Salt Water Pool

Sticky,

There is a few pool shops on the island, you will need to purchase a Salt Water Chlorinator. These vary in price, depending on make .I bought mine a few years ago, a Canadian unit,with multi function, I got stung for 50K. Remember they are imported & classified as luxury item.

I will move this topic to pool section, but leave a link on here.

Sticky,

There is a few pool shops on the island, you will need to purchase a Salt Water Chlorinator. These vary in price, depending on make .I bought mine a few years ago, a Canadian unit,with multi function, I got stung for 50K. Remember they are imported & classified as luxury item.

I will move this topic to pool section, but leave a link on here.

Size of pool is also a factor. That price is about right as quoted to some of my customers (35,000 to 55,000 baht).

A popular pool shop for chlorinators is TSP Pools in Maenam, BUT after-service is almost non-existant - unless you buy something expensive.

Not all pool suppliers on Samui sell salt.

I have imported a Zodiac Tri Ph large from Australia for around 45000 Baht.This should cover a 50 to 85 Q pool in tropical climate.On the Eastern board they are sold for double the price in the pool shops.Zodiac are considered to be the best.

On Chlorinators imported from Australia there is technically no import duty,and that is also the amount I paid,imported through Fedex.However they tried but at the end they gave up.

For salt you can contact TRS,trhe biggest salt refiner from Thailand,and ask the number of their representative for your region.They have all kinds of salt including pool salt.Most pool shops will sell you ordinary refined salt which could (??) damage the chlorinator sell over time.

http://www.trs.co.th/index.php?name=product&id=6&catid=9

I have a chlotinator-equipped pool. I can't see what the fuss is about with the chlorination (salt water) approach. It's easier to throw a bit of chlorine in twice a week than lump heavy bags of salt around IMO (compressed slow-release chlorine discs if you don't like handling raw chemicals). The pool feels/smells no different with either system. Look around on TV threads - you will find others who would go further and accuse the pool industry of a marketing con-job.

Maybe I should sell you my Astral Pool (Australian) kit!

I have a chlotinator-equipped pool. I can't see what the fuss is about with the chlorination (salt water) approach. It's easier to throw a bit of chlorine in twice a week than lump heavy bags of salt around IMO (compressed slow-release chlorine discs if you don't like handling raw chemicals). The pool feels/smells no different with either system. Look around on TV threads - you will find others who would go further and accuse the pool industry of a marketing con-job.

In a salt water pool you don't slump around with heavy bags of salt.Salt doesn't evaporate so you will only have to add salt if you lose water.

Also no need to check your chlorine level 2-3 times a week since once you have set the chlorinator to the correct settings you chlorine level will be stable 24/7.Something what not can be said from a chlorine pool.

My chlorinator also keeps the Ph level to exact the setting I prefer,so all I do is vacuum the pool.

So if you needs to add salt on a frequent base that means you are losing water.

Janver

I would like to add a few minor points to your post please.

1. you will have to add salt to the pool if you lose water to anything other than evaporation as only the water (without salt) will evaporate. ie the rainy season will add lots of free water to your pool probably forcing you to drain water from the pool. In this case you will also need to top up your salt.

2. chlorine levels will remain stable as long as you remember to add cyanauric acid to the pool water to protect the chlorine from being neutralized by the sun.

Now for a question. How does your chlorinator control your ph? I usually have to add a little acid to my pool from time to time to control the ph especially after adding water from the loacl water supply.

Janver

I would like to add a few minor points to your post please.

1. you will have to add salt to the pool if you lose water to anything other than evaporation as only the water (without salt) will evaporate. ie the rainy season will add lots of free water to your pool probably forcing you to drain water from the pool. In this case you will also need to top up your salt.

2. chlorine levels will remain stable as long as you remember to add cyanauric acid to the pool water to protect the chlorine from being neutralized by the sun.

Now for a question. How does your chlorinator control your ph? I usually have to add a little acid to my pool from time to time to control the ph especially after adding water from the loacl water supply.

My Chlorinator is connected to a hydrochloric acid container.In the chlorinator I can set the preferred Ph level and the chlorinator will check the level continiously,if the Ph is too high the chlorinator will add the required acid to bring it back to the level I have entered.

As for the cyanuric acid,you can use the pool salt I recommended in another post as it contains stabilizer.Cyanuric acid also doesn't evaporate.

Jan

I wish I had known about that kind of chlorinator when we built our pool 6 years ago. It's not that difficult to maintain the ph manually but an auto system would have made life that much easier.

I've seen the pool salt at one dealer here in Udon Thani but couldn't understand why it was much more expensive than the regular salt. Now I know.

Can you please explain why adding regular salt (non-iodized) to the water could damage the chlorinator cell?

Jan

I wish I had known about that kind of chlorinator when we built our pool 6 years ago. It's not that difficult to maintain the ph manually but an auto system would have made life that much easier.

I've seen the pool salt at one dealer here in Udon Thani but couldn't understand why it was much more expensive than the regular salt. Now I know.

Can you please explain why adding regular salt (non-iodized) to the water could damage the chlorinator cell?

First of all,pool salt isn't more expensive as I pay 125 baht for a 25 Kg bag.I think the regular salt cost 10-15 baht more.

Damaging is maybe a bit strong worded,but pool salt doesn't contain any additives which can stain on the chlorinator cell because if your chlorinator cell is stained it will have to work harder to generate the same amount of chlorine which in return will shorten the life of the cell.

Edited by janverbeem

I'll have to check the price for pool salt again. I'm paying 120THB for 25kg regular non-iodized TRS salt 2.6% moisture content.

So next time order the pool salt,it will cost you probably 5 Baht more.Call the TRS headoffice and ask who their representative is in your area,they will be happy to give you his number.

Does any one know where we can buy TRS Pool Salt in Hua Hin or surrounding area?

We have tried many of the pool shops in HH and they all say they are unable to get it!

There must be someone in the area that sells it!

We would require about 12 bags.

Thanks for your help.

Vistana

Thanks for the info but we have tried contacting TRS directly and they gave us a pool supplier in HH who they sell the pool salt too but when we called the shop they said they only have the refined salt and will not be ordering any more until the 6 tons they have in stock is nearly all gone! not a lot of use to us!!!

So if any one knows where we can buy this pool salt in the local HH or Cha am area please let us know.

Thanks again.

In a salt water pool you don't slump around with heavy bags of salt.Salt doesn't evaporate so you will only have to add salt if you lose water.

Also no need to check your chlorine level 2-3 times a week since once you have set the chlorinator to the correct settings you chlorine level will be stable 24/7.Something what not can be said from a chlorine pool.

My chlorinator also keeps the Ph level to exact the setting I prefer,so all I do is vacuum the pool.

So if you needs to add salt on a frequent base that means you are losing water.

Surely if the water evaporates and the salt doesn't then the chlorine content (concentration) of the pool increases and you would not have to add any more salt, only water top up to restore the balance?

• 3 weeks later...

Jan

First of all,pool salt isn't more expensive as I pay 125 baht for a 25 Kg bag.I think the regular salt cost 10-15 baht more.

Damaging is maybe a bit strong worded,but pool salt doesn't contain any additives which can stain on the chlorinator cell because if your chlorinator cell is stained it will have to work harder to generate the same amount of chlorine which in return will shorten the life of the cell.

If you can get Pool salt from TRS (the one with the appropraite additives in it) for 125 baht a kilo, Janverbeem, maybe you should get your other half to start a business. Most pool shops I've come accross sell it for about 180 baht and one in Bangkok sells it for 250 baht last time I looked!

If the OP can't get it in HH he will probably have to take a pick-up (My Fortuner started to groan at 15 bags plus small family) to Pattaya (the shop on Thepparasit road did it at 180 baht I seem to remember when I was there in November). He might be able to get a direct shipment himself from TRS if he can drum up other users in the area.

I would avoid that HH pool shop, OP, if they took delivery of 6 tons of the wrong salt!

Edited by SantiSuk