April 9 Declared Bank Holiday: Thailand

April 9 declared bank holiday

BANGKOK, 8 February 2012 (NNT) – The Bank of Thailand (BoT) has revealed that April 9 has been declared a public holiday for all financial institutes.

BoT has revealed that the Cabinet, during its meeting on January 31, approved Monday 9 April 2012 as a special public holiday in order to provide an opportunity for financial institute 's staff to attend the Royal Cremation of Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana.

The Government is also seeking cooperation from the general public to wear mourning outfits between April 8 and 10, 2012 in commemoration of the royal cremation of HRH Princess Bejaratana.

Government offices, state enterprises, and educational institutions have been instructed to fly the national flags at half mast during the three-day mourning period, while entertainment venues will be asked to suspend or cut back their activities.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-08 footer_n.gif

So Mon 9th April.

I'll guess Songkran begins on Thurs 12th April.

I'll give odds of 2 to 1 that Tuesday and Wednesday will be made holidays to so people can enjoy a full week off.

Songkhran is the 13, 14, and 15, with substitute days of 16 and 17th April.

So you work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then off again till Wednesday 18th April.

Also remember that 6th April is Chakri Memorial day.

Edited by beano2274

So Mon 9th April.

I'll give odds of 2 to 1 that Tuesday and Wednesday will be made holidays to so people can enjoy a full week off.

So you work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then off again till Wednesday 18th April.

They'll make tues. wed, and thurs holidays too. Just like they did a few years ago for the monday and friday when songkran fell on the tues, wed, thursday.

10 days off, two to one folks, get yer bets in.

Edited by red1green0

Since July last year.

Why is there such a long period between death and cremation - serious question - no stoopid replies please

In Buddhism is is normal that people keep the body and pray (tambon) etc for some time. Usually it is in the multiples of 3 (Three) for instance a minimal is 3 days where the Thai's stay with the body day and night and keep the candles lit and people join and pay respects and eat, party so to speak. (3 days, nine days etc.)

For a person as high up as the Princess (Royalty) it is definitely going to be longer.

Edited by thaiphoon
Reference to now deleted post removed

A post with reference to HRH Princess Bejaratana had been removed. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family, whether living or deceased. Read up on forum rule #2.

I do like this sentence ".the Government is also seeking cooperation from the general public to wear mourning outfits between April 8 and 10, 2012 in commemoration of the royal cremation of HRH Princess Bejaratana", who is paying for the mourning outfits?

'Mourning outfits' may refer to the cloths colour and nothing more then a clumsy translation.

The Thai funerals that I have attended you are dressed in either black (predominantly) or white or a combination of the both.

So maybe the request is to dress in these colours during the mourning period as a show of respect?

So Mon 9th April.

They'll make tues. wed, and thurs holidays too. Just like they did a few years ago for the monday and friday when songkran fell on the tues, wed, thursday.

10 days off, two to one folks, get yer bets in.

That would be great, will now be the 10 deadly days of Songkran on the roads of Thailand