Looking For Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)

yougivemebaby

Wow!! Just what do you want to do with them?I have some seeds and some dried.The hottest pepper around.The wife will not use it and me I do not like it because it is just to HOT to eat.I use it as a "you want to try some HOT chile pepper"?When you see the look on some peoples face .....I get such a laugh. Not in country so can not help you.If I hear I will post.

Please PM me as well if anyone has any has any spare seeds or knows where to buy them in Thailand. I'm dying to make a plate of Laarb with them.

Wow!! Just what do you want to do with them?I have some seeds and some dried.The hottest pepper around.The wife will not use it and me I do not like it because it is just to HOT to eat.I use it as a "you want to try some HOT chile pepper"?When you see the look on some peoples face .....I get such a laugh. Not in country so can not help you.If I hear I will post.

I just ordered a pound of the dried ones from the states.. I might surprise the family when making som tom .. lol If you want some of the seeds send me your address.. I can drop some in the mail. However, I did a little research on growing them in thailand. They need to be at least a half mile away from other chili plants. Good luck with that. Also I think they prefer cooler climates. Seeing where the plants were grown in India. It looked like they were grown in mountain areas. They could not handle the heat of Thailand! Lil ironic don't cha think?

Hello yougivemebaby, they grew good here in Korat. My seed was from

U of NM.

The 1/2-mile is with ALL OP chilies, it's 5 miles or more for OP corn.

rice555

Thanks for sharing that! I'll be getting my chilies in a couple of weeks... I'm right near si rattana so we're basically right on the same parallel.. hehe Any suggestions as to start my plants to avoid cross pollination? I could bring a planter to the farm as there is only rice there. How long would I need to grow it before I can bring it in the house or around the house.. ? Maybe it'd be fun to cross pollinate them.. If they looked like Thai chilies but were nearly as hot as the ghost peppers..

U of NM.

rice555

Thanks for sharing that! I'll be getting my chilies in a couple of weeks... I'm right near si rattana so we're basically right on the same parallel.. hehe Any suggestions as to start my plants to avoid cross pollination? I could bring a planter to the farm as there is only rice there. How long would I need to grow it before I can bring it in the house or around the house.. ? Maybe it'd be fun to cross pollinate them.. If they looked like Thai chilies but were nearly as hot as the ghost peppers..

How many are you planning to grow? If you are just taling personal consumption you can hand pollinate to avoid hybridization.

U of NM.

rice555

How many are you planning to grow? If you are just taling personal consumption you can hand pollinate to avoid hybridization.

Yes just a few plants for personal consumption. I will look into hand pollination online as it will be something new to me. I've seen it on some science channel I'm sure.

U of NM.

rice555

okay.. I just saw that peppers are self pollinators ? Is that like asexual reproduction? How do they get variable dna if the can self replicate so easily. Should I cover the flowers in a bag or something to avoid bees from pollinating? How long after they self pollinate does it lock out other pollen? Thanks!

U of NM.

rice555

Yes just a few plants for personal consumption. I will look into hand pollination online as it will be something new to me. I've seen it on some science channel I'm sure.

Just to be clear, if all you are doing is growing from known seedstock and harvesting the fruit of those trees then cross pollinization is not an issue. The fruit will be the same regardless of what pollinates the tree.

What will change will be the plants grown from the seeds of a cross pollinated plant. So unless you want to propigate more plants from your grown chillis then you don't have to worry about it.

If you do want to propigate then yes, you can hand pollinate from known plants. Damp fine paintbrush, collect pollen from one plant, deposit into the opened flowers of another. timing of when this is done is important as you want to be first in.

A way to avoid cross polination is to grow your plants in an insect free environment, in which case you must hand pollinate else you will have no fruit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...