Ex-Con, Friend Confess To Attack On Chinese Tourist

Lite Beer

So one Chinese tourist gets hit over the head and the Chinese Consulate issues a warning to tourists which negatively affects tourism, hmm, can you imagine the effect if Western countries were to do the same thing every time a similar "event" took place involving a Western tourist in places such as Phuket or Pattaya! Methinks this has more to do with the esteem that China is held in rather than any thing else.

At present the Chinese are far bigger than the farang tourist from the western countries.

From what I've seen the americans are pretty much the biggest...............

The dots at the end suggest you want to say more, perhaps an attempt at humour, regardless, for the avoidance of doubt: the USA is not even close when compared to the likes of China and India, just consider the geographic locations and population numbers for a start.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather, I would blame western consulates for not standing up for their citizens the way the Chinese government has clearly done. The article states that the Chinese consul was at the temple for the police-re-enactment. As an American, I feel the like the U.S. has a "Well, you left America..."/som nam na-type attitude towards Americans in Thailand. The U.S. Embassy wouldn't send a representative to watch the police in Thailand do their polic-ing. Good for China for putting the fuego under Thailand's a*s for a change. It's very nice to see that someone, somewhere, forced the Thai police to actually live up to their responsibilities (albeit in a minor, post-mortem-type way). Go China!

What does the American embassy do here in Thailand? I think you will find that they would intervene.

As dispicable as the attack was, it is one attack out of a country populated by 70 million people. Re enactments of crimes are the norm here in Thailand; if the Chinese representitive attended then he is another character in the show.

But the article clearly states that this attack was carried out twenty times previously by the perpetrators. This was at a tourist site so presumably other tourists experienced this and were not assisted in any way by their embassies or the police...

The assailant allegedly admitted to 20 other attacks after he was arrested; the warning was issued for one assault. Unless I am reading that wrong?

...but only one Chinese attackee out of the 20.

So one Chinese tourist gets hit over the head and the Chinese Consulate issues a warning to tourists which negatively affects tourism, hmm, can you imagine the effect if Western countries were to do the same thing every time a similar "event" took place involving a Western tourist in places such as Phuket or Pattaya! Methinks this has more to do with the esteem that China is held in rather than any thing else.

Disagree, the Chinese don't give a shit where their countrymen holiday, they print the facts cos they are not earning from it and talk true.

• Like 1

How could any rational person come to this conclusion, when the Chinese goverment issues a warning to their own people? Is this what they said?:

I think what the warning says, is, rob and beat each other and other nationalities up as much as you want to but leave our people (Chinese) alone...

• Like 1

Disagree, the Chinese don't give a shit where their countrymen holiday, they print the facts cos they are not earning from it and talk true.

Disgaree, my take on this is that if you attack Chinese citizens you attack China and thta's not on when it comes to near nieghbours.

How could any rational person come to this conclusion, when the Chinese goverment issues a warning to their own people? Is this what they said?:

I think what the warning says, is, rob and beat each other and other nationalities up as much as you want to but leave our people (Chinese) alone...

As I asked you earlier, "Regardless, so what do you think the message says then, if not that?" (post 41)- trying to beat me up on the basis of alleged racisim or calling me irrational and playing games with what I've written hardly lets us know what you think!

Disgaree, my take on this is that if you attack Chinese citizens you attack China and thta's not on when it comes to near nieghbours.

Sorry but must disagree. If a UK guy gets mugged l have nooooo probs with the UK telling how it is. Same as the scams in Pats, tell all, save heartache when your meant to be having a holiday with your cash.

I think they were doing what they considered in the best interests of their people. And I would hope other countries' foreign representatives took note. As far as extrapolating to Chinese ambitions of political domination, I think that thesis is overstretched and off-topic here. Btw i played no games, you wrote what you wrote, with little thought doing so, other than slagging off at another country and making insinuations of its intent with zero evidence.

As I asked you earlier, "Regardless, so what do you think the message says then, if not that?" (post 41)- trying to beat me up on the basis of alleged racisim or calling me irrational and playing games with what I've written hardly lets us know what you think!

Edited by Reasonableman

I think they were doing what they considered in the best interests of their people. And I would hope other countries' foreign representatives took note. As far as extrapolating to Chinese ambitions of political domination, I think that thesis is overstretched and off-topic here. Btw i played no games, you wrote what you wrote, with little thought doing so, other than slagging off at another country and making insinuations of its intent with zero evidence.

+1

So you think that the Chinese government was doing what was in the best interests of their people, where have I said they were not!

BTW, enough of the personal attacks, either play nice or don't play!

Sorry but must disagree. If a UK guy gets mugged l have nooooo probs with the UK telling how it is. Same as the scams in Pats, tell all, save heartache when your meant to be having a holiday with your cash.

Say what! What ever does your reply have to do with the subject in my post, what exactly are you disagreeing with, do you know?

You'd be surprised how nice I can be, until riled. ;-) Peace.

So you think that the Chinese government was doing what was in the best interests of their people, where have I said they were not!

BTW, enough of the personal attacks, either play nice or don't play!

Rather, I would blame western consulates for not standing up for their citizens the way the Chinese government has clearly done. The article states that the Chinese consul was at the temple for the police-re-enactment. As an American, I feel the like the U.S. has a "Well, you left America..."/som nam na-type attitude towards Americans in Thailand. The U.S. Embassy wouldn't send a representative to watch the police in Thailand do their polic-ing. Good for China for putting the fuego under Thailand's a*s for a change. It's very nice to see that someone, somewhere, forced the Thai police to actually live up to their responsibilities (albeit in a minor, post-mortem-type way). Go China!

What does the American embassy do here in Thailand? I think you will find that they would intervene.

As dispicable as the attack was, it is one attack out of a country populated by 70 million people. Re enactments of crimes are the norm here in Thailand; if the Chinese representitive attended then he is another character in the show.

But the article clearly states that this attack was carried out twenty times previously by the perpetrators. This was at a tourist site so presumably other tourists experienced this and were not assisted in any way by their embassies or the police...

The assailant allegedly admitted to 20 other attacks after he was arrested; the warning was issued for one assault. Unless I am reading that wrong?

Nope. You didn't read that wrongly at all. You are saying that you believe Thailand's police have ANY legitimacy? In that case, I will pat you on the back and send you on your way. Good luck, sir! Happy times! No worries, no error.

Whiners and old farts, why _in the first place_ are you living here in SE Asia? Didn't you have any other opportunities? ROFL

Cheap food and beautiful women. Why else would we be here?? To be mugged by yaba addicts ?? I admire the defensive stance of the Chinese government, with the goal of defending their citizens. I wish the other western countries would do the same.....

• Like 1

^^^^ ..plus a touch of Thai anxiety in the need to repair the lawless reputation the North as demonstrated in the handling of the slain Chinese boatmen last year on the Mekong, amplified by the fact that China's tourism to Thailand in the future will be of far greater import than the Farang numbers ever have been.

correct .....asians r getting wealthier and travelling china now has more billionaires than the usa and the uk combined more maseratis and feraris sold in china than the rest of the world combined .....

^^^^ ..plus a touch of Thai anxiety in the need to repair the lawless reputation the North as demonstrated in the handling of the slain Chinese boatmen last year on the Mekong, amplified by the fact that China's tourism to Thailand in the future will be of far greater import than the Farang numbers ever have been.

correct .....asians r getting wealthier and travelling china now has more billionaires than the usa and the uk combined more maseratis and feraris sold in china than the rest of the world combined .....

Where did you get your numbers?

Anyway, yes some Asians are becoming much wealthier.

http://en.wikipedia....ar_billionaires

Edited by ThailandMan

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

You could be talking about the troubles in any Western country currently, Thailand is no different in having the same.

Bullshit mate..... Go to 99.9% of cities in Australia ( i cannot speak about other countries ) and you won't be scammed, beaten over the head with club,stabbed, murdered or thrown out of a condo window... never ceases to amaze me the utter crap that comes out of some peoples mouths....

I have lived in Thailand for years and YES the situation with regard to violence is getting worse, but on a positive not many many things have improved also, I do not know that answer to Thailand's issue and I will not pretend to know the fixes but I do know that comparing Thailand to West is totally a moot point!!

BRITAIN, AUSTRALIA TOP U.S.IN VIOLENT CRIME

http://www.wnd.com/2001/03/8340/

... Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

And by the way, Thailand and Australia are not that statistically different when it comes to robberies per capita and Australia far outpaces Thailand with burglaries, rapes and assaults per capita. In fact Australia rates #1 in the world for Burglaries and Assaults.

Australia is a Southeast Asia country. How can you confuse that with Europe or any other areas?

What you are doing her is just proving the dangers that go with South East Asia.

You could be talking about the troubles in any Western country currently, Thailand is no different in having the same.

Bullshit mate..... Go to 99.9% of cities in Australia ( i cannot speak about other countries ) and you won't be scammed, beaten over the head with club,stabbed, murdered or thrown out of a condo window... never ceases to amaze me the utter crap that comes out of some peoples mouths....

I have lived in Thailand for years and YES the situation with regard to violence is getting worse, but on a positive not many many things have improved also, I do not know that answer to Thailand's issue and I will not pretend to know the fixes but I do know that comparing Thailand to West is totally a moot point!!

... Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

And by the way, Thailand and Australia are not that statistically different when it comes to robberies per capita and Australia far outpaces Thailand with burglaries, rapes and assaults per capita. In fact Australia rates #1 in the world for Burglaries and Assaults.

Australia is a Southeast Asia country. How can you confuse that with Europe or any other areas?

What you are doing her is just proving the dangers that go with South East Asia.

You may want to recheck your facts because Australia is not a Southeast Asia country. Although one can debate if in some scenarios it is or should be part of Asia, it is certainly not considered SE Asia and it is its own continent ... just as Asia and Europe are.

Correct, Australia is not part of continental Asia, a few years ago Australia was accepted as part of Asia, Australia is a dialogue partner with ASEAN.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

What do you mean accepted as a part of Asia? Asia is a continent plain and simple... there is no other definition for Asia. Are you saying that the Asian continent annexed the Australian Continent.

A dialogue partner (or any other partner) is not a member nor does a trade group define what continent a country belongs. Regardless of what football league, business or trade groups Australia belongs or is partners with, it is by definition not part of Asia or SE Asia. Because the Australian continent is close to the Asia continent and are involved heavily in trading the regions together are called Asian-Pacific or APAC.

I certainly don't want to get into an off topic discussion but was simply trying to correct somebody who replied to me. There isn't really much room for debate here as Asia by definition is a continent and Australia by definition is a continent (and country).

Although there is no other definition for Asia, beyond the continent, there is also the word Asian which can confuse people as Australia is part of some Asian based groups but it certainly doesn't make it part of Asia ... same as being on American Band Stand doesn't make you an American.

Edited by Nisa

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

You living in lah lah land, That quoted survey was on all crime, violent crime was only 1.4% of the population also it only covered industralised nations therefore Thailand wasnt includedI. In western countries almost all violent crimes are reported and the criminal are caught. Crimes against tourists are a definite no no. As evident in this news item not all crimes against tourist in Thailand are reported, or if they are they are not investigated. In this news item this was the criminals 20th victim at the same site before he was caught and it was only investigated because the Chinese consular put a travel warning out. Dont confuse reported crimes with actual incidents of crime or violent crimes with non-violent crimes.

Edited by waza

Keep in mind too that there is nothing in this story to indicate the 20 attacks occurred to foreign tourists. In fact it is probably unlikely they were targeting "foreign" tourists based on this story as this was a Chinese women which would be difficult enough to tell from a motorbike but since there are plenty of Thai-Chinese ....

Edited by Nisa

You living in lah lah land, That quoted survey was on all crime, violent crime was only 1.4% of the population also it only covered industralised nations therefore Thailand wasnt includedI. In western countries almost all violent crimes are reported and the criminal are caught. Crimes against tourists are a definite no no. As evident in this news item not all crimes against tourist in Thailand are reported, or if they are they are not investigated. In this news item this was the criminals 20th victim at the same site before he was caught and it was only investigated because the Chinese consular put a travel warning out. Dont confuse reported crimes with actual incidents of crime or violent crimes with non-violent crimes.

No, it was not about all crime it was about "violent crime" and there are numerous other stats to confirm this.

As for the reporting of violent crimes, there is not enough unreported violent crimes in Thailand to make a difference that some western countries have the same or a much more violent society. Violent crimes often result in a hospital visit and like those injured in car accidents, they are reported to the police. Investigating a crime has no bearing on if a crime is recorded and all over the world crimes go unreported. And it is your own opinion that the only reason this was investigated is because of the Chinese consular and in fact this opinion goes against the facts and logic. Thailand is among the top countries when it comes to incarceration rate (percentage of citizens behind bars) .. this is because the police do investigate and make arrests for crimes. There are bad and violent people in every country but overall Thailand has a culture of being non aggressive as it is a Buddhist country. This is not to say they are immune to gang problems or drug addicts and robbers ... making them similar to much of the west.

Tourists getting ripped off and robbed is common in almost any big tourist area in the world but the difference is that many people choose to look at every story they read here as being the norm unlike stories you read in other parts of the world. And in other parts of the world you generally are not reading news from sources that cater to stories expats will be interested. In other parts of the world, such as the US, there is really no need or reason to hype up tourist crimes and the fact it is a tourist is not usually relevant to the news story.

By the way, given the severity of this unfortunate women's wounds ... I doubt "she" was either the one who reported the crime or contacted her embassy about it.

Edited by Nisa

Correct, Australia is not part of continental Asia, a few years ago Australia was accepted as part of Asia, Australia is a dialogue partner with ASEAN.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

What do you mean accepted as a part of Asia? Asia is a continent plain and simple... there is no other definition for Asia. Are you saying that the Asian continent annexed the Australian Continent.

A dialogue partner (or any other partner) is not a member nor does a trade group define what continent a country belongs. Regardless of what football league, business or trade groups Australia belongs or is partners with, it is by definition not part of Asia or SE Asia. Because the Australian continent is close to the Asia continent and are involved heavily in trading the regions together are called Asian-Pacific or APAC.

I certainly don't want to get into an off topic discussion but was simply trying to correct somebody who replied to me. There isn't really much room for debate here as Asia by definition is a continent and Australia by definition is a continent (and country).

Although there is no other definition for Asia, beyond the continent, there is also the word Asian which can confuse people as Australia is part of some Asian based groups but it certainly doesn't make it part of Asia ... same as being on American Band Stand doesn't make you an American.

+1

i was about to unleash my keyboarding warrior skills on some replies until i read your hilarious post that crack me up LMAO