Cheap Steel Could Cause Collapses: Thailand

webfact

I would think the diameter and number of the steel bars or rebar would be more of a concern that the actual composition. I mean, the steal used isn't pure to begin with. Steal can be recyled and the lighter metal will burn off during the smelting process. I know that all of the foundations I have seen poured here, not a lot, have very small diameter rebar. I would call it more closer to wire gauge than rebar. So the next time you see a cracked building and roadway does that mean it has substandard material? Probably cutting corners would be a bigger danger along with not using enough concrete. I try very hard to stay out of tall buildings anyway.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a standard building and inspection code for new structures in Thailand? Are they enforced? Is there any documentation for traceability of materials used on these projects? Seeing welders fabricating structural steel in shorts and sandals and using sunglasses as an eyeshield makes me think not.

I would think the diameter and number of the steel bars or rebar would be more of a concern that the actual composition. I mean, the steal used isn't pure to begin with. Steal can be recyled and the lighter metal will burn off during the smelting process. I know that all of the foundations I have seen poured here, not a lot, have very small diameter rebar. I would call it more closer to wire gauge than rebar. So the next time you see a cracked building and roadway does that mean it has substandard material? Probably cutting corners would be a bigger danger along with not using enough concrete. I try very hard to stay out of tall buildings anyway.

Really ? so what your saying the tensile strength of the steel (which in part is to due in part to the composition) has nothing to do with it ?...huh.png

Using higher strength steel would result in rebar being of a smaller diameter and could mean less of them, dependent on the application

You do actually know why they put rebar in concrete dont you ?....I will give you a hint all to do with tension and compression of structual members

Seeing welders fabricating structural steel in shorts and sandals and using sunglasses as an eyeshield makes me think not.

These are not real welders, these are what we call rod burners

I work with real Thai welders and I can assure you they dont fabricate in shorts & sandles and wear sunglasses instead of the faceshield and in fact real Thai welders are some of the most skilled welders anywhere in the world and typically can weld rings around most US/UK & Aussie welders