Thai Girls 'Forced Into Sex Slavery' In Australia

webfact

Thai girls 'forced into sex slavery' in Australia

SYDNEY, February 2, 2012 (AFP) - A man accused of luring three Thai girls to Australia on student visas and then forcing them to work at his Sydney brothel was charged with trafficking and sex slavery offences on Thursday.

The 42-year-old, reported to be a Chinese-Cambodian, was arrested in Sydney overnight following a tip-off from a welfare agency working with the alleged victims, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said.

"The AFP will allege the women were told they were travelling to Australia on student visas, but upon arrival had their passports confiscated and were taken to the brothel, where they were held against their will," police said.

The man was charged with eight offences related to human trafficking and sex slavery, the most serious carrying a maximum 20-year jail term.

Trafficking of girls from Asia, particularly Thailand, is a problem in Australia and police said it was "abhorrent" for the victims.

"Human trafficking in all its forms is a heinous crime that impacts not only the victims, but their families and communities," said Glyn Lewis, head of Australia's trafficking squad.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-02-02

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alternatively, Chinese-Cambodian arrested in Australia for forcing Thai girls into sex slavery

That was stated in the original story was there another story or link I missed

Exactly. For some, the headline is often ALL the story, and creates a lasting erroneous impression. It depends hugely on how it is written. "Thai girls 'forced into sex slavery' in Australia" reads like a blanket condemnation of Australian Society, rather than a report of a specific case in which the Australian authorities acted correctly againt some sleazebag. As is often the case with newspapers, the headline is attention-grabbing, but does not reflect the content of the following story. I am delighted the Australians arrested this dog.

I hope they arrested those perverted Aussies who were the customers as well.

• Like 1

I agree Reasonableman and I would expect if Canada, UK, Germany or the USA were within the same distance as AUS is from Thailand the headlines would scroll all these countries names. Bravo to AUS for catching this guy and prosecute hopefully to the fullest extent.

It is also a result of supply and demand, and for that, we are to blame. My feeling is that if you want to bump bones with a Thai get your ass to Thailand

I wonder if the Chinese-Cambodian man was acting on his own or if he was part of one of the Asian crime gangs that operate in Australia that lure women from all over Asia to Australia, I saw a documentary a few years ago about the Triads forcing young Asian women into sex slavery in Australia.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Alternatively, Chinese-Cambodian arrested in Australia for forcing Thai girls into sex slavery

The original Australian Federal Police news article is here: http://www.afp.gov.a...rafficking.aspx

Yes, the current headline is misleading and probably caters to the rabid xenophobes and/or those who are attracted like bulls to red (to disagree).

My perspective is that it is lazy reporting that could have been much better:

1. The AFP report states the considerable amount of support the Salvation Army in Australia did to free the girls and then what is being done to help them.

2. As this report claims they are Thai, my question is <deleted> is the Thai embassy doing in Australia to help the Thai girls - looks like everything that is FARANG is doing more than the xenophobes.

3. The list of charges against this person are indeed serious and have very heavy penalties. The police operation is also very professional. There was a news article about some Thai people MURDERING an Australian some time back (who are now in Thailand) and it looks like they are having a better time than this person arrested in Australia for a lesser crime. http://www.thaivisa....ial-for-murder/

Edited by AngryParent
  • Like 1

Of all the years I have heard these cases of "Forced Slavery" yes their passports are taken off them when they arrive into Australia but they go to Australia being promised big bucks for sex working and hopes that a farang will pay off their debts and live the rest of their life in bliss in the Land of Oz.

I'm sorry they knew what was possibly going to happen.

Lots of Australian girls go to Japan and get the same problems. Lets just hope the Thai, Cambodian, Laos girls get home safely and don't get into another cycle.

Just put it into the too hard basket.

Of all the years I have heard these cases of "Forced Slavery" yes their passports are taken off them when they arrive into Australia but they go to Australia being promised big bucks for sex working and hopes that a farang will pay off their debts and live the rest of their life in bliss in the Land of Oz.

I'm sorry they knew what was possibly going to happen.

Lots of Australian girls go to Japan and get the same problems. Lets just hope the Thai, Cambodian, Laos girls get home safely and don't get into another cycle.

Just put it into the too hard basket.

So you have evidence that these young women knew that they were bound for a life of prostitution? Interesting that you presumably have sources to give you these facts

• Like 2

It depends entirely on circumstances that are not written here...I did not read the articles direct...if it is true trafficking and the girls did not know, were told of education and mainstream jobs...then this happens, well and good, job done good and the guy should be locked up for a long time.

However, many girls go there knowing what they will be doing, they go there willingly and the student visa is a legal way in, they can go to school and work part time in the job of choice for a certain allowed number of hours per week...if this is the case and then as has happened before the girls decide they want to stay and work, but not go to school...just make piles of cash all day long, they then come up with a 'trafficking' claim and that bad things have been done and they knew nothing of it.

It does and has happened. Knowing which side this story is from needs more information obviously.

There has to be a Thai end point to any human trafficking case, especially for prostitution. The newspaper should investigate the corruption, graft and compromise of the police, private citizens, and the army to smoke out the individuals who run these networks and campaign until they get shut down. As long as their is a corrupted network and motive for financial gain, this will continue. Sensational headlines by the press, serve no purpose and are a good example of disgraceful journalism.

• Like 1

Prostitution = Having sex for financial game

I can introduce you to many Australian men, and I guess other nationalities as well who have fallen for this

They find a Thai girl, thinks that even she half his age she really loves him, brings her back to his home land, once she has permanant residence, pics a fight with her husband.

Complaines to the law and gets her financial gain

When my Thai wife first came to Australia, she was told the ways to get rich quick by many Thai ladies she met in her day to day life, so this is an excepted practice by Thai's

Conclusion

Having sex for financial game = Prostitution

Until we know the full facts, please do not throw stones

I hope they arrested those perverted Aussies who were the customers as well.

On what charges?

Rape?

Wonder how many girls at nana, cowboy. are there out of duty or through cohercion to pay off family debts etc as opposed to being willing participants??

I too don't accept this story at face value.

Genuine students don't end up doing anything other than bending over books for long hours.

It makes a good story. Why let the truth get in the way of some titilation?

Good thoughts but very very naieve - no one wants a life of slavery but you only have to look at the Uni students here in Thailand that are "sponsored" through their Uni years by an older Thai & Farang gentleman - please take off the rose coloured glasses when reading such articles .

There is always a means to an end.

I'm sorry but I have never been in a situation like this so I will have to surmise.. A man goes to a brothel, pays his money and enters a locked room. In the room he finds a girl who is either distressed or drugged, either way I'm sure she would not be willing, but as he has paid his money he goes ahead anyway. During his moments of lust and hers of loathing would the little word of 'no' ever be heard?

Rape.

Soi Cowboy and the like are very different.

Are we to believe that every Thai girl has the potential to be a whore and that these girls in question knew what they were going to Oz for?

Some of the guys on here have spent too long in red-light districts and go-go bars. They need to get back some of the decency needed to live in the real world.

"so I will have to surmise."

Enough said. Not really enough for rape charges.

Some of the comments on this thread show a rather unpleasant mindset of the individual poster...

For what it's worth...

The girls are reported to be likely under 18 years of age. A fact mentioned in Australian newspaper reports.

The girls might have been promised work in Australia (on a student visa). Work they thought was legitimate. We don't know. This is very common for people to get student visas in OZ and work for cash.

The girls, if they were going to do sex work- even if they knew, legal in Australia through legal brothels, still have a right NOT to be detained against their will.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/tipoff-leads-to-trio-of-young-thai-women-who-were-held-as-sex-slaves-20120202-1qvnu.html