Driving License Renewel

m3dave

My 1 year motorcycle runs out in 2 days ive got 2 1" photos copy of visa page copy of non o page copy of photo page medical cert ( never even saw the doc?) passport and old license, ive trawled all the old posts and everyone says something different. do i need an immigration proof of residency , or will my old license suffice, ? many thanks dave

No need for photos, they are now taken at the LTO.

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car bring two copies each of:

• Main page of passport.
  • Visa/Permission to stay page of passport.
  • Last entry stamp and TM card.
  • Residence certificate, Work permit or Yellow Tabien Baan.
  • Medical certificate, (sometimes required sometimes not).

Also bring you passport along with your recent license(s). Note that you need to let your temporary license expire, before you can apply for the 5 year one.

Edited by MTH

you what MTH said....i needed the medical certificate and the certificate of residency...

i was told i had 60 days BEFORE it expired to get my 5 year license..

this was in writing from the land transportation info desk in chiang mai.

I believe that you have to wait until your 1-year provisional licence has expired before you can apply for a 5-year one. The procedure states that an applicant for a 5-year licence must have held a provisional licence for one year. There are no exceptions so the Road Traffic Office/Licencing Centre sticks to that.

I understood you had up to 1 year after it expires to renew, I have car and bike licence and they expire at different times, I want to have them in sync and on my last visit to the office they just said to let the bike licence expire for 3 months then I could renew both at the same time

well i got it yesterday, mth was right you need all that plus a photocopy of back and front of license, plus now you have to do the test again colour chart, depth perception (same way they used to test ww2 bomber pilots) and spacial awareness, then 360 bht lighter you get your license, took 4 hours and they wernt that busy, while your waiting go round the back and watch the thais do the driving test specially the parellel ? parking after 10 attempts it seems they still pass! its worth going just to watch. any way thanks for the advice. Dave