Retirement Visa

Hi all, I am British, have been here in Thailand on a Retirement Visa for 5 years, legally married to a Thai and we have 2 children together.

My Retirement Visa is due for renewal in March and as of yet due to unforseen circumstances I have not enough funds in my account, I use my pension as part of the funds so do not need the money in 3 mths before. I am now contemplating returning to the U.K. hopefuly taking my wife and 2 children with me, however I do need to stay here a few months longer so what are my options. If I do a border run before my Retirement Visa expires will I get a 90 day stamp or not. I have not been out of Thailand since 2006, will that make a difference.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can get an extension of stay for 60 days by showing up at immigration with your wife and proof of marriage, wife's ID card and household registration.

A 1 year extension would be posible if you can show either an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank. Than you would qualify for an extension of stay based on having a Thai wife.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

A border run will only get you 15 days by land.

30 days by air.

If you need more than 60 days you can easily obtain a new non immigrant O visa for 90 days and if needed a multi entry for one year of 90 day stays from a Consulate. Specific conditions would need to be met so if this is your decision advise and we can provide best choice options.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I do not want to go down the marriage route as It looks unlikely at the moment that I will have the funds even for that.

I understand I need a re-entry permit in my passport before I leave Thailand, but I was under the impression I would get a 90 day stamp when I re-entered Thailand because the original visa is basically a Non Immigrant O ..............or may be I am wrong.

A visit to the Immigration office seems like a good option at the moment.

Thanks so far

You will not get a new 90 days when you leave with a re-entry permit. You only keep your current permisison to stay.

Your income from abroad is determined by your embassy, and they can include intrest on bank accounts, income from renting out a house and such.

For the 60 day extension visit immigraiton with your wife, marriage certificate, ID-card and household registration book. Best to call the office a few days in advance to see which docuemtns they need.

You could get a multiple non-O in Savanakhet Laos, requiring you to leave the country every 90 days. Would be good for up to 15 months, with exiting every 90 days).

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I do not want to go down the marriage route as It looks unlikely at the moment that I will have the funds even for that.

I understand I need a re-entry permit in my passport before I leave Thailand, but I was under the impression I would get a 90 day stamp when I re-entered Thailand because the original visa is basically a Non Immigrant O ..............or may be I am wrong.

A visit to the Immigration office seems like a good option at the moment.

Thanks so far

Your original visa is long since expired and is no longer valid - you have been extending the last border entry permission stamp you got with that visa.

If you use a re-entry permit then you would just be stamped in to your current permitted to stay date in March - so that doesn't help.

Your best bet is the 60 day 'Visting Wife' extension (can only be done one time without a new border entry) or get a new non immigrant 'O' visa in a neighbouring country, if 60 days is not enough.

Edited by digitalchromakey

For Savannakhet your marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and home register would be required for the multi entry non immigrant O visa. I would also take letter from her asking for visa to be issued as proof relationship is ongoing and she should sign and date the copies. Same information plus proof of a bank account balance of 100,000 baht (or that amount in foreign) would get in Kuala Lumpur. Other Consulates might require normal 400k or not issue anything but single entry.

Hi 007

i was in the same boat as you, i went to immigration at Sri-racha, with my Thai wife and copies of passport, wife id,house book, photos, and obtained a 60 day extension, which started when my current permission to stay expired, which would in your case take you to May. I had looked at doing a run to Savannakhet, which involves an overnight stay.

If thats the route you are taking send me a pm, as i did some research on bus times,from rayong,/ban chang/pattaya and places to stay etc, which you may find helpful.

all the best

See post number 10

No need to show any money, just pay the fee of about 5,000 baht.

The visa will be valid for 1 year. During that year you can travel as many times to Thailand as you want, each time you enter Thailand before the visa exires you can stay for up to 90 days. So, by leaving and re-entering just before the visa expires, you can get an additional 90 days and so almost 15 months out of it.

Some reports about getting a visa there here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533310-marriage-visa-from-thai-consulate-in-savannakhet/page__view__findpost__p__5052543

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530562-non-immigrant-o-visa-savvanakhet-laos/page__view__findpost__p__5024282