Extendable Tourist Visas For Thailand

I am intending to travel over the next 12 months to adjoining countries such as Vietnam and Cambodia and Malaysia

and then return to Thailand sometimes for three months at a time on a three-month tourist Visa?

So I'm hoping I would be able to get 2 to 3 tourist Visas during the year and then spend the rest of the time

in other countries? Would this be achievable?

Also I have been told that some consulates and embassies in this region are less friendly than others

so could I ask if anyone has any experience of dealing with the most friendly consular or embassy

as far as applying for tourist visas is concerned?

Thanks very much

Edited by Asiantravel

A tourist visa gives 60 days, but can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

2 tourist visas would be possible, 3 is a bit less sure, but any entry by air might give you 30 days. It depend on your nationality.

You don't state your nationality, that makes it harder t answer your questions.

A lot can change in the course of months, so what is good now might not be in 6 months time.

A tourist visa gives 60 days, but can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

2 tourist visas would be possible, 3 is a bit less sure, but any entry by air might give you 30 days. It depend on your nationality.

You don't state your nationality, that makes it harder t answer your questions.

A lot can change in the course of months, so what is good now might not be in 6 months time.

Sorry I forgot to give my nationality details.

Actually I have two passports because I have dual nationality. Australian and British.

I don't intend to do what people are referring on here as back-to-back. I am intending to leave

at least one or two months between each application. Will that make it easier for me?

" but any entry by air might give you 30 days " - is there a limitation on the amount

of these stamps that you can get?

Edited by Asiantravel

That might be easier, especially f you cna show a ticket back home.. You could apply for a double entry tourist visa to start with from UK or Oz, meaning you would need to enter Thailand 2 times within 6 month of date of issue. Than only anoter single torist visa should not be a problem.

Just flying into Thailand would give you 30 days on arrival anyway, 15 days if you travel by land.

But a lot of changes going on, adn always difficult to predict the future.

That might be easier, especially f you cna show a ticket back home.. You could apply for a double entry tourist visa to start with from UK or Oz, meaning you would need to enter Thailand 2 times within 6 month of date of issue. Than only anoter single torist visa should not be a problem.

Just flying into Thailand would give you 30 days on arrival anyway, 15 days if you travel by land.

But a lot of changes going on, adn always difficult to predict the future.

thanks for your comments Mario.

I don't want to return to Australia just to get a Visa if I can avoid it. Would it not be possible for me

to achieve the same result by visiting an embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country?

And when you say there are lots of changes going on what has prompted these?

Edited by Asiantravel

if you have 2 passports maybe you can do something clever and use both on your trip somehow ?

especially if they put a red too many thai visa warning stamps in one of them.

are you flying in from australia or uk ? and bkk first destination ?

maybe an idea to apply for your first visa from your home country especially if it's valid for 6 months rom issue instead of the 3 month ones you will get around here.

laos has been a very popular place to tour through and get a thai visa at the end of your trip at vientiane.

have you been to thailand before ?

From this post of yours I gather that you are currently in Thailand. The best bet for a double-entry tourist at the moment is Suvannakhet. If you haven't got too many Thai visas in your passport already, Vientiane is also a possibility. When you have used up these two entries, with sojourns in other countries in the region in between, Suvannakhet, Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur should be good for the single-entry tourist visa you still need to complete your year in Southeast Asia.

if you have 2 passports maybe you can do something clever and use both on your trip somehow ?

especially if they put a red too many thai visa warning stamps in one of them.

are you flying in from australia or uk ? and bkk first destination ?

maybe an idea to apply for your first visa from your home country especially if it's valid for 6 months rom issue instead of the 3 month ones you will get around here.

laos has been a very popular place to tour through and get a thai visa at the end of your trip at vientiane.

have you been to thailand before ?

I have always been a bit hesitant to use the two passports like that basically because I was unsure of my

rights and obligations in that way. Although I must admit I once flew into Los Angeles airport from

Sydney and when I got to the border patrol officer in a very customer friendly way he said

" and which passport would you like to enter the USA on today ".

Yes I have been to Thailand before in fact I worked in Bangkok in 2005.

Edited by Asiantravel

Do you have a set itinerary, or are you just going to ad lib it? What is your first port of entry and how long to you intend to stay and where are you going next?

not set in stone but the idea is at the end of the first three months I would go to Cambodia for a month and Vietnam for a month for example.

Then I would request another three months in Thailand than I would go to myanmar for one month and Indonesia for one month.

So far that rough itinerary would take up 10 months so I would only need about the two months in Thailand again if I decide to

spend the remainder of the time there or I could go to Malaysia for one month and then a final 30 day stamp in Thailand. So we are really only looking at two

90 day tourist visas for Thailand?

Edited by Asiantravel

From this post of yours I gather that you are currently in Thailand. The best bet for a double-entry tourist at the moment is Suvannakhet. If you haven't got too many Thai visas in your passport already, Vientiane is also a possibility. When you have used up these two entries, with sojourns in other countries in the region in between, Suvannakhet, Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur should be good for the single-entry tourist visa you still need to complete your year in Southeast Asia.

If I use my British passport I haven't had any visas for Thailand whatsoever since 2005?

The last one in that passport was a non-B which allowed me to have a work permit at that time.

Edited by Asiantravel

it sounds like your going to be in thailand at least twice so why don't you get a double entry to start with ?

as long as it's got 6 months validity you'll be fine with a 2-3 month gap inbetween the entries.

also if something happens and you want to fly back to thailand quickly you can.

if your going for seperate single entries it maybe an idea to try and get one first in cambodia and if unsuccessful try again in vientnam if your really unlucky try in laos .

you should be fine.

:)

it sounds like your going to be in thailand at least twice so why don't you get a double entry to start with ?

as long as it's got 6 months validity you'll be fine with a 2-3 month gap inbetween the entries.

also if something happens and you want to fly back to thailand quickly you can.

if your going for seperate single entries it maybe an idea to try and get one first in cambodia and if unsuccessful try again in vientnam if your really unlucky try in laos .

you should be fine.

smile.png

thanks chris.

but as I understand it no countries in this region issue double entries? Or am I incorrect?

It's a hassle to go all the way back to Australia just for a Visa

where are you currently then ?

you can get double entries around here but only valid for 3 months from issue so not suitable for the type of travelling your planning.

if your currently in autralia you can get a double entry 6 month validity from some of the embassies there,

the validity isn't how long you stay in thailand for its how long you have to enter.

I have always been a bit hesitant to use the two passports like that basically because I was unsure of my

rights and obligations in that way. Although I must admit I once flew into Los Angeles airport from

Sydney and when I got to the border patrol officer in a very customer friendly way he said

" and which passport would you like to enter the USA on today ".

Yes I have been to Thailand before in fact I worked in Bangkok in 2005.

Interesting that US Immigration asked you that. Once it's your turn in the queue at immigration and you walk to the officer, the first thing you will do is hand the passport to him/her. Did you give them one passport and they asked you this question just to show (after scanning your passport - unless they know you personally) that they know?

Your rights and obligations in Thailand may depend on the passport you present when arriving in the country (which will be the same that carries the visa), but there is no difference between a EU and a AU passport that I am aware of. The point is that you have to identify yourself with the same passport you entered on during your stay and upon leaving, the other passport stays unused in your pocket.

If you enter Thailand on the other passport next time, this should be no issue. (At this moment, I am not sure whether Thailand is one of the countries that ask you in the visa application or in the Arrival Card whether you have ever entered the country under different nationality, though.)

Interesting that US Immigration asked you that. Once it's your turn in the queue at immigration and you walk to the officer, the first thing you will do is hand the passport to him/her. Did you give them one passport and they asked you this question just to show (after scanning your passport - unless they know you personally) that they know?

Your rights and obligations in Thailand may depend on the passport you present when arriving in the country (which will be the same that carries the visa), but there is no difference between a EU and a AU passport that I am aware of. The point is that you have to identify yourself with the same passport you entered on during your stay and upon leaving, the other passport stays unused in your pocket.

If you enter Thailand on the other passport next time, this should be no issue. (At this moment, I am not sure whether Thailand is one of the countries that ask you in the visa application or in the Arrival Card whether you have ever entered the country under different nationality, though.)

actually yes you are right I gave them one of the passports whereas their computer showed that I would be

entering on the other passport probably from the airline records.

but it was the fact that they were ready to give me the choice that was amazing and they were not fussed about it.