If it makes everyone feel better there ae no doubt many thousands (millions?) of good honest white children living far worse lifestyles in their native countries. At least it's warm here.

• Like 1

Why the over concern?

Yes, the oddity of peasant-appearing Farang might be a strange and eccentric sight here, but not worthy of anything but a curio.

Rather instinctive for us to gather shock, pitty, and dismay when the more than occasional story of the down-and-out Farang struggles, but turn an indifferent and blind eye towards our numerous Thai neighbors who share similar lifestyles.

The sense of offence and indignation in the blog and some posts that such should occur is almost... palpable

If it makes everyone feel better there ae no doubt many thousands (millions?) of good honest white children living far worse lifestyles in their native countries. At least it's warm here.

The whole thing comes across as rather gossipy and nothing else.

Why the over concern?

Not sure where you come from brother but in my parts when some punk hits a woman or a kid that boy's got some instant explaining to do. This form of child abuse is even worse than physical abuse. I get the mai ben rai thing related to a 3rd world peasant being a 3rd world peasant but these kids have most likely been abducted by this deadbeat boy just to spite the falang mom. He obviously could care less about bringing up these kids. This is an extreme case of child abuse and there is most likely a devastated mother somewhere in North Europe crying over these kids daily.

No problem though, right?

<deleted>; there may even be a reward for their return and his arrest, if common decency is not a motivation for you.

• Like 1

Why the over concern?

Not sure where you come from brother but in my parts when some punk hits a woman or a kid that boy's got some instant explaining to do. This form of child abuse is even worse than physical abuse. I get the mai ben rai thing related to a 3rd world peasant being a 3rd world peasant but these kids have most likely been abducted by this deadbeat boy just to spite the falang mom. He obviously could care less about bringing up these kids. This is an extreme case of child abuse and there is most likely a devastated mother somewhere in North Europe crying over these kids daily.

<deleted>; there may even be a reward for their return and his arrest, if common decency is not a motivation for you.

I'm not your brother, thanks - nor do I have a yearning to be.

Why the over concern?

Most likely a devastated mother etc - you could be right of course, but on the other hand you could be writing a complete load of codswallop.

How about waiting to hear, if we ever do, what the situations really is with the kids?

Many people seem to know of them in Ubon, some of whom are members hear. I would love someone to go up to them and ask them there story. Would make interesting reading I am sure!

Aliasjohn, it sounds like you have met the father, what did you learn from him?

Many people seem to know of them in Ubon, some of whom are members hear. I would love someone to go up to them and ask them there story. Would make interesting reading I am sure!

Memock, here's the story my Mrs got from the young girl - we bought some corn cobs off her outside "Saveland" near reservoir in Ubon a couple of weeks ago. Don't shoot the messanger and i've no way of verifying any of this but here goes :-

Her mother and father are Scandanavian ( i can't remember which country ). Her mother died around 4 years ago and shortly afterwards her dad found a Thai girlfriend and decided to move to Thailand and bring the kids with him. Her "step-mum" treats them pretty badly and insists the kids go out and sell the produce she makes on the farm. Dad goes along with it because he has no money or income of his own. My Mrs says she speaks perfect Issan.

Don't know how much is true, but my hunch is the basic points may be true, spiced up with a bit of "emotional blackmail" so you buy something from her ?

Memock, here's the story my Mrs got from the young girl - we bought some corn cobs off her outside "Saveland" near reservoir in Ubon a couple of weeks ago. Don't shoot the messanger and i've no way of verifying any of this but here goes :-

Her mother and father are Scandanavian ( i can't remember which country ). Her mother died around 4 years ago and shortly afterwards her dad found a Thai girlfriend and decided to move to Thailand and bring the kids with him. Her "step-mum" treats them pretty badly and insists the kids go out and sell the produce she makes on the farm. Dad goes along with it because he has no money or income of his own. My Mrs says she speaks perfect Issan.

Don't know how much is true, but my hunch is the basic points may be true, spiced up with a bit of "emotional blackmail" so you buy something from her ?

My wife pretty much said the same story as above.

About 2 months ago she stop in front of the house and asked me in English if I wanted to buy some corn. I told her to go and ask the wife, she spoke to her in Thai. I see them alot in the Pathume district.

Yes, wahoo - great childhood - pity that there is a high chance that they will not get to experience all of it given the extremely dangerous way they ride that motorbike with no protection. If they do make adulthood, what a great blast that will be with hardly any education behind them.

Yes, wahoo - great childhood - pity that there is a high chance that they will not get to experience all of it given the extremely dangerous way they ride that motorbike with no protection. If they do make adulthood, what a great blast that will be with hardly any education behind them.

Don't be so negative. I'm sure some guy will be posting here in 8 tears time about the wonderful blonde Thai chick he met who needs money for Papa;s operation....

• Like 1

Three languages? Fluently? I don't remember you saying that you have meet them and talked with them....

Even if they can, (which is a great skill for them) it will be useless if they end up under a 10 wheeler tomorrow which is a high chance. If you have ever seen the way they ride you will be amazed. Sure I have seen Thai people ride the same but they are generally over the age of 16 - not a 10 year old (or so) with his little sister on behind.

The only semi credible information I have seen on this thread is from Supergers and Mike123ca who in part say " Her "step-mum" treats them pretty badly and insists the kids go out and sell the produce she makes on the farm. Dad goes along with it because he has no money or income of his own" and from AliasJohn who says "you should see their so called Father! He does not give a toss.."

But I guess as it looks like they are having fun breaking the law and running a muck on a motorbike while speaking a few languages then everything is A Ok. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I would hope that everyone here would like the following to happen to any child in any country in the world.

: They are safe

: They are not forced into work to the detriment of their education.

: They do not have to break the law at the request of their parents.

: They have a chance at a decent education

: That they have a loving Father and Mother

It would seem (and I base this on nothing but bits of information so could be totally wrong) that none of those five points currently are happening to the kids in question. Of course, this happens to kids all over the world but that does not stop me wishing it didn't happen or sometimes trying to make sure it doesn't. Is that so bad that I feel this way and care or is it bad that some people think it is a laugh and couldn't give a toss because 'we are in Thailand'.??

• Like 2

I would hope that everyone here would like the following to happen to any child in any country in the world.

: They are safe

: They are not forced into work to the detriment of their education.

: They do not have to break the law at the request of their parents.

: They have a chance at a decent education

: That they have a loving Father and Mother

It would seem (and I base this on nothing but bits of information so could be totally wrong) that none of those five points currently are happening to the kids in question. Of course, this happens to kids all over the world but that does not stop me wishing it didn't happen or sometimes trying to make sure it doesn't. Is that so bad that I feel this way and care or is it bad that some people think it is a laugh and couldn't give a toss because 'we are in Thailand'.??

Out of the millions of children in the world that have real problems (starving, war zones, abused, orphans, etc.),

Picking out these two children because they have blond hair and blue eyes is sort of racist, don't you think?

And it's not as if you know the children are under any unusual compulsions anyway.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 1

It is not really any of your business though is it? Do you post about it on a forum when you see a Thai kid selling fruit on the street... If they seem happy then leave them alone. Posting their pictures and home address GPS co-ordinates on the internet is potentially just as dangerous for them and actually quite wrong. If you concerns are for these kids then I suggest you remove them from your website.

• Like 1

It is not really any of your business though is it? Do you post about it on a forum when you see a Thai kid selling fruit on the street... If they seem happy then leave them alone. Posting their pictures and home address GPS co-ordinates on the internet is potentially just as dangerous for them and actually quite wrong. If you concerns are for these kids then I suggest you remove them from your website.

I think you will notice that I did not start this thread and had nothing to do with it. I wrote about it in a personal blog that some people chose to read.

I agree with you about the GPS co-ordinates which were posted anonymously by someone else which I had forgotten all about. I have since deleted them.

Out of the millions of children in the world that have real problems (starving, war zones, abused, orphans, etc.),

Picking out these two children because they have blond hair and blue eyes is sort of racist, don't you think?

And it's not as if you know the children are under any unusual compulsions anyway.

Actually I help out quote a lot of kids from different countries but that is really none of your business what I get up to. I did not 'pick them out'. After a bunch of expats and I were discussing them one day I felt inclined to write about them in the hope of finding out what their story was as like it or not they are talked about because they are different and therefore interesting. (This is not being racist like you tried to insinuate.) I am an ex journalist and I guess old habits die hard. I forgot about them for a while but when one of these expats emailed me the photos I thought I would follow up on my idea.

Off topic personal attack removed

There is always someone who cannot keep it civil!

...... they are talked about because they are different and therefore interesting. (This is not being racist like you tried to insinuate.) I am an ex journalist and I guess old habits die hard. I forgot about them for a while but when one of these expats emailed me the photos I thought I would follow up on my idea.

Different as in skin, eye and hair colour!

I would have thought that was the exact definition of racism?