Real Estate Agent Wants Cut On Rental Contract Renewal

Hi,

I rented a condo through an estate agent last year. They were middle men between myself and the owner and assisted in drafting an English language rental agreement between myself and the owner that lasted for a year.

Renewal time is now coming and I though of settling things with the owner directly.

However the estate agent rang and wants me to sign a contract with them, so that they can take their cut.

The owner then tells me not to let myself be pushed by the agent and says he's happy with me not even having a contract, as long as I keep paying on time the way I have been ding the last year.

The agent keeps pushing me and already posted me a blank renewal contract.

Now is this the way it works in Bangkok? Do estate companies really expect to get their cut each time a contract has been renewed, without them having any work expect of printing some documents?

Is that common practise, or am I dealing with a genuine parasite here?

Tnx for your thoughts

Tell the agent to contact the owner.

The owner no longer has any agreement with the agent as he already has a tenant.

The agent should have thought to write a longer contract in the beginning and then been able to get a larger commission, but he didn't.

I had about the same situation only i'm the owner of the house and i used an agent to rent out my house.

The tenant asked me if he could do the next year rental directly with me which was fine for me.

I just informed the agent that his service where no longer needed.

He did not mind as he had his commission for the first year already.

Basically just tell the agent that you don't need him any more as you are going to rent the condo directly from the owner.