Education Minister Proposes Hiring Backpackers To Teach English In Government Schools!

Caliguy

Agencies in this country are doing this already for many years. But the results are more than questionable. More and more schools get rid of agencies now. Just the fact that somebody comes from an English speaking country doesn't mean that this person can teach Thai kids.

It always comes down to experience, some psychological knowledge, understanding their culture, knowing if they understand your speech and being in not just for the money. jap.gif

I think they should make a distinction between teachers and tutors. Backpackers are transient and therefore - with some exceptions of course - may not make the best teachers. But students often need occasional, short term help from tutors, and backpackers could be a good fit. I do this often when I go to Vietnam for vacation. The kids there are grateful to hear a native speaker who isn't their teacher, plus they get to have some unstructured conversational interaction for a few hours each day and I get my hands on a few dong (oops, that sounds naughty) without the hassle of all that work permit/visa/interview/hiring red tape.

In this country they need to make the distinction between a conversational English teacher and a subject teacher....

but they don't that's why many including myself are jumping through hoops to pass this ridiculous professional teachers licence test because we haven't got an education degree.. (the test and implementation is far from professional)...

Funny enough if you work in a university you don't need an education degree... strange.

• Like 1

There is already a scheme where Working Holiday visas can be gained for people of certain ages and nationalities. Thailand seems to think it can agree to this..send people to other countries but not issue them for here. Maybe this would be ideal if they are proper jobs for the 6 months the young person is allowed to work.