Pheu Thai And Red Shirts Split On Changes To The Charter

webfact

Editor of Voice of Taksin jailed for 10 years on lese majeste charge

The Criminal Court on Wednesday sentenced a magazine editor to ten years in jail after finding him guilty of lese majeste.

Somyot Pruksakasemsuk, editor of Voice of Taksin, was jailed for publishing articles in his March 2010 edition.

He earlier told the court that the article was written by Jakkrapob Penkair under a pen name of Jit Pollachan, a red leader who was issued arrest warrant on terrorism charge and escaped out of the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-23

Edited by Buchholz

somyos-1_zps1dd96c70.jpg

Red Shirt Leader and Red Shirt magazine Voice of Taksin Editor Somyos Prueksakasemsuk being led off to prison.

Khaosod

http://www.khaosod.c...9PQ==&subcatid=

And the chickens come home to roost.

In any society there have to be limits. I have forgotten the specifics of the case, but obviously someone felt he had gone way beyond societies limits, no matter what we think of Lese majesty per se. It's pretty clear there have been red segments that have [pushed as hard or harder than most dare to and here is a case of going too far. Whether 10 years too far is just, is another story, but even after Das Torpedo got 17 years, this guy still tweaked the lion's whiskers and got pawed away hard... Publishing a poison pen article from a absconded accused terrorist, Jakkrapob Penkair, was probably not the brightest move.

Edited by animatic

somyos-1_zps1dd96c70.jpg

Red Shirt Leader and Red Shirt magazine Voice of Taksin Editor Somyos Prueksakasemsuk being led off to prison.

Khaosod

In any society there have to be limits. I have forgotten the specifics of the case, but obviously someone felt he had gone way beyond societies limits, no matter what we think of Lese majesty per se. It's pretty clear there have been red segments that have [pushed as hard or harder than most dare to and here is a case of going too far. Whether 10 years too far is just, is another story, but even after Das Torpedo got 17 years, this guy still tweaked the lion's whiskers and got pawed away hard... Publishing a poison pen article from a absconded accused terrorist, Jakkrapob Penkair, was probably not the brightest move.

Have you or I ever seen one red shirt leader, follower perform a "bright move"? Not me.
  • Like 1

I don't read Thai very well, but I did look a few issues of the Voice of Taksin magazine and the headlines for the various articles praised regicides like Cromwell and Lenin.

I don't know if those were the articles that he got dinged for, but they were pretty provocative, especially when they featured pictures of King Chula and his family visiting the Czar a decade or so before Nicholas & his family were executed.

I don't read Thai very well, but I did look a few issues of the Voice of Taksin magazine and the headlines for the various articles praised regicides like Cromwell and Lenin.

I don't know if those were the articles that he got dinged for, but they were pretty provocative, especially when they featured pictures of King Chula and his family visiting the Czar a decade or so before Nicholas & his family were executed.

As per Post # 31, the specific issue he was convicted for is March 2010.

Googling Voice of Taksin March 2010 reveals a link to Manager News article published at the time that depicts the magazine cover and the subjects that Red Shirt Leader Somyos was subsequently convicted for in that particular issue.

Edited by Buchholz

I see today that incarcerated Red Shirt Leader and Red Shirt magazine Voice of Taksin Editor Somyos had his bail request denied again.

Red Shirt lawyer Karom Polthaklang had filed the request along with posting 1.7 million baht of land title deeds as a bond.

It might be another wedge being developed between PTP and the Red Shirts.

another setback for Red Shirt Leader Somyos today...

Constitution Court rules Article 112 not unconstitutional

The Constitution Court ruled Wednesday that Article 112 of the Criminal Code that defines penalties against those who commit lese majeste does not violate the charter.

Constitution Court judges voted unanimously to uphold the constitutionality of the article.

Somyos Prueksakasemsuk, a defender in a lese majeste case, sough the ruling, alleging that Article 112 violated Articles 3, 29 and 45 of the Constitution.

But the court ruled that the article is aimed at keeping law and order and does not contradict with any article of the charter.

The Nation 2012-10-10

Tomorrow, the Criminal Court of Bangkok is scheduled to render its verdict on the charges that Red Shirt Leader Somyos Prueksakasemsuk faces.

http://www.thaivisa....2/#entry5946553

In Thaksin's view, idealists like Somyos have served their purpose and are no longer useful. In fact, they are now a potential danger as they could turn on him if they actually open their eyes and saw what his goals are. I predict that Somyos, Da Torpedo and others of their ilk will stay safely out of sight in jail, where they can serve as martyred figures, rather than being released on bail or freed where they might start asking embarrassing questions.

Indeed it's interesting to note that this government seems not to be helping those red shirts that are awaiting trail. It all about one man and one man only,TS.

More information now on the sentencing of Red Shirt Leader and Red Shirt magazine Voice of Taksin Editor Somyos.

He was actually sentenced to 11 years in prison.

Five years each on the two charges he was found guilty of today.

Additionally, as a repeat offender, the Criminal Court also cancelled a previously suspended one year prison sentence for the same offense that he was found guilty of in 2009.

This is an old Thread of January 2012, it's now January 2013,and they are still no further forth.

Changing the Constitution to suit one man,who absconded to Dubai to escape a Prison sentence has proved to be far more difficult for the Shinawatra clan than was originally thought.

Those that attempt to absolve the guilty,when guilt is patently obvious,must know it's a tricky business,and hard work,so is changing History to suit a Scheming Corrupt,Meglomaniac Crook! who has created a minefield,and split a Country in two,for his own selfish ends!

Does _anyone_ know what exactly should/would/could be amended? Seems to be lots of in-principle murmuring of "we should amend...", but no clear statement/proposition of "amend what?" and "why".

Good points what is it they want amended why do they want it amended and what do they propose to do.

So far it is shaping up as amend any thing to any thing as long as it will help them gain power.

Up to now there has been no disclosure of what the benefits for the people would be or the Country. Only the benefits for one man,what could be termed Thaksinocracy!

Up to now there has been no disclosure of what the benefits for the people would be or the Country. Only the benefits for one man,what could be termed Thaksinocracy!

Didn't PM-Yingluck recently say, something along the lines of, it's necessary because foreign governments would like it, and think Thailand less of a faux-democracy ?

So clearly one benefit would be to reduce the embarrassment, which she has to put up with, when on shopping-trips diplomatic-visits.

Oh, and of course to assist 'reconciliation' by giving an amnesty to their political-enemies (as well as their own side), the likes of the PAD & former-PM Abhisit, did Khun Thida really understand her party would be doing things like that, when she & her fellow Red-leaders were campaigning for PTP and justice in the run-up to the last election ?

Didn't PM-Yingluck recently say, something along the lines of, it's necessary because foreign governments would like it, and think Thailand less of a faux-democracy ?

So clearly one benefit would be to reduce the embarrassment, which she has to put up with, when on shopping-trips diplomatic-visits.

Oh, and of course to assist 'reconciliation' by giving an amnesty to their political-enemies (as well as their own side), the likes of the PAD & former-PM Abhisit, did Khun Thida really understand her party would be doing things like that, when she & her fellow Red-leaders were campaigning for PTP and justice in the run-up to the last election ?

I wouldn't believe that Thida was thinking beyond,paving the way for Thaksins return.

• Like 1

somyos-1_zps1dd96c70.jpg

Khaosod

Have you or I ever seen one red shirt leader, follower perform a "bright move"? Not me.

Well I have to give Veera some credit for almost completely dropping off the grid in the last year or two.

All the other loose cannons have kept up their tricks in a big way, but he's gone mostly silently to ground.

He always seemed truly angry for the poor's state, but also thoughtful about his chances to improve things.

I think he realized his goals can not be met in any way hanging in with this crew further.

I think the though processes lead him to move on while he still had the option.

Edited by animatic