More Than 220 Dead As Europe Freezes

webfact

More than 220 dead as Europe freezes

• 223 people dead in last seven days
  • 1600 people treated for frostbite and hypothermia
  • Venice canals started freezing over
  • Ancient monuments like the Colosseum closed

Temperatures have plunged to new lows in Europe where a week-long cold snap has now claimed more than 220 lives as forecasters warned that the big freeze would tighten its grip over the weekend.

A total of 223 people have died from the cold weather in the last seven days according to an AFP tally, with Ukraine suffering the heaviest toll.

People have been found dead on the streets in some countries, while thousands have been trapped in mountain villages in Serbia. In Italy, Venice’s canals started freezing over and even Rome was dusted in snow.

The lowest temperatures recorded in Europe were in the southwest of the Czech Republic, where the mercury dropped as low as -38.1C overnight.

The EU executive said that vital Russian gas deliveries had dropped in nine countries, with Russian giant Gazprom invoking flexibility clauses as it also braves a cold snap. Supplies fell 30 per cent in Austria and 24 per cent in Italy.

Ukraine’s emergencies ministry raised its [more...]

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...0204-1qyg6.html

-- smh.com.au 2012-02-04

footer_n.gif

Well thankfully us Scots aren't getting it so bad for a change +3 today, +10 thru the week! Shorts n T-shirt on defo :-)

Last year was the worst winter here for many years, I flew from bkk +34 to glasgow -18, instant cold/flu for me! We have a cheek to have a moan, I've met a few Russians from Siberia in Thailand who fly back home to -40!

Well thankfully us Scots aren't getting it so bad for a change +3 today, +10 thru the week! Shorts n T-shirt on defo :-)

Last year was the worst winter here for many years, I flew from bkk +34 to glasgow -18, instant cold/flu for me! We have a cheek to have a moan, I've met a few Russians from Siberia in Thailand who fly back home to -40!

Don't even have to go that far away for it anymore...

The lowest temperatures recorded in Europe were in the southwest of the Czech Republic, where the mercury dropped as low as -38.1C overnight.

I've old been in -27.5C and that was enough for me.

Sad to hear of the death and suffering caused by natural events like extreme temperatures ... or flooding.

Odd that no one on ThaiVisa seems to be blaming European governments. Surely they could have planned better for such things ... or is it only the Thai government that is lambasted when Mother Nature whacks you?

Sad to hear of the death and suffering caused by natural events like extreme temperatures ... or flooding.

Odd that no one on ThaiVisa seems to be blaming European governments. Surely they could have planned better for such things ... or is it only the Thai government that is lambasted when Mother Nature whacks you?

What steps could any gov't take when they temperature drops so low? It's not like flooding at all.

Nonsense. The local police in some US cities go around and round up the local homeless people and take them to shelters when it gets too cold. In some places they have to have special authority to hold people against their will.

In the far north of the US, it is against the law for the electric company to cut off people in winter for non payment of bill. There are special fuel subsidies for the poor etc.

Looking at the area affected/population, someone must be doing something or the death count would be much higher. Each time mother nature displays her stength/unpredictable nature, man impliments new, what he thinks are adequate safeguards/plans. Eventually nature displays her contempt for those under estimated plans. Humility and admitting that we are not all knowing seems to take a natural or man made disaster on a fairly regular basis.

• Like 1

The highest death toll was in Ukraine. When I lived in Russia, a lot of the people who would die when it got really cold were people who had been drinking too much and passed out outside where they froze to death. I would presume alcohol was also a factor in Ukraine.

Flooding can be caused by overbuilding, deforestation, not-maintaining dams and levies (New Orleans) - all something the gov't has control over. Minus 38.5C is 100% nature.

btw- the Bush Admin got slammed for the flooding when the levy broke in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. They got slammed for the response afterwards as well. I'm not trying to derail this topic, just pointing out that the Thai gov't isn't the only gov't which gets criticized when Mother Nature decides to show who's boss.

What steps could any gov't take when they temperature drops so low? It's not like flooding at all.

Fuel stockpiles, road salt stockpiles, positioning of snow removal and rescue equipment, implementation of emergency shelters etc. Many of those dying are the elderly, sick, homeless, poor etc.

Nonsense. The local police in some US cities go around and round up the local homeless people and take them to shelters when it gets too cold. In some places they have to have special authority to hold people against their will.

In the far north of the US, it is against the law for the electric company to cut off people in winter for non payment of bill. There are special fuel subsidies for the poor etc.

US emergency home heating fuel subsidy of approx. $1000. has been used up for most and the poor are sitting in homes without heat. Suggest you check out local news urls in the NE USA. Alaska was waiting for a couple weeks as the USCGS attempted to clear a path through the ice for a Russian fuel ship bringing in emergency fuel supplies. Many Alaskan cities had never seen snow like this before. Same for Europe. Everyone was unprepared because of past mild winters and more importantly, financial constraints that precluded stockpiling of supplies. The Ukraine, Alaska, etc. are not strangers to cold weather, but this was overwhelming.

How long is this unusually cold weather expected to last?

I was reading an article on Google News a few days before the cold descended on Europe, it said we are in a Solar minimum which could lead to a mini ice age, the article said the last time this happened the Thames was frozen over and the Dutch canals were frozen solid. This cold snap is unusual and hopefully will not last much longer, but if what I read is correct, it could be lead to a very long winter.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by TomTao

Fuel stockpiles, road salt stockpiles, positioning of snow removal and rescue equipment, implementation of emergency shelters etc. Many of those dying are the elderly, sick, homeless, poor etc.

I was under the impression that people were dying because of extreme cold, not because of too much snow and ice.

Whenever it gets unusually too hot or too cold for an extended period fuel usage goes through the roof to either heat or cool a place. It isn't really possible to hoard enough fuel across the entire region just in case some extreme temperature comes along. The bottom line is that Mother Nature is the real boss of the planet and not much mankind can do about it.

On a side note - has anyone else noticed that almost all the threads here lately have been about people dying? All over the world in many countries due to accidents, wars, weather, etc. Is it the Apocalypse?

Edited by koheesti