Last Year'S Unsold Bikes...

4evermaat

The problem I see is that there are no last year's bikes. They are either the ones that have been sold or the ones that are still at the dealers. The date of manufacture maybe last year but if there have been no cosmetic changes...

They don't register the bike until you buy it so if you buy it now it will be 2012.

All this model year hype is a US marketing invention to boost end of year / fall sales. In the spring everyone's sap rises so no need for hype. In UK they change the license plate prefix/suffix in September for the same reason.

The problem I see is that there are no last year's bikes. They are either the ones that have been sold or the ones that are still at the dealers. The date of manufacture maybe last year but if there have been no cosmetic changes...

They don't register the bike until you buy it so if you buy it now it will be 2012.

All this model year hype is a US marketing invention to boost end of year / fall sales. In the spring everyone's sap rises so no need for hype. In UK they change the license plate prefix/suffix in September for the same reason.

Yes, this is something I've noticed with all aspects of Thai retailing - there are no cheap offers on old stock or last years's models.

I remember last year wanting a Blackberry Bold. The new and updated version had come out and I'm thinking that the price of the old ones on the shelves will be reduced to clear, as nobody now wants to buy them. But not so. They stayed at the same price (the new model was more expensive) tell they all got sold and vanished.

Exactly the same thing happens with cameras - I got caught out waiting for prices to drop there.

(So what I do now is to shop around for clearance items on EBay . . . half the price of over here. But this doesn't work with mbikes . . . mad.gif )

R

They're either sold, or still at the dealer that did not sell them. You'll have to look around.
They become this years bikes. doh

How do you tell 2012 vs 2011 besides looking at the manual? Why would anyone knowingly want to buy 2011 model at the same price? That makes no sense.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

How do you tell 2012 vs 2011 besides looking at the manual? Why would anyone knowingly want to buy 2011 model at the same price? That makes no sense.

That was my point. If there is no difference between the model on the showroom floor and the model that gets delivered to the dealership to replace it. When it is purchased it gets registered and becomes 2012 at least for this year.

The only time one would need to be concerned is if the model delivered next IS different in some way.

Example: Unlikely but if a CBR 250 in a Honda showroom was manufactured in November/December 2011 one buys it and it get registered 2012. Dealer orders a new one manufactured in January 2012 but it is identical to the previous one. There is no downside to buying the one in stock in the dealership.

If Honda makes some minor cosmetic changes then yes maybe you could ask for a discount on the "previous" model but they don't necessarily change every year.

Edited by VocalNeal

but in the green book the real year will stand. I bought a new honda click in january/feb 2010, but the model year in the book stands 2009. So there is a different.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post, but actually in Thailand the "model year" is determined by when you registered the bike.

For example, my 2011 model year Kawasaki Versys shows as a 2010 model in the Green Book because I registered it in 2010.

Doesn't bother me but I do know some guys who've delayed making a purchase for the sole reason of having the more recent year appear in the green book...

the only discount ive ever noticed in thailand was 500 thb off if i choose "last years colour"

dont think there is much significant price drops ,im sure dealers dont order many when they

know the "new colour " is about to be launched

but in the green book the real year will stand. I bought a new honda click in january/feb 2010, but the model year in the book stands 2009. So there is a different.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post, but actually in Thailand the "model year" is determined by when you registered the bike.

For example, my 2011 model year Kawasaki Versys shows as a 2010 model in the Green Book because I registered it in 2010.

Doesn't bother me but I do know some guys who've delayed making a purchase for the sole reason of having the more recent year appear in the green book...

i have a ER6N which has abs which came on the 2010 model onwards i think

but the book says its a december 2009 bike if i remember it correctly

so would it have a differnt value if it was bought a week later ? is it now worth less because it was bought at christmas time? :D

I understand what the OP is saying here. For those not familiar with motorbike marketing policy in Thailand, every year the manufacturer makes minor changes, usually cosmetic, and then makes a big hoo-haa about the latest 2012 model.

In answer to his question, I have never seen the previous year's model discounted to clear. Perhaps the dealers know what they can sell. And if they miscalculate, they'll be able to push it round the other dealers who will shift it for them.

For the Kawasaki larger models, there is usually a waiting list any way so the problem never arises.