PM Yingluck Wants Computer Tablets Given Out By March

webfact

PM wants tablets given out by March

SAOWANEE NIMPANPAYUNGWONG

WANNAPA KHAOPA

THE NATION

30175804-01_big.jpg

The Cabinet yesterday set up a committee to expedite the handout of computer tablets to students.

BANGKOK: -- "Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra hopes to see the tablets reach the hands of students before the next semester begins. She wants to see they receive the device in March," PM's deputy secretary-general Thitima Chaisang said in her capacity as acting government spokesperson.

The One Tablet PC Per Child policy was a highlight of the Pheu Thai Party's election campaign. Since becoming the ruling party, Pheu Thai has seriously pushed ahead with the project despite words of caution from many sides.

Critics have said the modern devices, without proper content or software, would not be effective in boosting the students' learning process.

Thitima said the committee established to expedite the tablet handout had Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej as its chairman. Deputy chairmen, she said, were Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Minister Gp Capt Anudith Nakornthap.

"The committee will present the tablet-procurement format to the Cabinet on February 22," Thitima said. The Cabinet will convene a mobile meeting in Udon Thani on February 21 and 22.

In a separate interview, Suchart said about 850,000 tablets would be given to Prathom 1 students and he now expected all schools to have Wi-Fi services to facilitate use of the devices.

The ICT Ministry, he said, has begun installing the Wi-Fi services at schools.

"But if it does not act fast enough, the Education Ministry may use its own budget to ensure the full coverage of Wi-Fi services for schools," Suchart said.

He said students would be allowed to take the devices home.

Ammar Siamwalla, a respected academic at the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), said he would not criticise the procurement method or the budget for the tablets given that the government had already decided to acquire and hand out the tablets.

"But I would like to emphasise that the government must download quality educational software into the devices," Ammar said.

He said the tablets would not be of much use if the Education Ministry merely put online textbooks on them.

"The authorities must develop proper interactive educational programmes for the tablets so that children fully benefit from them," Ammar said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-14

You are going to young children possibly having a semi-expensive gadget in their bag going to and from school. What a target they are going to be for the older kids. There is going to be a lot of them for sale in the markets as soon as April.

Post election "toys R Us" - promised to school children. Whats the deal? Education?? Free Tablets with monthly insurance payment packages. I really do not see the relevance. Some company is going to have a deal to import these tablets into the country... Is there an article on the purpose of implementing this means in education? I would like if someone could give me a link to read the policy on this.

given out by March
&
receive the device in March

don't these contradict each other...former is not later than; before while later is during; in the period of

Wasn't there a news report only a few days ago where they said that they would only receive the first testing samples in 2 months. Edited by janverbeem

Totally crazy. I teach at a government school and it is next to impossible to get the students to stop using their phones I can't imagine what will happen with unrestricted use of tablets in the schools.

If they implement it correctly and make the devices capable of reading text books only and answering quizzes it could work but that needs some thought and preparation. It is not something you can rush through.

• Like 1

Are those tablets really going to solve Thailand's society's problems,.... I doubt that.

They will! The "units' will educate them without hitting them. China made good money, some Thais as well. And Thai kids will continue to learn in a way that they'll be "World Class Citizen" without knowing that there are also other countries beside Thailand. Tablets will also tell them when they do something wrong, how to make "Wais", fake smiles and more......jap.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Tablets !!

Indeed a subtle indoctrination tool in time with the age.

Perhaps the speeding up of the distribution is actually to ensure the. ' commission payments'' are paid quickly as possibly those who were invited to support this election ploy may now be seeing that their investment is a little shaky..