Food Manufacturing Regulations

oldsailor35

I have just recently recieved an email from Australia warning all consumers not to buy any food product from the following countries because they have NO health regulations over food for export preparation.

1) CHINA including HONG KONG

2) VIETNAM.

3) THAILAND.

I was always under the impression that Thailand do have food prep regulations within their export industry, and do have food inspectors ?

Can anybody confirm that this is correct, and this includes chemicals in rice, and coconut milk.

This is utter rubbish. I have both worked in and been in many factories here. Thailand maintains world standard ISO quality control practices in most of it's larger factories which would produce 90% of foods of high volume. They also have well developed compliance in GMP and HACCP which are again world wide food quality standards which are strictly monitored by independent agencies. I do not speak for the other three countries.

At the same time you will get smaller poorer run establishments, but from what I have seen these do not last very long, and most of them deliver locally and get closed down pretty quick! I have eaten in this country all types of products for 20 years and can still count on one hand the times I have had a bad reaction to food. This would be on a par with any western country.

I would question the source of the E-mail. As has been posted the large factories that produce food for export are all well versed in quality control. I would suspect that the source may have been pushing for Australian Supervision of the factories or just promoting Australian produced products.

I would question the source of the E-mail. As has been posted the large factories that produce food for export are all well versed in quality control. I would suspect that the source may have been pushing for Australian Supervision of the factories or just promoting Australian produced products.

Agree. Who sent the Email?

I have worked for a medium sized canned meat producer in Bangkok and have seen bad practice, faked documentation and heard the continual lies from the board. So, there are probably some truths in this information. I am sure there are good producers out there too, but this company claimed to be GMP and HACCP yet blatantly disregarded the guidelines and had faked their accreditations.

No, I am not interested in providing further information for obvious reasons.