Lower Cognitive Ability Linked To Homopobia (Etc.)

Jingthing

Not all that surprising really, but the first time I've seen this presented this way.

Maybe gay activists shouldn't focus so much on getting Debby Has Two Daddies in preschools but rather support better education more generically.

A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice.
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/04/0956797611421206.abstract

Any belief system that has conviction without examination of evidence is going to result in lower mental efficiency and performance. Ironically, the conviction can be so strong- and the need to save face so great- that even in the blunt face of failure, many people with highly dedicated belief systems will not change their minds and will become even more immovable.

Let me translate the abstract:

In the UK, they found that stupid people are more inclined to be prejudiced against gays. Almost 16,000 people surveyed is a huge sample.

They double-checked in the US and could confirm their findings. The abstract does not offer sample size, or demographics. But that's OK, it's only an abstract.

I'd be interested in how the results would have been in Asia. And because of cultural differences, I'd like to see the wordings of the questions.

On second thought, I don't. This research was about the UK and the US, where we luckily don't live.

Any belief system that has conviction without examination of evidence is going to result in lower mental efficiency and performance. Ironically, the conviction can be so strong- and the need to save face so great- that even in the blunt face of failure, many people with highly dedicated belief systems will not change their minds and will become even more immovable.

Isn't that the Republican manifesto??

• Like 1

Isn't that the Republican manifesto??

The opposite of bravery is not cowardice but conformity. (Robert Anthony)

In England there is a campain against homophobia in British sport, as i understand the English Football Assosiation (FA) will try to re-educate the fans on the terraces, with the hope that when players "come out", they will not have 100.000 people shouting anti-gay insults, the very sad death of Justin Fashanu, who was a very talented professional football player, who i saw play and witnessed the mass crowd hysteria against him, with very young children spitting and throwing things, i suppose just to conform and be an excepted part of the crowd

As Homophobia and Rasistisam, is a personality dissorder, and can be cured, by re-education and removing the stigma related to homosexuality, but this must start in the schools, but as most gays are seen as phedophilies or unclean people, first you have to re-educate the school boards

http://www.lgbtsr.com/2012/01/uk-documentary-takes-look-at-homophobia.html

In England there is a campain against homophobia in British sport, as i understand the English Football Assosiation (FA) will try to re-educate the fans on the terraces, with the hope that when players "come out", they will not have 100.000 people shouting anti-gay insults, the very sad death of Justin Fashanu, who was a very talented professional football player, who i saw play and witnessed the mass crowd hysteria against him, with very young children spitting and throwing things, i suppose just to conform and be an excepted part of the crowd

As Homophobia and Rasistisam, is a personality dissorder, and can be cured, by re-education and removing the stigma related to homosexuality, but this must start in the schools, but as most gays are seen as phedophilies or unclean people, first you have to re-educate the school boards

http://www.lgbtsr.co...homophobia.html

What is "Rasistisam", Rusty? Even allowing for typos, I can't work that one out.

Back to the topic, I have doubts about this kind of research, because it seems so like wish fulfilment. As I posted elsewhere on TV, my initial reaction to OP was, "Well, of course they are." This has no empiric validity, but I bet most gays react the same way.

http://www.lgbtsr.co...homophobia.html

What is "Rasistisam", Rusty? Even allowing for typos, I can't work that one out.

Back to the topic, I have doubts about this kind of research, because it seems so like wish fulfilment. As I posted elsewhere on TV, my initial reaction to OP was, "Well, of course they are." This has no empiric validity, but I bet most gays react the same way.

Ok sorry teach " Racism". But maybe looking at it logically and in context, "Rasistisam",could be be the fear of Rastafaria? wacko.png

Ok sorry teach " Racism". But maybe looking at it logically and in context, "Rasistisam",could be be the fear of Rastafaria? wacko.png

Not sure whether it's true, but I heard that the Rastafari are/were anti-gay too.

Not sure whether it's true, but I heard that the Rastafari are/were anti-gay too.

Rastafari originated in Jamaica which is slightly, but not much, less homophobic than Iran.

OK, not my sub-forum and not my business what you guys discuss in here. Trouble is I hit 'view new posts' and this keeps popping up.

This is not in any way anti-gay, but, if I were to post something similar in general topics - such as "gays are stupid - here is a (dubious) link to prove it" I would be banned from TV in seconds.

However as a downtrodden minority group (in your eyes only), it is quite acceptable.

Sorry, but you are doing your 'cause' no favours whatsoever.

OK, not my sub-forum and not my business what you guys discuss in here. Trouble is I hit 'view new posts' and this keeps popping up.

This is not in any way anti-gay, but, if I were to post something similar in general topics - such as "gays are stupid - here is a (dubious) link to prove it" I would be banned from TV in seconds.

However as a downtrodden minority group (in your eyes only), it is quite acceptable.

good day Mr QED, i found this link in gay people, but while you where here why did you not leave your own personal thoughts to the subject matter, after all, we are all adults, as you are a hetro i would welcome your input

good day Mr QED, i found this link in gay people, but while you where here why did you not leave your own personal thoughts to the subject matter, after all, we are all adults, as you are a hetro i would welcome your input

No, you're wrong I think. Such an anti-gay baiting post is most certainly NOT welcome on the gay forum. I STRONGLY suggest nobody else respond to it. This is NOT the place for us to entertain the prejudices of or debate with non-friendlies. Edited by Jingthing

No, you're wrong I think. Such an anti-gay baiting post is most certainly NOT welcome on the gay forum. I STRONGLY suggest nobody else respond to it. This is NOT the place for us to entertain the prejudices of or debate with non-friendlies.

please we have to stay open minded, and except people as and what they are, if not we are the same as them

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. ~Will Rogers

Rastafari originated in Jamaica which is slightly, but not much, less homophobic than Iran.

Maybe the the norm, but i know one personaly who is not giggle.gif

For my part, I am astonished that the fact that the average homophobe is more stupid than the rest of people needed to be proven by a study.

It seems obvious and common sense that obtuse people who are unable to see beyond a person's sexual orientation cannot be very bright - it reminds me of a mathematical demonstration proving that 1 + 1 = 2 (I really witnessed math buffs proving that).

The reason is simple: developing an intelligence requires objectivity, abstraction and the ability to admit making mistakes as well as neutrality and open mindedness until a fact is clearly established.

These qualities do not mix well with prejudices like homophobia, racism, ... and the list can extend to strong religious belief too.

Edited by manarak

And you are welcome to not post here. There is a link between 'stupidity' and homophobia. In this thread the link has been supported.

Edited by Scott

Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes : Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact

Has anyone else read this besides me?

Yes, I have.

Why do you ask?

I found it to be a difficult read, mainly because it has been decades since I had to read an article such as this one. Most recently I have had to read rules, regulations and the law that the rules and regulations were written from. The sentence structure of this document was greatly different from what I am currently used to. I will have to read it again once or twice to have a better grasp on what Hodson and Busseri has written.

My first impression is, the study on which the article was written about, was made to support a preconceived idea or belief. The problem with that impression though, is my lack of knowledge of the multitude of references included in the study. I think I may have read one or two of the older references as assignments from my psychology classes, but it has been too long ago for me to be sure. It would take me a long time to read all the references before I can have an informed understanding of the article.

Overall I found the article interesting and I enjoyed reading it. Going on the premise that the research is valid, then some of the people I grew up with in the backwoods of Louisiana would be who the research was about. Scary people.

My experience is that most people do not read literature such as this. A person might read the abstract, but would not read any further than page two (of the PDF). I have seen this with some of the people I used to work with.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had read the article, as I said, I found it to be a difficult read.