They Ate The Cat!

yougivemebaby

So I come home from fishing (in Isaan) and I notice the cat is gone.

Where is the cat?

GF, Cat die laoo (Already)

What do you mean the cat die already? Dog get her?

GF. No, Momma want to sell cat to neighbors for 50 baht.

WHAT DID THEY DO TO HER?

GF. They eat her. YANG.

WHAT ??? I thought SOME people only ate dog here..! Someone please tell me why the F they sell their PETS to their neighbors to EAT. They're not poor enough. They catch ngoo (rice rats). They have PLENTY to eat. Please tell me this is a bad dream and I'll wake up!

Seriously, I'm all for respecting people from other cultures and all that, but this is one fuc_ked up story that I find hard to digest.

Crazy villagers. I hope their rice field gets swarmed with rats. That'd give them something to eat!

Edited by ricku
  • Like 1

Seriously, I'm all for respecting people from other cultures and all that, but this is one fuc_ked up story that I find hard to digest.

Crazy villagers. I hope their rice field gets swarmed with rats. That'd give them something to eat!

Probably why they wanted to get rid of the cat, rat meat is delicious, and more expensive than cat.

I've heard of a restaurant in Ha Noi where they serve cat but have yet to try it, but i'll be back there in July.

Exactly! I've HEARD about and seen some aftermath of dogs having been eaten near the farm.. Didn't care to ask where they got the dog from. THIS CAT WAS THEIR PET THEY HAD FOR SEVERAL YEARS! They butchred it and sold it to the neighbors... Sorry but I don't know how this is funny.. Later spoke with the GF again and she said her mom thought we didn't like the cat so we wouldn't care.. Ummm Based on WHAT?

I sure hope her mom doesn't think my GF doesn't like ME!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, cats!

1. Cats do what they want.

2. They rarely listen to you.

3. They're totally unpredictable.

4. They whine when they are not happy.

5. When you want to play, they want to be alone.

6. When you want to be alone, they want to play.

7. They expect you to cater to their every whim.

8. They're moody.

9. They leave hair everywhere.

10. They drive you nuts and cost an arm and a leg.

Conclusion: they're tiny women in little fur coats.

...and this just in...they taste good too!

Yes, cats!

1. Cats do what they want.

2. They rarely listen to you.

3. They're totally unpredictable.

4. They whine when they are not happy.

5. When you want to play, they want to be alone.

6. When you want to be alone, they want to play.

7. They expect you to cater to their every whim.

8. They're moody.

9. They leave hair everywhere.

10. They drive you nuts and cost an arm and a leg.

Conclusion: they're tiny women in little fur coats.

...and this just in...they taste good too!

What do you think catsup is made of?

Okay now I can laugh a little.. But I'm a bit worried as now they have a new cat.. Looks young and tender.. I always check to see if the animals are around before I eat the mystery meat..

I'm new here, so go easy.

This whole thread is a pisstake isn't it.

Please tell me it is.

Surely it has to be.

I mean I have a girlfriend from Isaan now, should I be worried, if I get her back to Oz, or more so should Mr. Whiskers!

I'm reading what you wrote about cat, gone for 50 baht, and I'm thinking no, surely not.

Did your neighbours really eat the cat?

I have plans to visit Ubon with her, and I'm wondering if I have been leading a sheltered life.

Please tell me it is.

Surely it has to be.

I mean I have a girlfriend from Isaan now, should I be worried, if I get her back to Oz, or more so should Mr. Whiskers!

I'm reading what you wrote about cat, gone for 50 baht, and I'm thinking no, surely not.

I have plans to visit Ubon with her, and I'm wondering if I have been leading a sheltered life.

I'm sorry to be the shocker for you but I'm not making it up! 50 baht here is about a third to a half of day on the farm. You have no idea what poor is until you come here. They live mostly off the land so any extra money can go quite far. They eat bugs I'm sure you know. They're fried up and taste like anything else fried.

Where in Isaan are you planning on going? I have some suggestions for you. :)

1. Do your best to find out what language they speak and learn a few words. It will go a long way. There is Kamair (Cambodia), Lao(s), some thai, and Isaan. Ask your girlfriend. Most of the questions they'll ask you are very basic. Where are you from? Do you have any whiskey? Do you have any smokes?

2. If you DO smoke, HIDE YOUR GOOD STASH. They will be gone the first day. They don't hesitate to ask for something you have. Buy a shit ton of the cheaper cigs from 7-11 and hand those out. Hide your good cigs in the pack with the other ones. lol

3. If you DO drink. HIDE THAT STASH TOO! I like to drink Rum or Scotch. If you drink any of the aged stuff they HATE it. So you can bring some of the stuff you like (the cheapest version) so they can try it. and you can forget about them EVER asking you for any of your stash again. LOL They LOVE the thai whiskey and rum. It's very cheap but remember the more you have the more friends you will have.

4. The first time you go to Isaan the entire village (and prob a lot more) will be there to meet you. Expect a VERY long day. MANY drunk isaan people. People will want to tie a string around your wrist and let them do it. Sawatdee them afterwards. Learn how to Sawatdee kop them. HUGE DEAL.

REMEMBER! The more alcohol and food you have there, the longer you will have people staying there. They can party ALL NIGHT LONG. They will ALL want to do shots with you. Try not to get too wasted. Just do small shots and if they pour give them the bigger shot. It gets old pretty quick though because there are a LOT of alcoholics here.

A. WHEN YOU FIRST MEET HER MOM, DAD, ANYONE there for the first time. Do a very nice sawadee kop. If you don't that will be a HUGE deal. It's almost very disrespectful if you don't. After the first time everythings jelly though.If you don't remember that you met them or not just do it anyway.

5. Before you go to her village. STOCK UP on stuff from 7-11 or whatever you fancy. There is a strong likelyhood that you'll be miles and kilos' away from any type of real store. So if you want falang food bring that shit. Be sure to remember if they like it, (if you show them) it will be gone VERY quick. I can say with certainty they absolutely HATE cheese. So bring whatever you want with that. Any sweets are fair game.

6 Put locks on all your bags and keep them locked in the rental car. (I assume). There's a small chance someone would take something. Though if they got caught the village would probably kill them.

7. Don't be surprised if you see them kicking dogs or cats. They will throw a cat across the room and no one will blink. Try not to make a big deal about it.

8. If you have a friend here BRING HIM. You're not going to understand ANYTHING they say. You'll be basically just sitting there smiling and they'll talk about you.Try to talk to you. You might get bored (keep your celly charged with games or something on it. But try not to make it too obvious).

9. Make sure your family knows exactly where you are. If you have an IPHONE or I anything. It likely has a GPS antenna in it. No cell service needed. It will pinpoint your exact coordinates. I got tom tom from the itunes store for $60 or somethign like that for se easia. Get it.! Worth every penny. I'd be willing to pay much more for it. Surprised how super accurate it is. It'll make you feel a little more comfortable too. Plus if you wanna book out of there quick you'll know how to! lol

10 Make sure you DO have a way out of there. There are some crazy stuff that can go down. I've nearly gotten into a couple of fights with some jealous guys. They'll only try to fight in groups though. One on one don't worry. They're usually drunk so don't take it personally. They wanna fight everyone. This happened outside the village I'm staying in. So ifyou act meek they won't get jealous. Jealous is VERY prevalent here. They're not afraid to show it either.

11. When you're wearing clothes, dress humble. This is not phuket where you can walk around without a shirt on or ever a sleeveless shirt. Shorts of course are fine but keep it very tactful.

12. NEVER EVER EVER let them know how much money you have or make. They could ask you. NEVER tell them. ALWAYS make it seem like you're nearly broke. If you buy something once they will expect it more often. Occasionally is okay. Try not to make a habbit of it. You're only as good as what you did 5 seconds ago.

13 Bring antibiotics with you. Know where the hospital is.

14 If you're in the middle of no where have AIS for your SIM card. Good chance none of the other ones won't work. 1 to Call. There's a good chance you won't have internet either so if you want to get online there's probably a internet cafe within 10 klicks.

15. Don't be afraid to say no. Your gf is prob going to want you to build a house and stuff and get married. If she wants you to buy something and is talking about it in front of other people say you don't have the money. Don't just tell her no. lol

BEST OF LUCK! Bring someone! It'll be a lot easier to digest.. I'll come meet with ya if you're not too far away.

Please tell me it is.

Surely it has to be.

I'm sorry to be the shocker for you but I'm not making it up! 50 baht here is about a third to a half of day on the farm. You have no idea what poor is until you come here. They live mostly off the land so any extra money can go quite far. They eat bugs I'm sure you know. They're fried up and taste like anything else fried.

Where in Isaan are you planning on going? I have some suggestions for you. smile.png

1. Do your best to find out what language they speak and learn a few words. It will go a long way. There is Kamair (Cambodia), Lao(s), some thai, and Isaan. Ask your girlfriend. Most of the questions they'll ask you are very basic. Where are you from? Do you have any whiskey? Do you have any smokes?

2. If you DO smoke, HIDE YOUR GOOD STASH. They will be gone the first day. They don't hesitate to ask for something you have. Buy a shit ton of the cheaper cigs from 7-11 and hand those out. Hide your good cigs in the pack with the other ones. lol

3. If you DO drink. HIDE THAT STASH TOO! I like to drink Rum or Scotch. If you drink any of the aged stuff they HATE it. So you can bring some of the stuff you like (the cheapest version) so they can try it. and you can forget about them EVER asking you for any of your stash again. LOL They LOVE the thai whiskey and rum. It's very cheap but remember the more you have the more friends you will have.

4. The first time you go to Isaan the entire village (and prob a lot more) will be there to meet you. Expect a VERY long day. MANY drunk isaan people. People will want to tie a string around your wrist and let them do it. Sawatdee them afterwards. Learn how to Sawatdee kop them. HUGE DEAL.

REMEMBER! The more alcohol and food you have there, the longer you will have people staying there. They can party ALL NIGHT LONG. They will ALL want to do shots with you. Try not to get too wasted. Just do small shots and if they pour give them the bigger shot. It gets old pretty quick though because there are a LOT of alcoholics here.

A. WHEN YOU FIRST MEET HER MOM, DAD, ANYONE there for the first time. Do a very nice sawadee kop. If you don't that will be a HUGE deal. It's almost very disrespectful if you don't. After the first time everythings jelly though.If you don't remember that you met them or not just do it anyway.

5. Before you go to her village. STOCK UP on stuff from 7-11 or whatever you fancy. There is a strong likelyhood that you'll be miles and kilos' away from any type of real store. So if you want falang food bring that shit. Be sure to remember if they like it, (if you show them) it will be gone VERY quick. I can say with certainty they absolutely HATE cheese. So bring whatever you want with that. Any sweets are fair game.

6 Put locks on all your bags and keep them locked in the rental car. (I assume). There's a small chance someone would take something. Though if they got caught the village would probably kill them.

7. Don't be surprised if you see them kicking dogs or cats. They will throw a cat across the room and no one will blink. Try not to make a big deal about it.

8. If you have a friend here BRING HIM. You're not going to understand ANYTHING they say. You'll be basically just sitting there smiling and they'll talk about you.Try to talk to you. You might get bored (keep your celly charged with games or something on it. But try not to make it too obvious).

9. Make sure your family knows exactly where you are. If you have an IPHONE or I anything. It likely has a GPS antenna in it. No cell service needed. It will pinpoint your exact coordinates. I got tom tom from the itunes store for $60 or somethign like that for se easia. Get it.! Worth every penny. I'd be willing to pay much more for it. Surprised how super accurate it is. It'll make you feel a little more comfortable too. Plus if you wanna book out of there quick you'll know how to! lol

10 Make sure you DO have a way out of there. There are some crazy stuff that can go down. I've nearly gotten into a couple of fights with some jealous guys. They'll only try to fight in groups though. One on one don't worry. They're usually drunk so don't take it personally. They wanna fight everyone. This happened outside the village I'm staying in. So ifyou act meek they won't get jealous. Jealous is VERY prevalent here. They're not afraid to show it either.

11. When you're wearing clothes, dress humble. This is not phuket where you can walk around without a shirt on or ever a sleeveless shirt. Shorts of course are fine but keep it very tactful.

12. NEVER EVER EVER let them know how much money you have or make. They could ask you. NEVER tell them. ALWAYS make it seem like you're nearly broke. If you buy something once they will expect it more often. Occasionally is okay. Try not to make a habbit of it. You're only as good as what you did 5 seconds ago.

14 If you're in the middle of no where have AIS for your SIM card. Good chance none of the other ones won't work. 1 to Call. There's a good chance you won't have internet either so if you want to get online there's probably a internet cafe within 10 klicks.

15. Don't be afraid to say no. Your gf is prob going to want you to build a house and stuff and get married. If she wants you to buy something and is talking about it in front of other people say you don't have the money. Don't just tell her no. lol

BEST OF LUCK! Bring someone! It'll be a lot easier to digest.. I'll come meet with ya if you're not too far away.

WoW, I'm lost for words, I'm really trying to take that all in.

Talk about culture shock.

I'm beginning to really fathom the vast cultural differences between us westerners and country Thai folk.

Yes she speaks an Isaan dialect as well as Thai, I'll find out, she tells me her parents are rice farmers in Ubon, I'll find out where.

She also tells me, they are very poor and I'll be shocked when I see the house they live in.

They live with extended family, her sisters, some nephews.

So no espresso coffee for me and eggs benedict in the morning, and I can leave my 4G phone at home?

Are there any golf courses arounf up there?

I feel quite intimidated now, about going.

I am still reeling over eating the family pet. E

Everything else you have written has made me very apprehensive about travelling up there.

was going to go Nokair phuket to Ubon for a few days to see her home, with her.

I'll get some more info

Please tell me it is.

Surely it has to be.

Where in Isaan are you planning on going? I have some suggestions for you. smile.png

WoW, I'm lost for words, I'm really trying to take that all in.

Talk about culture shock.

I'm beginning to really fathom the vast cultural differences between us westerners and country Thai folk.

Yes she speaks an Isaan dialect as well as Thai, I'll find out, she tells me her parents are rice farmers in Ubon, I'll find out where.

She also tells me, they are very poor and I'll be shocked when I see the house they live in.

They live with extended family, her sisters, some nephews.

So no espresso coffee for me and eggs benedict in the morning, and I can leave my 4G phone at home?

Are there any golf courses arounf up there?

I feel quite intimidated now, about going.

I am still reeling over eating the family pet. E

Everything else you have written has made me very apprehensive about travelling up there.

was going to go Nokair phuket to Ubon for a few days to see her home, with her.

I'll get some more info

Please don't get the wrong idea. Overall, It has been one of the best experiences of my life. You might be like me and fall in love with the clean crisp air.. Seeing people working in the rice paddy's. I LOVE going cast net fishing on a daily basis.. The primitive tasks of hunting and gathering to survive. I'm not trying to talk you out of it but it is a LOT different than the normal Thai places. I'm only telling you this stuff just trying to prepare you. Just like all other Thai places I've been there are things I LOVE about it and things not so much. My main gripes are how annoying the drunks and crazy's are.. But that's anywhere. My GF's mom has a small shop and sells whiskey. So of course they're going to be coming around here more than usual..

but One other thing I forgot to tell you.. Just know that you going to her home and STAYING at their home is also a very big deal. It's a step away from being engaged. If you REALLY love this girl then by all means go meet her family. If you just met her .. maybe consider waiting..

. I dont know any of my neighbors that don't have a rice farm. It's usually just a small patch of land away from the house where everyone has their rice growing. .

If they're near ubon there are good chance they're speaking Kamair. We're really close to Cambodia. Some easy border crossings to do over here.

Stay in a Hotel. There are TONS of hotels everywhere. It's a massive needed buffer that was GREAT for me. It eased me into the whole situation over a period of idk a month or two. A 4 star hotel I stayed in was 500 baht a night lol Mueng Sisaket. I can't speak for Ubon but there is a golf course in Mueng SiSaket. If her family's within an hour from a big city. I would highly recommend booking a hotel to stay it. It'll be your best bet and you won't be overwhelmed with staying in close proximity with complete strangers. lol. Have you tried the isaan style toilets yet? Shit hurt my knees at first lol now i can handle it fine lol

Here's a video of me catching some fish in the middle of nowhere. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_pzuI9wb4&feature=plcp&context=C392ae96UDOEgsToPDskJAQQPy8Y-aaUxAFXBrTYq6

Here's a video of her family and friends at the gf's birthday party..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-1wL0wp5r8&feature=related

(The 'house' you see is her mom's store. we stay in a much bigger house behind that) Generally people are very friendly and laugh a lot.. They're very happy out here! Sorry if I scared you too much. I think if you know these things before you go you won't be so surprised.

Just to balance it out will throw in a few things from experience:

• Mosquito repellant - take some with you, I buy one in an orange aerosol which works. At work so cannot remember name.
  • A bottle of Betadine and some cotton buds, for when the mozzies still get you etc
  • If you have a laptop then a AIS aircard will give you internet if there is an AIS signal, will not be 3g though and with all the new smartphones will be slow.
  • A couple of rolls of toilet paper in the luggage, along with the book "Using a squatting toilet 101".
  • A large wash cloth. Having tried using the Thai pot of cold water and failed, using a wet wash cloth followed by a rinse is much easier.
  • A good book for when the GF wants to sit, eat, drink, talk with her friends and family in Thai. Gives you something to do instead of sitting there bored.
  • Small gifts for the family. Remember as you start you will be expected to continue, let the GF be the guide. Everytime we go to the village we take some food that cannot be sourced locally ie dried seafood etc, ensure is double bagged so no smell in luggage.
  • Accept that as a visitor you are going to end up buying lots of food for the family, friends etc etc. As mentioned previously if they are farmers they may not have much spare cash. Total cost rarely exceeds the equivalent of a few beers at a bar.
  • If the local kids are not used to expats then expect them to be a bit shy. No rush they will get used to you.
  • The local food can be a bit of a culture shock, cats and dogs aside. They are generally poor people and any form of protien to supplement the rice is fair game.
  • If the local food, drink etc does not to revolting the give it a try, you may be surprised. If it does look revolting wait till pissed and then try.
  • When trying new foods and drinks take it easy as will be something the system is not used to, and overindulgence can result in you becoming expert in the use of the squatter in a very short time.
  • Be prepared to feel like the new exhibit in the zoo, it will ease up after a while. If in doubt smile and look confused.

Cheers

Just to balance it out will throw in a few things from experience:

• Mosquito repellant - take some with you, I buy one in an orange aerosol which works. At work so cannot remember name.
  • A bottle of Betadine and some cotton buds, for when the mozzies still get you etc
  • If you have a laptop then a AIS aircard will give you internet if there is an AIS signal, will not be 3g though and with all the new smartphones will be slow.
  • A couple of rolls of toilet paper in the luggage, along with the book "Using a squatting toilet 101".
  • A large wash cloth. Having tried using the Thai pot of cold water and failed, using a wet wash cloth followed by a rinse is much easier.
  • A good book for when the GF wants to sit, eat, drink, talk with her friends and family in Thai. Gives you something to do instead of sitting there bored.
  • Small gifts for the family. Remember as you start you will be expected to continue, let the GF be the guide. Everytime we go to the village we take some food that cannot be sourced locally ie dried seafood etc, ensure is double bagged so no smell in luggage.
  • Accept that as a visitor you are going to end up buying lots of food for the family, friends etc etc. As mentioned previously if they are farmers they may not have much spare cash. Total cost rarely exceeds the equivalent of a few beers at a bar.
  • If the local kids are not used to expats then expect them to be a bit shy. No rush they will get used to you.
  • The local food can be a bit of a culture shock, cats and dogs aside. They are generally poor people and any form of protien to supplement the rice is fair game.
  • If the local food, drink etc does not to revolting the give it a try, you may be surprised. If it does look revolting wait till pissed and then try.
  • When trying new foods and drinks take it easy as will be something the system is not used to, and overindulgence can result in you becoming expert in the use of the squatter in a very short time.
  • Be prepared to feel like the new exhibit in the zoo, it will ease up after a while. If in doubt smile and look confused.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHbBAai0bM&feature=related how could i forget the mosquito repellent. I just bought a ton online. Sunscreen too! Big C has the banana sports sunscreen. Seems to work pretty good.

Hi

I asked her where she comes from in Ubon, she told me she cant spell it, but it's about 40 min drive from Ubon airport. Her Isaan dialect she says is the same one the Laos people speak. I am waiting for her to send me a message with exact details of her village. I priced some air asia flights from HKT to Ubon wasn't too bad about Baht return 2 people. But she is having difficulty getting time off from her job. we might have top wait for another 3 mths for that.

Found out where she comes from,

Lao Suea Kok Ubon Ratchathani

So What's that area like, hopefully not full of potential cat eaters.

Every time I think of that story, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It tears me between hilarity and abhorrent disgust.

I could throw in a joke about eating pussy, but then I think of the gravity of what happened, we live in such different worlds, I live in a middle class suburb and people around here spend shit loads on their pets. Just in vet care, toys, hydrobaths, exotic foods, there is such disparity between our worlds.

I have told maybe 4 or 5 people that story, and not one person here in Brisbane believes it.

The family cat going in the cooking pot.