Olympus Om-D

hughden

A new micro four thirds camera from Olympus this morning, the EM-5, the first model in a new range called OM-D, styled after the original OM cameras. Weather-sealed, five axis stabilisation, claimed to have the fastest auto-focus of any camera, a new focus tracking mechanism and an Olympus tweaked 16MP sensor. $999.

Uses micro four thirds lenses so there is the large range available from Olympus as shown in the photo, plus a huge selection from Panasonic, plus some other offerings such as the 35mm equivalent F0.95 Voigtlander announced a couple of days ago.

Lovely, but I just bought a Panasonic GX1 so will have to pass.

http://www.dpreview....ews/olympusem5/

post-3752-0-67770900-1328670172_thumb.jppost-3752-0-43229200-1328670158_thumb.jppost-3752-0-86124600-1328670189_thumb.jp

Edited by hughden

• 1 month later...

The local camera shop in Terminal 21 has this camera on their wall poster ..... so hopefully this indicates they will stock when it's released in Thailand. But I've heard that it's the same sensor as the G3, so not sure if it's worth the extra cost?

Olympus aren't saying where the sensor comes from; but it appears to be better than the the GX1 (which in turn is better than the G3). In fact it is so good that it the sample images on DPreview have created massive interest and comment; finally there is a micro four thirds camera with image quality so good that any gains from bigger, heavier cameras seem somewhat superfluous.

Especially when the sensor sits in a metal-framed waterproof body, with the most advanced image stabilisation ever put in a camera, plus a stabilised viewfinder. Add in a great choice of lenses and micro four thirds finally looks like a perfect solution, unless you want to print massive posters or capture fast moving objects.

Suspect the price in Thailand to be well over 30k baht though, even more if you have to buy it with a kit lens. Just wishing I hadn't bought a GX1!

Ah ... that brings back memories ... what a sexy little body she had.

Originially I had an OM-2 ... that is until I lent it to my German gf who accidiently spilt orange juice over it and it was an insurance write off.

But the money then bought me the cheaper O-10

Back to the OM-D ... would be nice ... Santa, are you listening?