Obama publicly confirms existence of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan

News_Editor

Obama publicly confirms existence of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan

2012-02-01 08:08:43 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Monday, for the first time during his presidency, publicly acknowledged that U.S. drones regularly strike suspected militants along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The U.S. government does normally not comment on the CIA drone strikes as they are considered to be a secret, but it is widely known that the U.S. government has authorized them. The use of drone strikes has increased substantially under the Obama administration.

Obama made the comments during a web interview which was broadcast live on the video-sharing website YouTube and social networking website Google+. Reports said the White House did not see or approve the questions in advance, and Obama appeared surprised when he was asked the question.

One of the viewers asked Obama's views on the controversial drone strikes and if he feels the 'many' civilian casualties are worth it. But Obama rejected the assertion that U.S. drones have caused many casualties, saying they are precision strikes which target terrorists.

"Actually drones have not caused a huge number of civilian casualties," the president said. "For the most part they've been very precise, precision strikes against al-Qaeda and their affiliates. And we are very careful in terms of how it has been applied. So, I think there is this perception somehow that we are just sending in a whole bunch of strikes willy-nilly. This is a targeted, focused effort at people who are on a list of active terrorists who are trying to go in and harm Americans, hit American facilities, American bases and so on."

But Obama's response was challenged by another viewer who asked if the drones send the message that the U.S. government is interfering in the affairs of other countries. The Pakistani government publicly condemns the U.S. drone attacks, but intelligence reports indicate they have regularly assisted and allowed the U.S. government to carry them out.

"I think we have to be judicious in how we use drones, but understand that probably our ability to respect the sovereignty of other countries and to limit our incursions into somebody else's territory is enhanced by the fact that we are able to pinpoint strike an al-Qaeda operative in a place where the capacities of the military in that country may not be able to get them," Obama responded.

The president acknowledged that 'a lot of these strikes' have been in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan, targeting al-Qaeda suspects who are in tough terrain along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. "For us to be able to get them in another way would involve probably a lot more intrusive military action than the one we are already engaging in," he said. "That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful about how we proceed on this."

Obama said he is looking forward to a time where al-Qaeda is no longer an operative network, but said it remains an issue to be dealt with. "There are still active plots that are directed against the United States, and I think we are on the offense now," he said. "Al-Qaeda has been really weakened but we still got a little more work to do, and we gotta make sure that we are using all our capacities in order to deal with it."

Asked on Tuesday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney refused to say whether Obama made a mistake by acknowledging the classified drone program. "I'm not going to discuss broadly or specifically supposed covert programs," he said. "I would just point you to what he said."

Few details about casualties from the strikes are available, but allegations of civilian casualties regularly spark protests in Pakistan. According to the Washington-based think tank New America Foundation, as many as 2,680 individuals were killed as a result of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan between 2004 and early 2012.

According to a report released by the Conflict Monitoring Center earlier this month, at least 609 people were killed as a result of 75 drone strikes in Pakistan in 2011 alone. The group has documented 303 drone strikes since 2004, with a total death toll of at least 2,661.

The U.S. considers the Pakistan-Afghan border to be the most dangerous place on Earth. The area is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, which is one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

But controversy has surrounded the drone strikes as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the alleged militants are usually not provided, and the U.S. government does not comment on the strikes.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-01

Say it ain't so!! Really?

See what happens when "the White House did not see or approve the questions in advance"

That whole "White House did not see or approve the questions in advance" is an abomination.

Any citizen should be allowed to pose any question to their elected officials & maybe just maybe even have it answered truthfully.

Edited by flying

Say it ain't so!! Really?

See what happens when "the White House did not see or approve the questions in advance"

That whole "White House did not see or approve the questions in advance" is an abomination.

Any citizen should be allowed to pose any question to their elected officials & maybe just maybe even have it answered truthfully.

Agreed, but it also shows how Obama does without his teleprompter.

the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, which is one of the top terrorist organizations ...

Do they have some Top 10 or Top 100 list of the best terrorists groups? How are these rankings compiled? What makes a terrorist organization to a top terrorist organization?

the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, which is one of the top terrorist organizations ...

Do they have some Top 10 or Top 100 list of the best terrorists groups? How are these rankings compiled? What makes a terrorist organization to a top terrorist organization?

Maybe their songs are better or they have a good football team. There seems to be enough terrorist organisations now to start their own premier league.

Maybe their songs are better or they have a good football team. There seems to be enough terrorist organisations now to start their own premier league.

They don't allow songs, except of course 'The sound of silence'.

It is rather interesting to note there are posters that seem to think there is something amusing about terrorist organizations.

I was going to open a sweepstake on how long that post would take, but you didn't give me enough time. Don't fall off that soap box now, it's a long way up.

It is rather interesting to note there are posters that seem to think there is something amusing about terrorist organizations.

TOP terrorist organizations and not just terrorists organization. That was the interesting point here that deserved a note.

@Flying, Yes I had that pack, now don't be so naive you know I was referring to the worldwide networked religious terror organization as oppose to a secular tyrant interested only inn his own local sphere of influence.

P.S As to my previous avatar I would point you to the current thread concerning Norway.

Edited by Steely Dan

@Flying, Yes I had that pack, now don't be so naive you know I was referring to the worldwide networked religious terror organization

Sorry never met any of those you fear

Truth is I doubt anyone that isn't invading their country ever would

Do the same with radical Islamist Imans and publish under your own name then see how long you would last.

Are you kidding? Perhaps you dont remember the decks of cards that were circulated all over the USA last decade?

Truth is you would be in more trouble for the torture cards.....

Besides

No harm came to you for your previous avatar eh?

If you had made that posts with an IP address that pinpoints you to somewhere in North Waziristan, a drone were allready on its way and a precise, precision strike had targeted your computer, installed a patriotic Midi file with an annoying melody, destroyed all memory folder with Un-American content, destroyed the soapbox, melted the eagle, destroyed your house and the house next door and had killed all al-Qaeda members and their affiliates in your village.

You are now liberated and have the right of free speech. Use right buzz words or someone will find it interesting enough to take notes.