Too Much For This Bike?

angryfarang

Hi There,

I'm after some advice. My friend is selling a 2005 Honda CB400 V-TEC III. It's in mint condition and comes with legit green book. He wants 220k for it.

Obviously this isn't cheap and it's definitely not a bargain. However this bike is in amazing condition and it's great to drive. I've driven plenty of bikes in the past and I have to say I love this bike.

I'm really tempted to buy it, but I'm not sure if this is a bit too much for this bike.

Regards.

It's not that. I have no idea what a 2005 CB400 goes for in Thailand with a green-book. Obviously it's over-priced in comparison to buying the same bike in the USA or UK.

I just got an e-mail back from Teera Motorcycles in Bangkok with regards to their CB400's:

220000 for 2007 vtec 3 plus 80,000 for Bangkok Greenbook

270000 for 2010 vtec 4 plus 80,000 for Bangkok Greenbook

I guess if I compare the price my friend wants to Teera, then it is good value.

It's not that. I have no idea what a 2005 CB400 goes for in Thailand with a green-book. Obviously it's over-priced in comparison to buying the same bike in the USA or UK.

I just got an e-mail back from Teera Motorcycles in Bangkok with regards to their CB400's:

220000 for 2007 vtec 3 plus 80,000 for Bangkok Greenbook

270000 for 2010 vtec 4 plus 80,000 for Bangkok Greenbook

I guess if I compare the price my friend wants to Teera, then it is good value.

Yeah, but Teera is incredibly overpriced and... well... good luck if you choose to do business with them!

Overpriced. Someone was selling a Yamaha FZ1 with greenbook for that price not too long ago, that was a very good price admittedly but puts it into perspective what you can get for the same price if you look around. I would rather get an ER-6n for that money, or the Fazer if it's still for sale!

Search through old adds on thaivisa and bahtsold. I don't see many CB400's about. They're pretty rare.

They're very common and generally pretty cheap- ThaiVisa and BahtSold serve the tiny english speaking foreign community in Thailand. There are 10 pages of CB400's for sale on mocyc.com smile.png

Edited by BigBikeBKK

How safe is it to buy on mocyc? At least with my friends bike I know the greenbook is legit.

Should not be to hard to go with the seller to the land transport department and check it out. Sounds like you are selling the bike and advertising it here.

Bit steep IMO. If you really like it then offer him 200k, 20k is a fair drop from the asking price and that way you won't lose too much on resale - although it still won't be easy to sell for 200k with one year old Kawi 650's around at the same price.

your idea of a bargain and mine are very differnt :)

i looked at one of these in mint condition no so long ago ,also around 2004 model in mint condition with green book and i walked away from it because it was overpriced

it was 170,000 (its still available at 160k AFAIK )

for 220,000 you could get a versys from last year with some upgrades thrown in

serious money to drop on an old cb400 and i love cb400s.....

Too much for that bike . I just looked at a 2007 400 v-tech 3 8000 km. The Thai bought for 190,000 in Bang Saray. All it needed is new tires. The bike fits me like a glove He let me sit on it to see if my height is right so I don't need to modify & it is no higher than the neuvo I have now. Some of these sellers have done too much dummy dust & the greed has gone to their brain keep on searching. Bike should be 155-165,000 in great condition & low miles with a book or 100-120,000 without a book. I would give it a miss keep looking & someone will have the right bike for you.

I only wish I could purchace the sweet ride I looked at today.The 190,000 was a fair price & his brother got it in Chonburi.

They're pretty rare.

The CB400 is probably the most common big bike in Thailand. There are hundreds of them around all over the country and many are not legit as they were imported before they started getting stricter on grey imports.

Edited by madjbs

I used to own an ER-6N. It was fun, but I prefer the in-line four more.

Have you ridden a CB400? I really can't see how they are much better than an Er6n in terms of performance.

I've owned a couple of CB400's. I'm not saying they are better in performance, I just prefer the inline-four engine to the twin. Too me it's more refined and I love the sound of an inline-four. IMO it's what a proper sport bike should sound like.

Have you ridden a CB400? I really can't see how they are much better than an Er6n in terms of performance.

I've owned a couple of CB400's. I'm not saying they are better in performance, I just prefer the inline-four engine to the twin. Too me it's more refined and I love the sound of an inline-four. IMO it's what a proper sport bike should sound like.

Then buy it yourself .. unless your the owner and trying to sell it here and generating some interests here. Too bad for you that it failed.

I actually agree with you about an inline 4 sounding a whole lot better than a twin, but 220k Baht for a 7 year old CB400 is a bit of a piss take IMO. You can find a nice year old ER6, still under warranty and with plenty of extras for that price.

heres a yellow one asking 80k , bring a thai friend to haggle ,you could probably get it 60-70

http://mocyc.com/sto...assified=651417

No plate though...

dr bike has/ had 2 in front of shop

a lovely blue one a while ago which was around 160k with books ,dont know if its sold yet

he has a silver one on his site now

http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/store/product/view/Honda_CB400SF_%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5_03_%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2....-21130135-th.html

Kawasaki 650

Good performance? Yes.

Good looks? Yes.

Good price? Yes.

Good value? Yes.

Good sound? Sorry, I just can't get over the sound. I would get a cb400 over the 650 if I had a choice. Sorry.

The price of the cb400 quoted here is too high.

yes ,a twin will never have the cool sound of superfour but you can stick on an akrapovic or a yoshimura and it wil have a decent rumble

take out the baffles if you feeling brave or like getting stopped at police checkpoints :)

Thanks for all the replies. Now I've had a night to get over my excitement of buying the bike and calm down a bit, you're all right, it is too much for the bike. I will offer 180k for it and walk away.

I had an arrow on my er-6n and it did make the bike sound nicer, but it's no comparison to an inline-four.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I've had a night to get over my excitement of buying the bike and calm down a bit, you're all right, it is too much for the bike. I will offer 180k for it and walk away.

I had an arrow on my er-6n and it did make the bike sound nicer, but it's no comparison to an inline-four.

If you get it for 180K then that's about right, any more and too much. I agree completely about the inline-four, I previously had a Versys with a Leo Vince and a Ninja 650 with an Arrow and neither sounded anywhere near as nice as the XJR1300 I now have. People always say the Kawasaki are great value as made in LOS, which they are, but my 10yr old Made in Japan XJR is nicer to ride than both of them and everything feels much better quality. Did I mention the awesome sound?

Yeah but we are talking about superfours, when you get into bigger bikes it's a whole different kettle of fish as much fewer are available here. I like superfours as well, but, is a 7 year old grey import bike worth the same as a pretty much brand new Thai 650...I don't think so. I personally wouldn't accept that difference just for a better sound either. I guess if you really didn't like the Thai 650s and you found a really nice fairly new superfour for under 180,000 then it would be a better deal.

Edited by madjbs

Yeah but we are talking about superfours, when you get into bigger bikes it's a whole different kettle of fish as much fewer are available here. I like superfours as well, but, is a 7 year old grey import bike worth the same as a pretty much brand new Thai 650...I don't think so. I personally wouldn't accept that difference just for a better sound either. I guess if you really didn't like the Thai 650s and you found a really nice fairly new superfour for under 180,000 then it would be a better deal.

180 k gets you a really nice Ninja650, sure lack the 4 pot sound, but is 2 yo, 100% legal and spareparts available all over the country next day at the latest and cheap as chips parts