Afghan man chokes wife to death for giving birth to baby girl

News_Editor

<p> Afghan man chokes wife to death for giving birth to baby girl </p>

<p>2012-01-30 17:37:07 GMT+7 (ICT) </p>

<p>KUNDUZ, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- Police in northern Afghanistan are looking for a man who allegedly choked his wife to death after she gave birth to a baby girl for the third time, according to media reports on Monday.

</p>

<p>A police spokesman told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) news agency that 30-year-old Storay had been choked to death by her husband and mother-in-law after she gave birth to the couple's third girl late last year. "She was told by her husband that if she delivered another baby girl, he would kill her," the spokesman said.

</p>

<p>The murder took place in a remote village in Khanabad district of Kunduz province, which is located in northern Afghanistan. Storay's mother-in-law has been arrested but her husband has fled, the police spokesman was quoted as saying by dpa. The report did not say when Storay was killed.

</p>

<p>Despite the fall of the Taliban more than a decade ago, violence and abuse of women continues to be a serious problem in Afghanistan. Human rights activists have criticized Afghan authorities for their failure to protect women, and the issue was highlighted again by two recent cases.

</p>

<p>In late December, police in northern Afghanistan rescued a 15-year-old girl who had been locked up in a toilet for about half a year and was frequently beaten for refusing to have sex with men brought home by her parents-in-law. The young victim had earlier married a 30-year-old man, a common practice in a country where some girls are being married as young as nine-years-old.

</p>

<p>Prior to that, the Afghan government received a storm of criticism when a 21-year-old woman, identified only as Gulnaz, was arrested on charges of adultery when she reported that she had been raped by her cousin's husband in 2009. She initially did not report the sexual assault but was forced to do so after showing signs of pregnancy.

</p>

<p>Refusing to marry her alleged attacker to have the case dropped, Gulnaz was sentenced to two years in prison on the charge of having sex outside of marriage because prosecutors argued they could not determine whether they had sex voluntarily outside of marriage or if she raped.

</p>

<p>The initial sentence was later increased to twelve years in prison when Gulnaz appealed her conviction. Another appeal saw her sentence being reduced to three years imprisonment, but she received a pardon from President Hamid Karzai when the issue gained international attention.

</p>

<p>The case of Gulnaz, who was released last month, drew international attention to the plight of many Afghan women after the European Union blocked a documentary which featured her story. The documentary, which shows cases of Afghan women jailed for so-called 'moral crimes', was blocked because of concerns for the safety of the women portrayed.

</p>

<p>Human rights groups say hundreds of women in Afghan jails are victims of rape or domestic violence.

</p> <p> tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-30 </p>

Domestic violence is a problem all over the world. Sad fact. With all these cases of rape, assault and murder by a current or former spouse, intimate partner, boyfriend or girlfriend you could fill pages of newspapers every day. But mostly likely is that your newspaper will only report the local cases and very seldom it will become world news, except its maybe used for propaganda.

CIA 'suggests' Europe should understand suffering of women under Taliban

European Nato governments should emphasise the suffering of women under Taliban rule to counter domestic calls for troop withdrawal a leaked CIA analysis suggests.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7535681/CIA-suggests-Europe-should-understand-suffering-of-women-under-Taliban.html

Domestic violence is a problem all over the world. Sad fact. With all these cases of rape, assault and murder by a current or former spouse, intimate partner, boyfriend or girlfriend you could fill pages of newspapers every day. But mostly likely is that your newspaper will only report the local cases and very seldom it will become world news, except its maybe used for propaganda.

CIA 'suggests' Europe should understand suffering of women under Taliban

European Nato governments should emphasise the suffering of women under Taliban rule to counter domestic calls for troop withdrawal a leaked CIA analysis suggests.

http://www.telegraph...er-Taliban.html

Seems like a fair enough commentary to me. Operation 'enduring freedom' is hollow indeed if it results in misogynistic sub-human lowlifes having the enduring freedom to treat women worse than animals. P.S Yes it happens in all cultures but to pretend equally so really would be propaganda.

"Mission Accomplished" !!!!!!

Pull the lads out and leave them to it. Nothing can change despite the massive(and continuing) loss of military personnels lives. Nobody has changed this country in 2500 years of failed invasions, and as sad as it may be for women such as this poor lady, our presence there achieves absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Bombing the country with instruction leaflets and educational books would help more than with bombs...

The problem with that is no amount of education will make a jot of difference unless the underlying belief system is dismantled - this is best illustrated by the fact the same domestic violence honor killings continues unabated in the west from the same culture which clearly is impervious to the norms of the host Country. Take the current example of an Afghani man and his wife convicted in Canada of murdering their own children.

Edited by Steely Dan

A tragedy for sure, and not really fair to indite an entire country for the action of one man. However the true measure would be what the government does as punishment to this man. Is there some bizarre Sharia law that allows this?? Sure am glad I am not a Muslim woman. I think dogs have a better life.....

Dogs don't fare too well in that part of the world either.

I remember being told '...dogs are the spit of the devil.'

I know this is O/T but you set me thinking about the blind, here is a good progressive bit of common sense, hopefully it will set a precedent.

A tragedy for sure, and not really fair to indite an entire country for the action of one man. However the true measure would be what the government does as punishment to this man. Is there some bizarre Sharia law that allows this?? Sure am glad I am not a Muslim woman. I think dogs have a better life.....

There is no sharia law that prevents his conviction. Only problem usually is that it takes more female winesses than males to "prove" a crime, which is why rape is so rarely punished.

In sharia, a woman is worth less than a man, which is why I find it hard to understand western women converting to Islam.

There are almost no dogs in Saudi, so I don't think so.

However, with all the soi dogs around where I live, I think it is something that might be a good idea to happen here.