A Wild Goose Chase

Deserted

wild-goose chase

• [iDM] ไม่มีประโยชน์ในการตามล่า ติดตาม
  • [N] การค้นหาสิ่งไม่มีตัวตน; การค้นหาสิ่งที่ไม่อาจพบได้
    (NECTEC Lexitron 2 EN-TH)

A friend claims that เสียแรงเปล่า will work. After some discussion he was able to use it idiomatically so that's the best I can do.

It translated directly as sia -waste raeng -energy, and plao-empty, and can be used for tasks and actions. So something pointless, such as a wild goose chase, could be described with the above expression in Thai. Just thought I'd share my findings, feel free to comment if you can go one better.

A friend claims that เสียแรงเปล่า will work. After some discussion he was able to use it idiomatically so that's the best I can do.

It translated directly as sia -waste raeng -energy, and plao-empty, and can be used for tasks and actions. So something pointless, such as a wild goose chase, could be described with the above expression in Thai. Just thought I'd share my findings, feel free to comment if you can go one better.

The best I can come up with to describe something pointless or a waste of time is,

สอนจระเข้ว่ายน้ำ, son torake wai nam

Teach a crocodile how to swim

Or,

สีซอให้ควายฟัง see sor hai kwai fang

To play a violin for a buffalo, too be honest this translates more as to cast pearls before swine rather than a wasted effort.

Or

เอามะพร้าวห้าวไปขายสวน

To take coals to Newcastle.