Going To Uk For A While, Best Bank No Hassle Etc?

DEVATSAR

Hi all, im currently with the NATWEST in the UK, since ive been living here in Thiland (about a year) its been a bloody nightmare with this "UK HELPFULL BANK" trying to transfer money into my Thai ,Cannot Do, need a " CARD READER" to transfer money from one UK bank to another UK bank. I can via internet banking transfer money from my NAT WEST account into another NAT WEST account.

All i want is a SIMPLE no nonsence bank that will allow me to do the following when I go back next week to UK

1 Transfer money from the UK bank to my Thailand Bank (kasikorrn) quickly without any hassle or bloody card reader etc

2. Allow me to use a debit card here in Thailand, say drawing 500 UK POUNDS A DAY IF NEEDED.

3, 24 HOURS TELEPHONE BANKING and a 24 HOUR helpine in ENGLISH.

I have been informed its not that easy in some banks to open up a bank account Views ?

Cheers All

paul

Not so simple these days to get a new account.

Most banks require a card reader. With Barclays you can change your on-line banking access once you are logged on with a card reader. You can get a free card reader while you are in the UK.

£500 a day? Why not ask the bank while you are there to upgrade you from your present amount?

Barclays offer me 24 hours a day telephone banking.

Opening a new account on line they say you will need

loansticklb.gifYour address(es) for the last three years

loansticklb.gifYour income and employment details, including full business address

loansticklb.gifDetails of your other financial arrangements such as your mortgage or store card account.

Opening an account in the local branch they say you will need

Your Personal Banker will discuss your needs and help you choose the best account for you. This can typically take up to 60 minutes, depending on your personal circumstances.

We'll also need to check your identity and in some cases see proof of address. If you have a UK passport or UK photocard driving licence, great – bring one of those. List of acceptable ID

If you're moving from another UK bank, it'll also help if you can bring along a statement from the last 3 months – we'll look to match any existing facilities such as overdraft limits.

Edited by pattayadingo

Open an account offhore, they are used to dealing with people who live overseas as the majority of their account holders neither live on, nor have ever visited, the Isle of Man.

Edit: oh, and no need to go back to UK to do it, you can open accounts from Thailand.

Edited by PattayaParent

I'm with Natwest also and I can sympathize with you at how unhelpful they are.

Two weeks ago, they cancelled my debit card with no warning and I was unable to withdraw money from the ATM in Thailand. They said they had sent another card to my parents address which they didn't do so I had to request another card to be sent out which can take up to 5 working days. Then I'd have to wait however long it takes for the post to arrive from the UK. So I was going to be stuck without cash for some time...

So I transferred the money to another account I had with Natwest but I didn't know the pin so they sent out another pin to my parents address which takes 3 working days. After 4 days, I ring my family to get my pin as I'm desperate for cash and the pin hasn't even arrived! Then when I spoke to them, a new pin hadn't even been requested on the system!

I have been 2 and half weeks without any access to my own money now. Furious is not the word!

Also, as for the card reader - if you know anyone who has their card reader with them here in Thailand, ask if you can borrow it. I have found that any card reader from any bank works with every card. I use my Natwest card reader for my other bank accounts in different banks and works fine.

My friend uses Barclays and hasn't had one problem in all the 6 years she's been living here so I would consider Barclays if I was ever to open another account in the hope it would be hassle free.

It seems all banks are using these card readers nowadays.

HSBC is OK, no major traumas but I don't use their debit/credit cards.

Does anyone know if while in UK you can say you've lost your card reader and get another issued. Then have 2 card readers (one as back up). Asking this as when something does happen you have to go in your "nearest branch" to get a replacement.

Does anyone know if while in UK you can say you've lost your card reader and get another issued. Then have 2 card readers (one as back up). Asking this as when something does happen you have to go in your "nearest branch" to get a replacement.

You can request another card reader with no problems at all.

I am with Metrobank, no foreign charges. Went from Nationwide, so far been very good, card printed in bank for you, you put all your security information on the computer in the Bank. Downside for you might be £300 a day withdrawal limit and at the moment only in the London area. ONline banking, English speakers in England, have alook on line see what you think.www. metrobankonline.co.uk

i worked for barclays for 14 years,but for peace of mind,and ease of international transactions,and on line facilties,i dont think you can beat hsbc,if your based abroad,but you can not beat barclays for service,if based in uk,just my experience in dealing with both banks.

i have joint accounts,so 2 card readers,though i must admit only used one in the last few years.