Davos: Red Carpet For The Thai Delegation

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Davos: Climbing a mountain

Pana Janviroj

The Nation

DAVOS: The World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, rolled out the red carpet for the Thai delegation led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Yingluck was the second Thai prime minister to go to Davos, following in the footsteps of her predecessor Abhisit Vejjajiva. And this year, the WEF is coming to Thailand for the first time. Bangkok is playing host to the economic meeting on May 31 and June 1.

It must be said that WEF went out of its way to put Thailand in the spotlight. Also participating in the East Asia session was Pailin Chuchottaworn, chief executive officer of PTT, who will co-chair WEF Bangkok. The moderator asked several questions and gave him plenty of time to speak.

Thailand's first female prime minister was among the stars of her session. Members of her panel included the illustrious South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the vibrant Sheryl Sandberg, CEO of Facebook, the head of the United Nations' women's agency, and a CEO from Bahrain who invests in women's projects.

The WEF may have been striving to show that it cares about women. However, the public session attracted a good turnout, with the audience coming to hear what the stars - Sandberg, who was about to take Facebook to a US$10-billion (Bt310-billion) initial public offering, and Yingluck, the young PM of Thailand - had to say. The entire session was shown on the WEF's video service and highlighted on the front page of its website.

"I like her and what she said about women," said one member of the audience afterwards, though another didn't think much of the substance. There were obviously mixed reactions to her performance.

Yingluck also participated in the Informal Gathering of World Economic Leaders (IGWEL), which only prime ministers/presidents and global CEOs attended. She took the opportunity to restore confidence in Thailand after the flood. She also held bilateral meetings with Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York, the president of Switzerland, the prime minister of Pakistan, the president of Tanzania, the chairman of Sumitomo Chemical, who is also chairman of Keirenden Japan, and several CEOs.

Like Abhisit, Yingluck found it difficult to organise bilateral meetings with key world leaders at Davos. This has nothing to do with personality but the status of Thailand as a nation. Abhisit wanted legitimacy as his government was branded as military-backed even though the Parliament voted him in. Yingluck wanted assertion on the global platform. But Thailand's decline in the international arena has continued, the result of earlier political crises and last year's floods.

Diplomatically, WEF Davos was a hard climb for both Thai leaders. But the global appearance was worth the exposure.

And Thailand was given the red-carpet treatment. Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong had successful sessions with other Asean economic ministers on Asean connectivity and on crisis management, during which the Japanese prime minister spoke via satellite. He also watched with anxiety Yingluck's performance on the WEF stage and appeared relieved when some members of the audience flocked to talk to her after the session.

More foreigners seem to like taking photos with the prime minister than with any other Thai leaders in memory. Women's power is definitely in.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-02

They like taking pictures with her because she looks great and Davos is largely a collection of wealthy, fat cat, dirty old men. Many of them were probably hitting on her.The newspaper "sensationalizes" this idea of "red carpet." What was the big deal that Thailand got? The article seemed to "downgrade" everyone's impression of Thailand due to events over the last several years as they should. Thailand has been an international disgrace. The article stated that Yingluck's sessions were poorly attended because of this and not because of her personality. Is this the "red carpet?"

The article further stated that Kittirat "watched with anxiety" while Yingluck was presenting. Why was he anxious? How did the reporter know this? What did Kittirat say about this? If he was uncertain about her performance, you can bet that his attitude was projected to everyone who met him. When one's leaders don't back her fully and express concerns of any kind, it subverts their ability to convey a leadership persona with the outside world. Kittirat and the reporter should know better. But how in the world can the newspaper use the expression that the "red carpet" was rolled out for Thailand what with the negative statements made in the article?

Of course they love her, Thaksin has always been the choice of globalists and international capitalists and she is just his stand in. This administration has ALREADY lowered corporate income tax from 30% to 23% and are lowering it further next year, and have reneged, changed, or delayed all their other election promises. They are slashing taxes for the rich (when they even bother to collect them in the first place), keeping wages low, and pushing free trade agreements, all while hiding their exploitative capitalist policies behind a false banner of populism.

Edited by DP25
  • Like 1

Ahh yes, the nadirs of nasty negativity have headed for this thread. It must be quite distressing for some TVFers when they read a positive report of Thailand's reception at the Davos event. Quick to pile on the abusive statements and to dismiss the effort by the Thai government, what can they say now that the Thai participation is lauded? More abuse and more dismissal? I suppose one should put it in perspective as the nastiest comments are most likely to be made by people that are just not in the same area code of success as the participants.

I for one congratulate the Thai government's effort as it was a much needed opportunity to present Thailand in a positive light and I am pleased to see that the Thai companies that drive Thailand's important profit making sectors worked together and with the government for the common good. A well deserved congratulation is due to all of the members of the Thai delegation for their hard work. clap2.gifclap2.gif Together, they will help Thailand recover from the floods and together they will create the jobs and support the industries that keep the nation strong.

• Like 1

Of course they love her, Thaksin has always been the choice of globalists and international capitalists and she is just his stand in.

At last the commies show their true colors 1zgarz5.gif

and pushing free trade agreements, ...

Which means one day we may have long term visas and the right to own our properties and businesses clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

_

Edited by JurgenG

Which means one day we may have long term visas and the right to own our properties and businesses clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Australia has an FTA with Thailand. It makes no difference to visas, properties or businesses.

Ahh yes, the nadirs of nasty negativity have headed for this thread. It must be quite distressing for some TVFers when they read a positive report of Thailand's reception at the Davos event. Quick to pile on the abusive statements and to dismiss the effort by the Thai government, what can they say now that the Thai participation is lauded? More abuse and more dismissal? I suppose one should put it in perspective as the nastiest comments are most likely to be made by people that are just not in the same area code of success as the participants.

I for one congratulate the Thai government's effort as it was a much needed opportunity to present Thailand in a positive light and I am pleased to see that the Thai companies that drive Thailand's important profit making sectors worked together and with the government for the common good. A well deserved congratulation is due to all of the members of the Thai delegation for their hard work. clap2.gifclap2.gif Together, they will help Thailand recover from the floods and together they will create the jobs and support the industries that keep the nation strong.

This is a surprisingly naive and patronizing response.

Australia has an FTA with Thailand. It makes no difference to visas, properties or businesses.

One of the worst crime Thaksin was accused of was to sell his company to Singapore , to foreigners ! bah.gif

Thaksin is a "globalist", whatever the term means, and so are his biggest supporters, the top global companies of Thailand. They know if they want to be global players, and they have the means to be among the top ones in some fields, they need to open the country. IMO it's what scared the hell of the "old" elite and what pushed them to support "mad man" Sondhi.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

It's not that difficult to gain favor in the international community, all you have to do is be the YES man. Money can buy almost anything and it's not a big of a feat if you're using someone else's money (Tax payer's) to pave way towards your goals. I'm sure you've noticed the ludicrous amount of spending and the lack of information in regards to those spending, right? Spend, spend, spend! They're just kissing up to Thailand right now because they see it as an opportunity to take a piece of the cake. In otherwords, Thailand (particularly this government) is in no position to say NO to anyone.

Not you, (or the rest of us) ASEAN country citizens only, if at all. In 30 years you will still be doing your visa run. But you may dream of it.

Never did any visa run, always had proper visa for what I was doing.

But still dreaming of owning my house and have a permanent visa if I decide one day to retire in Thailand.

Patronizing? I am expressing gratitude and appreciation of the Thais that worked hard to pull this off. One mistake and the nasty farangs would be pointing and squawking about This incompetence. If giving credit where credit is due is considered naive and patronizing, what would you call the derisive remarks about the PM based upon her looks?

• Like 2

Not you, (or the rest of us) ASEAN country citizens only, if at all. In 30 years you will still be doing your visa run. But you may dream of it.

Get the appropriate visa and you won't have those worries.

One of the worst crime Thaksin was accused of was to sell his company to Singapore , to foreigners ! bah.gif

Thaksin is a "globalist", whatever the term means, and so are his biggest supporters, the top global companies of Thailand. They know if they want to be global players, and they have the means to be among the top ones in some fields, they need to open the country. IMO it's what scared the hell of the "old" elite and what pushed them to support "mad man" Sondhi.

<deleted> has that got to do with anything?

Never did any visa run, always had proper visa for what I was doing.

But still dreaming of owning my house and have a permanent visa if I decide one day to retire in Thailand.

A business case for renting instead of buying is very strong. If you cost it out thoroughly and objectively and consider the risk in Thailand, you are far better off renting with good access to BTS and/or buses provided it meets your life style and family needs. Thailand currently has no real estate tax to speak of so that adds to the lure of buying. That situation will change and Thailand will have to implement a tax scheme of some sort. A lot of people are predisposed to buying as a "dream" my wife included. Every time I think I've proved my point over the years she raises it up again. So far we still rent, no car, and limited risk.

The money I've kept and invested that would have purchased a house or condo to replicate our situation has earned a nice investment return covering our rent and basic utilities, so this ends up on the side of the ledger favoring renting. Plus my capital is still liquid and not tied up in a property. There is a limited secondary market in Thailand so don't overestimate your value of the house in a resale and then where would you live anyway? Most people incorrectly over value the house in the cost justification for renting - It has some value, but don't overestimate it. Repairs and upkeep are a real concern and risk as well, eg, the floods..etc.

Like you, I've never done a visa run. We are married and I've done my own marriage visa for years, no legal fees. This is a non-immigrant O, so you can get a work visa anytime you need one. No need for visa runs with this and you can report your quarterly update on-line or someone can go for you.

Without PAYING TAXES. And yes in that particular industry foriegners had restrictions on what could be owned, until just before he sold it when he changed the regulations to benefit himself. The state grants concessions to telecom firms so they have the right to regulate them. The regulations exist to benefit the country as a whole and not individuals, Thaksin is accused of getting rid of them because they impeded his ability to profit. Changing policy based on what is most profitable for the prime minister is not a good way to govern.

• Like 1

Patronizing? I am expressing gratitude and appreciation of the Thais that worked hard to pull this off. One mistake and the nasty farangs would be pointing and squawking about This incompetence. If giving credit where credit is due is considered naive and patronizing, what would you call the derisive remarks about the PM based upon her looks?

I would call the remarks about the PM's appearance complimentary just like saying Abhisit looks great as well, certainly better than most Thai politicians, in his case. Maybe "expressing gratitude and appreciation" is called for, but the article raised up contradictory points and questions apart from their stellar feat to "pull off the event" , whatever that means. Any mistakes made or slip ups, like unattended sessions due to lack of publicizing, would be hard to understand in the Thai press because they are not thorough and analytical. So the point is, that if you take the press "on their word," you would never be sure if they actually pulled it off or not or did a good job since the Thai press never speaks to anyone else nor reports objectively. Just look at the headline "Rolls Out the Red Carpet" and my initial response inquiring as to what this actually means?

Like Abhisit, Yingluck found it difficult to organise bilateral meetings with key world leaders at Davos. This has nothing to do with personality but the status of Thailand as a nation.

Just shows that it doesnt matter who's at the top until LOS sheds its tinpot backwater image. rolleyes.gif

I would call the remarks about the PM's appearance complimentary just like saying Abhisit looks great as well, certainly better than most Thai politicians, in his case. Maybe "expressing gratitude and appreciation" is called for, but the article raised up contradictory points and questions apart from their stellar feat to "pull off the event" , whatever that means. Any mistakes made or slip ups, like unattended sessions due to lack of publicizing, would be hard to understand in the Thai press because they are not thorough and analytical. So the point is, that if you take the press "on their word," you would never be sure if they actually pulled it off or not or did a good job since the Thai press never speaks to anyone else nor reports objectively. Just look at the headline "Rolls Out the Red Carpet" and my initial response inquiring as to what this actually means?

I watched the PM's speech and I read the foreign press reports as well as watched some of the interviews on the international newsfeeds. I was actually taken aback by the Nation's praise. The cynic in me says that it is an indirect show of deference to the Thai business groups that invested their time and effort to make this work. As well, it might be an indirect way of say, hey PM , see we told you that if you worked with the boys, things would work out.

How about this; You and the others can still keep your personal animosity for the PM, but at least give recognition to the dozens of Thais from the corporate sector and the ranks of the civil service that were able to work together and pull this off.

She doesn't have to utter a word in English.

She can speak Thai and use a translater.

This is no disgrace, as many top world leaders does that.

Why doesn't she do that?

The PM gave her keynote address in her native language.

No, she didn't.

She gave brief opening remarks in Thai.

The longer section of panel discussion and Q & A was given in incoherent, disjointed English.

Edited by Buchholz

Of course they love her, Thaksin has always been the choice of globalists and international capitalists and she is just his stand in. This administration has ALREADY lowered corporate income tax from 30% to 23% and are lowering it further next year, and have reneged, changed, or delayed all their other election promises. They are slashing taxes for the rich (when they even bother to collect them in the first place), keeping wages low, and pushing free trade agreements, all while hiding their exploitative capitalist policies behind a false banner of populism.

At last! Here is someone on TV who understands the Globalist connections with the Thaksin ambition and his current regime. I am convinced that Thaksin is simply a pawn in the globalist game and that he is not as smart as he likes to think he is. His speeches often express the most absurd naiviety - he is man of luck rather than of substance and I think that carries over to his sister. I have noted a number of occasions where she has been regarded by her intellectual betters as someone who carries little substance. Just a thought, but an interesting one with which to continue this debate. I also note that Thaksin's business deals have not been marked by their success which to me indicates that luck rather than a rich business acumen was on his side with the successful telecoms business. His period 'in charge' of Manchester City was also noted for the low esteem in which he was held by his business managers - and like most people they only fawned to him because of his wealth and not for any other reason.

Edited by ianf

Of course they love her, Thaksin has always been the choice of globalists and international capitalists and she is just his stand in.

At last the commies show their true colors 1zgarz5.gif

_

Jurgen: I think the hope for enhanced conditions for resident 'farangs' is a pipe dream. There are areas that we cannot explore on TV but there are certain powerful individuals, or individuals that may have a lot more power in the future, who really do not like 'foreigners' and in fact would go the opposite way. But I hope you are correct.

As for referring to posters who point out the threat of globalism as 'communists' - well this takes us back to McCarthy thinking which was basically "if you are not with us, then you are a commie".

Global capitalism is a serious threat to the environment and world populations. It flies in the face of a self-sufficient and sustainable economy which His Majesty the King of Thailand has promoted for so many years - and, in the case of the northern Thai tribes, with remarkable success.

Globalism is a real threat to our very survival as a species because it concentrates wealth and power into the hands of a few. And as we have seen repeated so many times in history that all-consuming power is a dangerous disease. Hitler, the Marcos, Mugabe, Bush (!), Amin, Mao and in Burma, North Korea and so on are recent examples to show just how dangerous concentrated power is. My fear about Thaksin is that he has the potential to go in that direction. Indeed the mass psychology of fascism (and I don't care whether that is left or right wing) needs leaders who are worshipped by the masses in order to be successful. Mussolini's initial success came from the fact that 700,000 hoodwinked folks joined his movement. They didn't join through an intellectual choice but rather through what Hitler suggested in Mein Kampf was emotional manipulation rather than 'argumentation'. The parallel between these historical events and the red movement is quite frankly very frightening indeed. So it would be wise to try and understand the motivation behind these kinds of movement and the way they hijack concepts in order to build their success.

Hitler focussed on the jews; Mao on landlords and the Reds on the 'elites' - disguised as the need for 'democracy'.

I have noted your adulation for Thaksin and his cronies in the past. You are, of course, quite entitled to your views but quite often they are expressed without, in my humble opinion, a real understanding of the body politic.

I would imagine there would be a lot of the world's economic eyes on Thailand at the moment so it make sense for the WEF to come next year.

How did they manage to take such a huge chunk of National debt and pass it on to the national bank?

What happens to an economy in the middle of a huge global recession when wages are hiked up, national borrowing is doubled, corporation tax is slashed, popular fuels are heavily subsidised, and the main staple and export commodity is hiked to an unnatural price.

What shape will the remaining automobile and electronics industries be in following another rainy season when nothing has been done to prevent or mitigate flooding to industrial estates built on a flood plain?

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

Like you, I've never done a visa run. We are married and I've done my own marriage visa for years, no legal fees. This is a non-immigrant O, so you can get a work visa anytime you need one. No need for visa runs with this and you can report your quarterly update on-line or someone can go for you.

"you can report your quarterly update on-line"

Do you have a source for that, I've always understood that 90-day reporting (where necessary) can be done in person or by post, but not online, which seems to many expats the simplest way to do it ? jap.gif

"you can report your quarterly update on-line"

Do you have a source for that, I've always understood that 90-day reporting (where necessary) can be done in person or by post, but not online, which seems to many expats the simplest way to do it ? jap.gif

They were supposed to make online reporting available about this time last year. I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened yet.