Bedouin tribesmen kidnap 25 Chinese workers in Egypt's Sinai

News_Editor

Bedouin tribesmen kidnap 25 Chinese workers in Egypt's Sinai

2012-02-01 08:34:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) -- Bedouian tribesmen have kidnapped at least 25 Chinese workers in Egypt's central Sinai, officials at the Chinese embassy in Cairo told the Xinhua news agency on Tuesday.

The Chinese nationals, who work for a cement factory, were riding a bus to their plant when they were stopped by locals in the northern Sinai town of Arish. The 24 workers and a translator were then taken to a makeshift tent nearby, commercial affairs counselor of the embassy Ma Jianchun told Xinhua.

Chinese Ambassador Song Aiguo has urged Egyptian authorities to put the safety of the Chinese workers first, properly handle the incident and secure their release as soon as possible. Some of the workers have kept contact with the embassy through their mobile phone, and the group is believed to be in a good condition.

Egyptian security forces have rushed to the area to negotiate with local tribal leaders. The local people are demanding the Egyptian government release their relatives detained several years ago because of suspected involvement in attacks in south Sinai between 2004 and 2006.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-01

The Bedouin are special. They have balls and aren't afraid of anyone. Any Israeli or Egyptian that doesn't have a healthy respect the characteristics of the Bedouins is going to learn it the hard way. Yes, I know, I should say bad Bedouin here, but so far, they haven't hurt anyone and hopefully this is resolved in a peaceful manner.

The Bedouin are special. They have balls and aren't afraid of anyone. Any Israeli or Egyptian that doesn't have a healthy respect the characteristics of the Bedouins is going to learn it the hard way. Yes, I know, I should say bad Bedouin here, but so far, they haven't hurt anyone and hopefully this is resolved in a peaceful manner.

Quite a romantic point of view there :-).

The main thing that changed is that during the 2011 revolution, Egypt's security forces lost some control over the Sinai peninsula. The Bedouins were quick to take advantage of the situation. That's about it.

Over all the time Sinai was controlled by Egypt and Israel there wasn't any mass revolt, and relatively not that many acts of aggression. Not too much of "learning the hard way" and no one ever gave them "healthy respect" - which is kinda why they're upset.

As for being special...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12089445

Similar reports exist, some more gruesome in nature.