First Trip To Thailand

marmite

Forget Koh Chang and Samet, if you've only got 3 weeks here then don't waste time on those islands becuase they are a bit rubbish really and the nightlifes pretty non existant.

Get further down South for the quality island experience. 

Pattaya definately worth a visit, just coz its so eye opening really, but if you are short of time, a few days there will do; don't make it your whole holiday coz there's plenty more in Thailand to see.

Phuket and Krabi also well worth a visit.

I agree...koh Chang/ Samet v. quiet and expensive...

If it's rampant sex and fun go to Pattaya..it's actually very friendly relaxing, and vey good value for money.

Samui also has good nightlife and beaches, not a great part of Pattaya's reportoir.

Island hopping...well you have Samui, Koh Pan Gnam and Koh Tao then you've hopped the lot...if you want to seriously hop go to Phuket or (dare I say it?) Koh Chang.

Kanchanaburi (Bridge over the river Kwai) is an interesting inland destination and there are fantastic forests and lekse 100 km North of there. If you want a bit of Thai culture, then Chiang Mai. Don't pre-book anything too much as you'll find it's cheaper when you get here.

Don't pre-book anything  too much as you'll find it's cheaper when you get here.

The OP intends to travel in February. This is high season. Finding a vacancy in a half decent hotel will not be easy during these time.

There is nothing worse than carting your suitcases up and down sois checking out rooms and prices. Very time consuming too.

Perhaps when the OP finalises his intinerary, he could inform this thread so that posters can suggest good hotels within his price range.

Posters can then give their personal knowledge of accommodation prices and the OP can compare them with the pre-booking prices available on the net.

Thank you all so much for all of your input! :D

As of now I am not sure exactly where I will be going as I need to touch base with my buddy first. When I do find out my exact itenary I will post it up to get some hotel suggestions.

All that is certain right now is that I want to definitely hit up Pattaya for at least a few nights for the EXPERIENCE :o before heading to either the Phuket area or the Samui area.

Would like to do both but as i was informed it may present too much travel time to my short 3 and a half weeks. My buddy seems to like the Samui area, he enjoyed his last visit there so thats probably where we'll end up since we also want to hit the full moon party on the 14th. He mentioned Koh Tao as his favorite spot.....lots of nice swedish girls as well as Thais :D

Once I get everything sorted ill be sure to sound you all out once again for more suggestions

CHEERS!

You might not have enough money left for your holiday after you've paid our travel consultancing fees.  I assume we all just PM him our bank details now? :D

Ya I sure owe you guys one now don't I. I'll try and be as stealth as I can with my camera and reward you with some good "beach" shots upon my return

:o

Well.....I just spoke to my buddy and I think we have agreed to check out both the Phuket area as well as the Koh Samui area. Flights are cheap and the distance isnt too far, about an hour or so for most flights so we should be OK. How early does one have to check in for domestic flights like this? Definitely don't want to be spending too much time at the airport!

As I said in my earlier post I arrive a few days ahead of him (Feb2) so I will venture off solo to Pattaya and spend a night there on my own. He'll meet me the next night then we'll fly off to Phuket together (Feb4). B We'll stay in the Phuket area for about 5 nights with maybe a night on phi phi....i believe that they are close??? am i right??? After that off to Samui/Koh Tao/KohPagNgan Feb 9-24. Then back to Bangkok for a day of sites and shopping and fly out on the 27th.

How does that look? Maybe you can recommend some decent hotels for us to look into. One thing my buddy mentioned was trying to find something on Koh phan ngan as close as possible to the full moon party for when we're there....something of short walking distance to the party good for a home base. Any recommendations?

If any of you are going to be in Thailand around this time be sure to let me know. I owe you a few...thats for sure! :D

You might not have enough money left for your holiday after you've paid our travel consultancing fees.  I assume we all just PM him our bank details now? :D

Ya I sure owe you guys one now don't I. I'll try and be as stealth as I can with my camera and reward you with some good "beach" shots upon my return

:o

Well.....I just spoke to my buddy and I think we have agreed to check out both the Phuket area as well as the Koh Samui area. Flights are cheap and the distance isnt too far, about an hour or so for most flights so we should be OK. How early does one have to check in for domestic flights like this? Definitely don't want to be spending too much time at the airport!

As I said in my earlier post I arrive a few days ahead of him (Feb2) so I will venture off solo to Pattaya and spend a night there on my own. He'll meet me the next night then we'll fly off to Phuket together (Feb4). B We'll stay in the Phuket area for about 5 nights with maybe a night on phi phi....i believe that they are close??? am i right??? After that off to Samui/Koh Tao/KohPagNgan Feb 9-24. Then back to Bangkok for a day of sites and shopping and fly out on the 27th.

How does that look? Maybe you can recommend some decent hotels for us to look into. One thing my buddy mentioned was trying to find something on Koh phan ngan as close as possible to the full moon party for when we're there....something of short walking distance to the party good for a home base. Any recommendations?

If any of you are going to be in Thailand around this time be sure to let me know. I owe you a few...thats for sure! :D

Oh ya, i've budgeted around 2200BHT/day for my trip including food and booze. Trying to keep accomodation costs as low as possible. Just want something comfortable and if possible on the beach. My buddy and I will be sharing.

I am travelling to Thailand from Canada for the month of February (2-27).  This will be my first time and I am so looking forward to it!  Luckily I will be meeting up with a buddy of mine who is currently travelling in the Phillipines, he has been to Thai a couple of times before so he should make a good knowledgable travel partner  :o

I am a guy in his late 20's and looking for beaches, partying and women.  In no particular order  :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.......greatly appreciate it!

And if you can find some time to spare, do drop by Hatyai too. Extremely cheap wine, women and song in a very laid back pace. Although predominantly visited by Asians, you will still find enough Farangs.

Guest houses as low as 200 Baht to 5 star hotels at the max price of 1200 Baht. You got see it to believe it.

Would like to do both but as i was informed it may present too much travel time to my short 3 and a half weeks.  My buddy seems to like the Samui area, he enjoyed his last visit there so thats probably where we'll end up since we also want to hit the full moon party on the 14th.  He mentioned Koh Tao as his favorite spot.....lots of nice swedish girls as well as Thais  :o

my recommendation would be to go to samui and the swedish girls. The night life there is probably more suited to someone in their 20's, good music, clubs and bars. Lots of people your age there too so you are guaranteed to have a good time.

Pattaya I have never liked (all readers, i am fully prepared for a thrashing for my comments here). Over rated, average beaches. Nightlife is good if you don't mind handing over cash to pick up a woman, but the thrill of the chase is non existant. The place isn't exactly designed for a young 20 something looking for a beach holiday, unless you like you beaches with to come with a red light district.

I lost my posting so here's a bit of it...

Hotels in Pattaya Flipper Lodge and Flipper house Soi 8 and 7 respectively..

Both have pool on roof and food,air and cable TV cost about 1000 baht p/n there is a web site. THey are in thethick of it and v. near the beach front (not impoetant in Pattaya.

The other poster will get a massive hazing for his comments about Pattaya, it really can be fun and is fantastic value for monet compared to the island resorts. Apart from the girls there is shoppping, food and water sports,and een some islands to see. Lots of other stuff like go-karting, parks, water parks, golf, and cheap motorbike hie - oif you're tired of living.

If you do stay at Flipper lodge, pop into the bar acrossthe road - "Flintstones" and introduce yourself to Ralph the Swiss owner, he will be happy to give you some pointers and Pu will give your shoulders a realy good massage!

In Samui you could try Coral BeachResort - Da Papa's Chaweng. this is in the heart of Chaweng and right on the beach, has good Thai and Italian food, big rooms, biggish pool overlooking beach and friendly staff. Difficult to find web site.Rooms from about 1600 baht.

Ak Bar (has web site)little further up the beach at Chaweng, piffling pool and smaller rooms from 1200 baht. Good lively beachfront bar and great westrn snacks as well as Thai food.

Evergreen Resort is on the beach a little further South of Da Papa's (40metrs) and is a little cheaper (750 to 1000 p/n) they can be found on the net too.

Lamai beach further round the coast is quite lively too and maybe a little cheaper.

there are still places on Samui below 1000 baht but thet are becoming fewer and farther between...especially on the beach.

As far as booking is concerned I would not book a long stay in one hotel in advance in case I didn't like it...there's nothing worse than being stuck in somewheretotallyunsuitable and finding you've paid for a week and can't get your money back.

My birthday is in Feb and I usually drive down to Samui, and have never booked more than two nights in advance, once you have done that you can orientate.

youself maybe hire a liittle Suzuki jeep 800 to 1500 per day or a motorbike 150

to 200 p/d and find somewhere nice and cheap.

You can get some good deals on the net or haggle when you arrive but in high season haggling not very fruitful

Edited by wilko

I am travelling to Thailand from Canada for the month of February (2-27).  This will be my first time and I am so looking forward to it!  Luckily I will be meeting up with a buddy of mine who is currently travelling in the Phillipines, he has been to Thai a couple of times before so he should make a good knowledgable travel partner  :o

I am a guy in his late 20's and looking for beaches, partying and women.  In no particular order  :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.......greatly appreciate it!

And if you can find some time to spare, do drop by Hatyai too. Extremely cheap wine, women and song in a very laid back pace. Although predominantly visited by Asians, you will still find enough Farangs.

Guest houses as low as 200 Baht to 5 star hotels at the max price of 1200 Baht. You got see it to believe it.

It's also an exciting and exhilarating city where dodging bomb blasts can make for an invigorating evening of exercise and the pyrotechnics far surpass the common firework displays of other touristy towns:

Three bomb blasts in Hat Yai in one day

04/03/05  - Three explosions were reported almost simultaneously in Hat Yai district around 8 p.m. on Sunday.

The first explosion took place at the departure hall of Hat Yai airport. It is believed to have caused by a bomb hidden in a passenger’s baggage. Shortly thereafter, another bomb exploded at the Dream World Hotel. The explosive device was attached to a motorbike and detonated by a remote control. The third explosion took place at Carrefour supermarket at the heart of Hat Yai, injuring a number of people.

It's also an exciting and exhilarating city where dodging bomb blasts can make for an invigorating evening of exercise and the pyrotechnics far surpass the common firework displays of other touristy towns:

Better stay away from New York too. Planes fly into buildings all the time there. Also steer clear of London where the buses and subways blow up almost daily. While you're at it, stay away from Los Angeles as the drive by shootings are taking place around the clock.

Good advice for the the traveler whose insurance doesn't cover death or injury caused by overhyped stereotypes. :o

cv

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I'll have a pop at this, though it might not be the best route:

Fly into Bangkok stay Feb. 2-4

Bus to Pattaya from Esatern Bus Terminal takes about 2-3 hrs.

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Fly to Phuket from Pattaya.

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Fly to Samui from Phuket.

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Full Moon Party on the 14th

Island hop 15th-25th

Boats of course needed here. If you end up on Koh Tao, take a boat onto Chumpon and take another flight to BKK.  If you end up in Koh Phangan take a boat to Surat Thani or Samui and fly back from there.

Back to Bangkok 25th for a bit more shopping

Fly out of Bangkok on 27th

Ok, adds a bit of money to your trip but it does save you a lot of time.  If you want to make it a bit cheaper then take the bus across from Phuket to Surat Thani and take the boat to Samui. 

I'd be inclined to recommend that anyway, the scenerys beautiful down there and sometimes travelling though Thailand is just as nice as arriving somewhere. 

Good luck, sounds like a top trip. :o

Not a completed site yet but this Thailand Travel site might help you with some travel tips on getting around and on destinations.

Gotta plug it somehow! :D

I get into BK at 8pm. I'm thinking about possibly headin straight to Pattaya from the airport and skipping out on my first few days in Bangkok. Would this be advisable after such a long flight haha?? That way I could leave Bangkok until the end of my trip and gain a few more days at a location of my choice. All i really wanted to do in Bangkok was visit the temple as well as do a bit of shopping and get a couple suits made up. Is the shopping as good in my other destinations?

Also....whats a rough estimate of what I'll be spending on flights with this travel plan. Thanks everyone you have been a great help!

I would recommend only one night in a nice hotel in Bangkok to clear the head after the long flight. Get up early and take the bus to Pattaya. Change your return itinerary to give yourself minimum 3 days in BKK before your return flight. That will give you plenty of time for shopping so you don't have to carry tons of stuff as you travel. Do all of your shopping before you leave BKK.

Gary