Where Are The A/C Cafes With Free Wi-Fi Connections ?

healthcaretaker

Many of the mom & pop coffee shops have an air conditioned inside with free wifi, but they are scattered. Most of the larger shopping centers (Kad Suan Kaew, Airport Plaza, Pantip all offer free wifi) and all the coffee shops inside those centers offer their own wifi service.

I just left Kad Suan Kaew an hour ago. I asked the reception about wi-fi areas but she did not mention any free wi-fi available inside although she knows where to recommend for internet cafes.

I found Doi Chang cafe a short distance away.

Where are the other Doi Chang cafes ? Any in Night Bazaar area ?

Fully enclosure to me means like Doi Chang, Black Canyon, Wawee or Starbucks where they is a closed door and outside air won't come direct in, or inside a shopping mall.

I think spending time in such places is better than walking outside under the hot sun or sitting in a park when you are not at home.

If I can get free wi-fi with nice coffee, why not ?

Black Canyon has nice coffee but no wifi, Starsucks has poor coffee and yet charge for wifi, Wawee has nice coffee but charge too.

I think spending time in such places is better than walking outside under the hot sun or sitting in a park when you are not at home.

Black Canyon has nice coffee but no wifi, Starsucks has poor coffee and yet charge for wifi, Wawee has nice coffee but charge too.

No one yet has mentioned what these wifi fees would be. Must not be so expensive that some places offer it for free.

Are the coffee shops that offer it for a fee so expensive that would put someone off buying more than one cup of coffee to spend probably hours in air con surroundings on a hot sunny ?

Someone posted a couple months back , an apt word title for the something brigade , for those who are frugal beyond belief...... I said to myself, gotta remember this phrase, but I didn't .....

Someone please post what these sky high fees would be..

G

Ok, just found out that Black Canyon Coffee is providing free wi-fi now. What a refreshing surprise.

No one is limited to 1 drink, can always order more

More drinks or not, we should not support unscrupulous business people who charge for wifi when it hardly cost anything.

BTW, Kad Suan Kaew, don't provide free wi-fi now, unlike many malls in Bangkok.

Depending on the device you use to access the Internet, there are a number of free applications available online that identify wifi hotspots free and paid, including those in Chiang Mai.

Business owners who don't supply free services are "unscrupulous"? Lol...

Ok, just found out that Black Canyon Coffee is providing free wi-fi now. What a refreshing surprise.

No one is limited to 1 drink, can always order more

More drinks or not, we should not support unscrupulous business people who charge for wifi when it hardly cost anything.

BTW, Kad Suan Kaew, don't provide free wi-fi now, unlike many malls in Bangkok.

If it hardly costs anything what is the whole point of your whining.

Do you really think these business are in business just to make you happy. They deserve a profit.When you were working did you do it for free?

Get a air stick and you can use it any where.

• Like 1

No one yet has mentioned what these wifi fees would be. Must not be so expensive that some places offer it for free.

Are the coffee shops that offer it for a fee so expensive that would put someone off buying more than one cup of coffee to spend probably hours in air con surroundings on a hot sunny ?

Someone posted a couple months back , an apt word title for the something brigade , for those who are frugal beyond belief...... I said to myself, gotta remember this phrase, but I didn't .....

G

Had to dig it up...... but the term was "Tight Fist Brigade" ,,,,best I can find out is the author credit for the above phrase should go to member Jonwilly

Some folks do over work themselves with their own expectations.

Edited by ThePunPun

I've seen people sitting in these places for hours nursing a coffee. Is it just a cheap way of avoiding paying fees for wifi and air con at home? They are particularly full during the hot season.

Yes. wink.png

Of the places mentioned, I've been in a Doi Chang coffee shop that provided free WiFi. Of course their coffee is expensive and not all that great.

Anyway: which part of town would you prefer? There are so many these days that you couldn't list them all.

I can also give you some of my favorite ones, though some of those are open air, such as the Mamia Coffee shop on the Ping river, south of the Iron Bridge. Lovely place though; better than the Wawi on the river (next to riverside) in every way, and cheaper, AND free Internet.

But anyway: closed & aircon: which part of town? Also, to make sure I understand the requirement: should it be closed primarily to reduce the noise level, or is the main reason that it should be cool/air conditioned? I ask because not all closed and aircon places are particularly quiet. (Can be downright noisy)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

G

I think I am with you on this one .... something like 30 mins free WIFI with purchase isn't unreasonable ... but I have seen some real abusers of this type of thing. Personally, this being 2012 and all,,, I'd be expecting people to have their own connection and wouldn't be offering up my AC and limited table space to the "tight fisted crowd".

Had to dig it up...... but the term was "Tight Fist Brigade" ,,,,

In Pattaya they are known as balloon chasers as the bars giving away free food for the night are always decorated with balloons.

In Chiang Mai they call them farangs.

You've got a point there. biggrin.png

Some of you are really funny.....

hellodolly,

Did I say I want to use their place or wifi for free ? I will buy their drinks or food but will not wish to pay extra for their wifi when it don't cost them anything much.If I can get them in Doi Chang, Black Canyon or Rachadamneon Cafe for free, why should I pay for them in Suckbucks or Wawee if they charge ?

Winnie,

Thanks. I don't like to go open air or open doors type because they are not cooling enough for me. Locations walkable from Thapae Gate, Night Market, Kad Suan Kaew or Wawarot will be ideal for me as I only know these 4 places well.

jdinasia,

I am not a local. Even not all Thais have connections of their own. If your opinion is right to apply(for those business cafes) then all Cafes should not even provide wifi, whether free or chargeable.

I am not a thrifty person but I consider it sinful to waste money. If I have the extra money to waste, I rather give it away to charity or the Wats. Business establishments are not sinful to charge but simply unscrupulous to a certain extent. So I choose to avoid them if possible.

• Like 1

Winnie,

Thanks. I don't like to go open air or open doors type because they are not cooling enough for me. Locations walkable from Thapae Gate, Night Market, Kad Suan Kaew or Wawarot will be ideal for me as I only know these 4 places well.

Oki.

Close to the Night Bazar is Cafe de Siam. It's on the corner of Loi Kroh and Kamphaeng Din roads, near the bridge over the little stream.

Aircon, free WiFi and they have coffee, drinks and food at lower mid-range prices.

----

On the topic if WiFi should be free: Yes, of course. The cost to the shop is NOT in the Internet which is really low. The cost (for a busy place) is in someone hogging an entire table for two hours, causing potential customers to go elsewhere. For a place that is not too busy (or when the place is just larger) this doesn't apply, and it would even be good to have some people inside, as people attract people when it comes to restaurants, bars and coffee shops.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Thanks Winnie,

I saw Cafe de Siam but always in the wrong timing, will certainly patronise them one day. Already left CM now. They look spacious inside but/because of few seatings. Agree with you on the reason why some places don't provide wifi, restaurants normally don't but cafes usually do.

Semper,

Sorry to missed out on you earlier. I am travelling and touring. Why should i be confined to my bedroom ?