Renting a house

razor

i am thinking of looking for a house to rent ( 2/3 bed detached ) in the Khorat area, may be on the out skirts , does any one know how much the going rate for renting a house long term in this area would be ( approx ) and does any one already live in this area, if so any comments about living /life in this area would be most welcome .

This was about three years ago, so take it with a grain of salt: I looked at the outside of a house for rent in Khoraat, and was told by neighbors it would go for 4,000 baht/month.  Looked OK.  Sorry, can't verify this figure, or describe the interior.  

Watch out for flooding!  Ask neighbors leading questions, such as, "When this neighborhood floods, how high does the water get?" rather than, "Does it flood here?"

Also of real concern: burglary.  You have to go over your house carefully to find all the weak spots, because you can be darn sure the Bad Guys will go over it just as carefully, as soon as they learn you have moved in (with your TV, computer, stereo, etc).  Don't overlook the roof as a point of entry for burglars.  Budget for repairs before you rent.  Get a dog?  Probably useless against burglars, because how many times do you hear dogs barking like crazy late at night, and nobody goes out with a shotgun to see what the fuss is all about?  (Having lived in the country, I can say it's rare that anyone pays any attention to a barking dog, except to shut him up because he's annoying.  I can also say that the most amazing security overkill I ever saw was the heavy chains, huge multiple locks and the heavy plank that barred the door of the farmhouse I lived in, out the other side of the black stump.  The house was a fortress, and I always wondered why, as they had little of value.  My guess: rural Thais are often victims of burglars, or think they soon will be if they don't really button up tight.  They may know something you need to take into consideration!)  

I learned that there is no real estate agency or any similar outfit in Khoraat....that may have changed since I was last there, I hope.  I don't know about classified ads in the local papers, but you can find out if you have a Thai companion to help you.  Go into neighborhoods you like, and just ask people you see on the street: "Houses for rent here?"  It's often best if the Thai asks, while the farang stays out of sight; the rent may go up if they know from the first that a farang is paying.  Get the quote, and only then show your face to inspect the house yourself.  Your Thai helper must, therefore, be well coached to know what sort of place you are looking for.

My impression was that folks are friendlier and more helpful outside Bangkok, so don't be shy.  Chat them up, present yourself as a good potential addition to the neighborhood, and make a new friend or two before you move in.  They'll help you unload the truck....

Having lived in the country, I can say it's rare that anyone pays any attention to a barking dog, except to shut him up because he's annoying
In general would agree with most of your post but above is not my experience.  Dogs are very effective against casual burglars and everyone knows the bark of their own dog and when his barking indicates close contact they do check.  And few Thai will take the chance if they can find another target without a dog guarding it.