Long-Term Stay (6-12 Months) In Thailand: Is There A Way?

Hi,

I am a US permanent resident though I bear a Ukrainian passport.

The tourist visa is for 60 days and I am not sure what would be the way to get a long-term permit. I was wondering if there is a way for me to stay in Thailand for half a year or a year?

Thanks in advance

A 60 day tourist visa can normally be extended 30 days and more such visas obtained. For long stay when no other path fits most people find education visa/extensions (ED) by part time study of Thai language to be an option.

Double entry tourist visa, each entry 60 days extendable by 30 days gives you 6 months in total.

Thanks a lot for your response!

As per Thai Consulate web site ( oops, I can't post links here :-( ) "this visa can be extended 1 time only". I would have read it as only 1 extension could be granted, not two.

Also, I am trying to understand:

1. What kind of document do I need to provide, if any, to get double entry visa

2. What is supposed to be an interval between the entries? Eg Can I just go to Laos or Vietnam for 1 day and get back right away or do I need to stay away for an extended period of time from the date of leaving the country to the second entry?

Thanks in advance!

A 60 day tourist visa can normally be extended 30 days and more such visas obtained. For long stay when no other path fits most people find education visa/extensions (ED) by part time study of Thai language to be an option.

Thanks for the answer!

My intent is to stay at Koh Phangan and it looks like the island is devoided of any educational institutions. Can you be so kind as to point me in the right direction regarding the details of education visa/extensions?

triple tourist visa with 6 months validity - if used correctly can get 270 days from issue out of it.

not many places issue them thou .

Thanks for the answer!

Do you happen to know how could I obtain such a visa? Thai Consulate in New York doesn't seem to provide this option.

triple tourist visa with 6 months validity - if used correctly can get 270 days from issue out of it.

Thanks for the answer!

Do you happen to know how could I obtain such a visa? Thai Consulate in New York doesn't seem to provide this option.

i don't know where in the usa issues them , can you call them - maybe you can apply through the post to a different embassy ?

being on koh pang yang is going to make it difficult for border runs - i guess you could take a couple of boats down to malaysia ? or goto samui and fly out but not cheap ? or maybe there's a ferry accross to cambodia or something ?

why can't you get an ed-visa and say your living somewhere else ?

must be some way of doing it many people in pang yang

Thanks for the answer!

i don't know where in the usa issues them , can you call them - maybe you can apply through the post to a different embassy ?

being on koh pang yang is going to make it difficult for border runs - i guess you could take a couple of boats down to malaysia ? or goto samui and fly out but not cheap ? or maybe there's a ferry accross to cambodia or something ?

I'd love to get the ED visa or volunteer and then actually work -- that'd be fine by me. All the hassle with leaving the country and then hoping for re-entry permit doesn't sit well on me.

I am a newbie here and I don't know how can I do that yet. If I could be pointed in the right direction for how can I apply for ED visa/volunteer teaching at Koh Phangan that'd be terrific.

there's a samui , pangnan and tao section here - ask people how they do their visas.

there's a boat service that runs from samui to pangnan so i guess you could study in samui or something couple of times a week ?

you maybe able to find some cheap flights from samui to malaysia or something and do that every 3 months ?

i flew from samui to cambodia (phnom penn) so you could get new tourist visas from there - but it wasn't a cheap flight.

good luck

Double entry tourist visa, each entry 60 days extendable by 30 days gives you 6 months in total.

Thanks a lot for your response!

As per Thai Consulate web site ( oops, I can't post links here :-( ) "this visa can be extended 1 time only". I would have read it as only 1 extension could be granted, not two.

Also, I am trying to understand:

1. What kind of document do I need to provide, if any, to get double entry visa

2. What is supposed to be an interval between the entries? Eg Can I just go to Laos or Vietnam for 1 day and get back right away or do I need to stay away for an extended period of time from the date of leaving the country to the second entry?

Thanks in advance!

The one time refers to the 60 day entry not for two entries.

You will have to contact Consulate as to what they require.

No requirement between entry - it can be same day.

Thanks for the answer!

I'd love to get the ED visa or volunteer and then actually work -- that'd be fine by me. All the hassle with leaving the country and then hoping for re-entry permit doesn't sit well on me.

I am a newbie here and I don't know how can I do that yet. If I could be pointed in the right direction for how can I apply for ED visa/volunteer teaching at Koh Phangan that'd be terrific.

I'm on an ED visa. Find a language school you like. You will be required to attend a minimum number of hours in class. Once you find a language school, you will need to pay the tuition which is a little pricey 20k-30k baht per year, could be less if you go for fewer lessons, eg., six months (I think, your school will know). You'll need to pay this up front to the school. Once you pay the school, the school will assist with the necessary paperwork for immigration. The school paperwork only takes a week or two; getting the ED visa at the immigration office only takes a couple of hours. It's really that simple.

I really like being on the ED visa because you don't have to leave the country, it forces you to spend some time learning the language, and an ED visa is extendable for up to a year at three month intervals. The extensions cost 1900 baht.

I'm on an ED visa. Find a language school you like. You will be required to attend a minimum number of hours in class. Once you find a language school, you will need to pay the tuition which is a little pricey 20k-30k baht per year, could be less if you go for fewer lessons, eg., six months (I think, your school will know). You'll need to pay this up front to the school. Once you pay the school, the school will assist with the necessary paperwork for immigration. The school paperwork only takes a week or two; getting the ED visa at the immigration office only takes a couple of hours. It's really that simple.

I really like being on the ED visa because you don't have to leave the country, it forces you to spend some time learning the language, and an ED visa is extendable for up to a year at three month intervals. The extensions cost 1900 baht.

Just to add to this, there are 2 methods of staying in thailand with ed visa ( or most non-immigrant visas):

1) Obtain a multiple entry ed visa. each entry into thailand is good for 90 days. On or before 90 days, you do a visa/border run to a neighbor country. These cost between 1000-2000 baht and takes between 2-14 hours roundtrip depending on how far you are from the border. When you re-enter thailand, you get another 90 days stay.

2) you get a single entry ed visa. Then you apply for 90 day extension of stay at your local immigration office 1900 baht. not sure how long this takes, and what paperwork is required. you cannot leave thailand without a re-entry permit. That is an extra 1000 baht or so.

Btw, to obtain a ed visa, it does not have to be a language school or university. Scuba dive shop or any learning institution will do. The letter of invite should specify that it will take 12 months or longer for coursework or program. If you know the right people, you can obtain letter of invite much cheaper than 30,000 baht.

I always recommend option 1 for maximum flexibility and minimal hassle. I perfected a program for those with usa passports or us residency or possibly those with friends in usa. You'd have to mail your passport to thai honorary consulate. See good luck.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

Hi,

I am a US permanent resident though I bear a Ukrainian passport.

The tourist visa is for 60 days and I am not sure what would be the way to get a long-term permit. I was wondering if there is a way for

me to stay in Thailand for half a year or a year?

Thanks in advance

Answer:

Hi. Have you considered an ED visa? Find a language school you like. I study at Pro Language and

have been on the ED visa for over

2 years already. I think this school is one of the best and lots of people recommend it. Some school

are just after you money.

They are very efficient at the visa application and will help you a lot. Its very smooth running. You will

be required to attend a minimum

number of hours in class. You will need to pay the tuition fee which you can discuss with the marketing

staff there., could be less if you

go for fewer lessons,

eg., six months. You'll need to pay this up front to the school. Once you pay the school, the school will

assist with the necessary paperwork for immigration. The school paperwork only takes a week or two;

getting the ED visa at the

immigration office only takes a couple of hours. It's really that simple.

I really like being on the ED visa because you don't have to leave the country, it forces you to spend

some time learning the language,

and an ED visa is extendable for up to a year at three month intervals. The extensions cost 1900 baht.

Hope this helps a bit!