Cheapest/Locals Indian Food?

glbv

Ive tried masala art, indian chaat, red, Mrs. Bs and a handful of other resturaunts but im looking for the indian food that the locals eat. I know they cant be paying 100-200B for even the most basic of dishes and up to 500B for meatier ones.

I just got back from Laos and there was a resturaunt there that for 3 people came out to be about 600B. With about 2-3 dishes each and enough nana and roti to stuff us this would have cost easily 1000-2000+ even at the most basic of BKK resturaunts. Why is there such a massive difference between indian food here and else where.

Sukumvit is a high rent area.Very much doubt you will find any cheap Indian food there. You will find cheap in Little India, which is at the end of Chinatown Start at Chakraphet Road, , Between the road and a Klong ,there is a big range of restaurants, Veg and non veg, Mainly in the lower price range, but 1 or 2 are more expensive. Mainly only Indians eat there, not many farang know about it.

Not in Sukhumvit. You need to travel to little India to get cheap Indian food. The high-light, and reknowned amongst every Indian I talk to in BKK, is Punjabi Sweets. Locate India Emporium in little India (Thanon Chakraphet). Stand facing across the main road and you will see a little soi/entranceway. Go down there and you will find plenty of excellent places to eat decent Indian food and realistic prices (Thalis from B60-120).

---edit---

Realised that I am just repeating the advice from above...oh well, goes to prove a point, I guess.

Edited by draftvader

There are many indian restaurants neAr indian temple at silom road. Though cheaper but you have to compromise with taste. I am a regular customer at tamilnadu south indian restaurant on silom soi 11. Good food at average price.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• 1 month later...

As far as Sukhumvit goes I know of a pretty cheap Southern Indian place called Sri Ganesh on soi 20/1 (note that's 20 slash 1) which is popular with local Indians. Don't go there expecting much in the way of atmosphere but the food is the real thing. It's vegetarian and I'm pretty sure they don't serve alcohol either. I think their thali set is B150 - quite cheap for lower-mid Sukhumvit in my opinion.

I have been taken by Indian colleagues to some great cheap places in little India as others have said that seems to be the place for quality Indian food. I also love Mrs B,s and go there often but for somewhere cheaper and also good on sukhumvit cross over to soi 8 then take the first tiny sub soi on the left 15mtrs down there on the right . i cant remember the name but its the only restaurant in the sub soi, great food and pretty cheap.

I have been taken by Indian colleagues to some great cheap places in little India as others have said that seems to be the place for quality Indian food. I also love Mrs B,s and go there often but for somewhere cheaper and also good on sukhumvit cross over to soi 8 then take the first tiny sub soi on the left 15mtrs down there on the right . i cant remember the name but its the only restaurant in the sub soi, great food and pretty cheap.

I forgot about that place, the name's Namuskar or something like that. The Indian owner's a nice guy. Think the staff might be Burmese.

Food court on top floor of Indian Emporium.

Yep, I ate at 3 places there in Indian emporium. There is one who has some food like rice already prepared. It obviously was not basmati rice and there was cheese in it. It actually didn't taste too bad, but the point was that it wasn't very authentic. There was another place closer to the front and their prices are a little higher, but the spices and rice is the real deal. As many times as I've been to little india (Pahurat) I never fequented the indian resturants. As much walking as you will do in that place, I guess it would take you a few days just to scope out the small shops and see what suits your tastes.

There is also a indian mini food shop called "Little India" (outside on the left hand side of India Emporium where I get basmati rice by the small sack). They speak good english and could direct you to the correct restaurants.