Cable Tv Companies Are Taking The Piss

Gone

All the different Cable Companies in Pattaya are taking the piss more and more every month.

Has anyone else notices that for instance the Universal Channel repeats its self all the time?

Ex: Same Name, The Event, Law & Order etc. play the same shows over and over.

I don't think that the show "Same Name" has changed in weeks.

The Event plays the same shows over and over in different sequences and the series is YEARS old.

I won't go on and on but does anyone else see this happening? Anything we should do? After all we do pay for it.

And please, I am talking about basic cable so do not reply "Get a satellite etc.

I agree with you that the cable companies (in my case SoPhony) are <deleted>, but the example you mention is not the fault of cable. If the Universal channel sucks, it's the fault of the programmers of that channel, wherever their head office is in Asia.

Not true. Universal channel its self does not play repeats time after time. They are a legit TV station. It is the cable companies that are the ones (same as a disc jockey) that choses what to play. If they let UC run real time we would be seeing the real TV station of Universal.

Well, cable is a step forward from TV from Fox. These guys repeat programs (movies) for months! If you ask how much is 2x2 and one guy says it is 6 and another one says 5, don't you think that the second answer is a huge progress in maths? One might even call it a breakthrough in science.

Sorry, forgot, - get a satellite!

Edited by backsoon

I agree with you that the cable companies (in my case SoPhony) are <deleted>, but the example you mention is not the fault of cable. If the Universal channel sucks, it's the fault of the programmers of that channel, wherever their head office is in Asia.

Not true. Universal channel its self does not play repeats time after time. They are a legit TV station. It is the cable companies that are the ones (same as a disc jockey) that choses what to play. If they let UC run real time we would be seeing the real TV station of Universal.

Far fetched, only because if you see how they DJ their movie channels (falling alseep at the wheel and not inserting disc 2, etc) you'd know they're not talented enough to seemlessly cut N paste programs on the Universal channel.

Edited by jehricaholic

I agree with the comments in this topic and a related topic re Sophon cable. The stations are "taking the piss" and both quality and content have deteriorated a lot over the 2-3 years I have been here.

Over the last couple of weeks, in my condo in Central Pattaya, the Sophon feed quality has been total crap; apart from the BBC channel I have given-up watching the TV.

This is probably no bad thing - I've been reading more, going out more and watching quality stuff on DVD when I want to waitch the box. I think I'll just cancel the cable contract and save myself 300 THB a month.

Simon

What do you pay for this glorious cable service?

Mine is included in the Condo rent and its 300 THB a month.

I think True is better, but the decent packages are a lot more expensive, I seem to remember they are more like 1500 a month for Gold or Platinum.

With Sophon there are 2 issues now: the content is terrible, with so much filler and the movie channels appear to show rubbish 24 hrs a day with hardly ever a decent film; plus recently the picture quality and service interruptions have got worse (and they were never great).

You get what you pay for.

If you want 200 channels of rubbish instead of 40 channels of rubbish pay the extra for satellite.

As for universal, you don't know what you are talking about.

They play the exact feed that comes in from universal via satellite.

Possible it's not the same broadcast that universal send in the US, but it is down to universal not any thai cable company.

If you want to watch what you want, when you want, get an internet connection and download shows yourself.

If you want 200 channels of rubbish instead of 40 channels of rubbish pay the extra for satellite.

BINGO! after more than six years i am cancelling the satellite platinum rubbish as of the end of this month for which i paid ~28,000 Baht a year. enough is enough!

DON'T get a satellite because the Universal Channel on satellite is exactly the same as the one broadcast by the cable company as that's where they get their feed from.

Maybe you can switch to Banglamung cable? They broadcast Granada TV channel.

Possible it's not the same broadcast that universal send in the US, but it is down to universal not any thai cable company.

If you want to watch what you want, when you want, get an internet connection and download shows yourself.

1) So why is it my friends back in Canada tell me they also watch Universal Station and they get the current year and new series of "The Event", and "Law and Order" etc? You think if the UC played TV shows from 2002 that they would still be in business? Sorry but you are wrong.

2) Me posting here could be an indication that I already have an internet connection wouldn't you think? Again I can barely watch a youtube video without it buffering every 2 minutes and with the blocks the USA have put on torrents lately AND with the Thai Governments blocking of such sites it's almost impossible to do this.

If you know of a site that I can download TV Series (current year etc.) every week PLEASE let me know but guess what...........YOU CAN'T

• Like 1

DON'T get a satellite because the Universal Channel on satellite is exactly the same as the one broadcast by the cable company as that's where they get their feed from.

Maybe you can switch to Banglamung cable? They broadcast Granada TV channel.

I'm lucky that ITV/Granada are lax with protecting their copyright, get my thrice weekly Corrie fix from Youtube

1) So why is it my friends back in Canada tell me they also watch Universal Station and they get the current year and new series of "The Event", and "Law and Order" etc? You think if the UC played TV shows from 2002 that they would still be in business? Sorry but you are wrong.

Err... There was only ever one season of The Event, and it was cancelled on May 13, 2011...

• Like 1

2) Me posting here could be an indication that I already have an internet connection wouldn't you think? Again I can barely watch a youtube video without it buffering every 2 minutes and with the blocks the USA have put on torrents lately AND with the Thai Governments blocking of such sites it's almost impossible to do this.

If you know of a site that I can download TV Series (current year etc.) every week PLEASE let me know but guess what...........YOU CAN'T

The Universal received here is what is broadcast to the whole of Asia . Try looking at their web site and you would see this rather than spouting total rubbish.

I use 4 different torrent sites daily, but with an attitude like yours I will let you find them yourself.

From this http://en.wikipedia....iversal_Channel it looks like they have a different programme schedule in different regions.

I use a torrent search consolidator which gives results across the major non subscriber torrent sites which is good enough to collect the programming I want.

Edited by PattayaParent

All TV in Thailand is utter dross. When oh when are the cable channels ever going to learn how to pronounce PATTAYA correctly the same way as Thai people...someone coming here for the first time must wonder if they are talking about the same place....

As for "Thai Movie" as the GF calls local soaps....mind numbing with the exact same story line every time...women slapping one another, someone in a hospital bed...someone crying ...and constant "ning eye" being shouted...which is the only thing my western ear picks up...

On recent trip up country to darkest middle of Isaan. The GF's household have a Sat package of 200+ channels with none broadcasting in English. I think it is Chinese based ? not sure..after one session surfing through I had enough and went to look for snakes in the jungle...much better entertainment...

As all already suggested - get a hobby that has nothing to do with Television.

I switch off at the socket and in my head...it is the only way.

• Like 2

Well I don't frequent bars at night and the internet is just as evil as a "hobby" as TV so I'm left watching TV at home each night.

I think a group of us 'don't frequent the bars' types should hang out and make our own entertainment. I guess we're the one's who have a current average of 220-230 postsintheclub.gif

Edited by jehricaholic

• 1 year later...

Bab C, Your dead right mate, Torrents are the way to go if your interested in Movies and TV Series and keeping up to date, Yeah maybe you have to wait 12hrs for the seeders to upload the latest EP but well worth it.

But I also want my Australian Network espeacially for the footy and want my ed stuff, History, Discovery channels, Nat Geo channles and News.

Would it be possible to get these in SAT as I used to live in China where sat was illegal ha ha, still managed to get the Philippines Dream Channels there. Is this possible in Pattaya?

Any info would be appreciated and can send email to me of choices or and post.

DMroo

Torrents are the way to go..........

Torrents are great. I normally download an entire season so there's no waiting for the next episode.

I've also run across some really interesting sites that do live TV, and now some that have shows on demand. Some require a VPN, some don't.

I had problems with streaming videos also. I upped the package from ToT and it works very well now. Huge difference. Still get hiccups from youtube, but my live streaming sites work great.

Bab C, Your dead right mate, Torrents are the way to go if your interested in Movies and TV Series and keeping up to date, Yeah maybe you have to wait 12hrs for the seeders to upload the latest EP but well worth it.

But I also want my Australian Network espeacially for the footy and want my ed stuff, History, Discovery channels, Nat Geo channles and News.

Would it be possible to get these in SAT as I used to live in China where sat was illegal ha ha, still managed to get the Philippines Dream Channels there. Is this possible in Pattaya?

Any info would be appreciated and can send email to me of choices or and post.

DMroo

Sophon does have ABC network, channel 35