Swimming The River In Jomtien

rmicheald

Once again, Thailand's 4th world infrastructure was at work with the heavy rain. The usual river on the new second road by the immigration soi was in full flood. Maybe if they made the mayor swim it, he would make the contractors, who did such an exemplary job making the road, fix it...

Rant Over

Edited by Tywais
Title and OP edited to remove profanity

The point is....Pattaya City rakes in huge amounts of tax revenue off from the tourist who come here and businesses. The city has NO excuse to have construction done incorrectly and not up to be up to "developed world" standards. Even cities with a low tax collection base (compared to Pattaya) such as Sriracha or even Roi-et in Isaan maintains its streets better than Pattaya that has the big BAHTS.

The point is....Pattaya City rakes in huge amounts of tax revenue off from the tourist who come here and businesses. The city has NO excuse to have construction done incorrectly and not up to be up to "developed world" standards. Even cities with a low tax collection base (compared to Pattaya) such as Sriracha or even Roi-et in Isaan maintains its streets better than Pattaya that has the big BAHTS.

I don't think most of the rest of Thailand did much better than Pattaya during last year's indundation. The fact is, when it rains that heavy in a short period of time, just about anyplace in the world will flood. (I seem to remember floods in much of Europe and the UK when they get sudden flash rainstorms.)

I don't think most of the rest of Thailand did much better than Pattaya during last year's indundation. The fact is, when it rains that heavy in a short period of time, just about anyplace in the world will flood. (I seem to remember floods in much of Europe and the UK when they get sudden flash rainstorms.)

I agree and it was raining VERY heavy yesterday. Unless you tear the whole city down and redesign everything it will be hard to achieve a flood proff place.

Thailands actual status is: "Developing Country" not 4th or 3rd world.

Maybe try Cambodia where there is NO drainage systems beyond PP.

Thailand is a developing country........Third World status, but given the infrastructure problem, the OP is correct to use sarcasm to emphasize a point. By the way, I was in PP last week and the infrastructure is actually better than in Pattaya-Jomtien (amazing Thailand or is it miracle Thailand). After the rain soi 5 in Jomtien totally flooded with black, filthy, fetid water. I would like to see the mayor drink it :) and take a bath it in :) and swim in it :)

Yesterdays rain was a little hard but not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I think just because we haven't had rain here for so long you are all forgetting what a hard rain is really like.

I'm not saying it wasn't hard because it was but compared to some "rainy season" down pours it was just average. Just a minor beer storm.

WOW !!! some people seem to forget this is a tropical country and heavy down pours are the normal not the exception ....I would challenge any country in the world both developed and developing to cope with sudden large deluges without some kind of localised flooding

Is it that some people just like to complain for complaining s sake....I reckon the same people would complain that the Sahara Desert is too dry and why isn't the local mayor doing his "cloud dance" to summon the rains Gods.

• Like 1

WOW !!! some people seem to forget this is a tropical country and heavy down pours are the normal not the exception ....I would challenge any country in the world both developed and developing to cope with sudden large deluges without some kind of localised flooding

Is it that some people just like to complain for complaining s sake....I reckon the same people would complain that the Sahara Desert is too dry and why isn't the local mayor doing his "cloud dance" to summon the rains Gods.

The discussion here is about a brand new highway that is uphill from the ocean.

A small rain now turns the place into a lake with a river of water flooding the business on Soi 5 & 4.

A mess.

Certainly the City did not sign off or make the final payment to the contractor?

A small rain now turns the place into a lake with a river of water flooding the business on Soi 5 & 4.

A mess.

Certainly the City did not sign off or make the final payment to the contractor?

Maybe, but we've been left with a free ride on a roller coaster of a dual carriageway on the south side of the "lake"! Great fun, it isn't!

A mess.

Right......and next door on soi 7 there was no problem because they did something to fix it. PattayaParent made a good point about rubbish and stuff choking the drainage pipes. I wonder if Thais will ever understand the relationship between throwing plastic and other stuff on the roads and flooding......probably not, but it is one thing the govt. could do to improve the flooding problem. I do not think this problem is simply "natural" in the developed world and/or tropics. I think some countries are doing a much better job educating people about what to do with rubbish. I think they are also doing a better job in terms of road engineering.