Marriage

Am I the only one that finds normal posters acting like mods annoying?

To the OP, I am a little confused. How can a Thai citizen get a UK passport just by getting married. I would think that she would have to live in the UK for a number of years.

To your question. Once you are married you can register your marriage through the consulate once you get the license translated.

• Like 2

if an englishman marries a thai lady in thailand, and she gets a british passport in the surname of her new husband, is the marriage recognised by the uk authorities?

Interesting post. I am legally married to a Thai national (Thai certificate) and have made contact with the British Embasy in Bangkok to acknowlegde the marriage. About all the replies I have received have said that Ok send your original Thai marriage certificate to us and we will keep the certificate. That's it, nothing else offered. No help with pension issues etc. If anyone else has a more positive experience then I welcome your response.

'if an englishman marries a thai lady in thailand, and she gets a british passport in the surname of her new husband, is the marriage recognised by the uk authorities?'

Hello, doppa. Tell us, if you don't mind, how in your example she would get the passport in the surname of her new husband, if not based on the recognition of the marriage by the UK authorities.

The marriage is recognised but not registered in the UK, you have to do that yourself, which is quite easy and as alfie says it can be done even on a Thai passport. It's not compulsary to have your marriage registered in UK.

In order to obtain a British Passport, doesn't she still have to meet the requirements of UK immigration and become a British citizen?

The marriage is recognised but not registered in the UK, you have to do that yourself, which is quite easy and as alfie says it can be done even on a Thai passport. It's not compulsary to have your marriage registered in UK.

In order to obtain a British Passport, doesn't she still have to meet the requirements of UK immigration and become a British citizen?

Yes, l signed paperwork for my chums (soon to be divorced) wife to get a UK passport

Maybe i am being too simple minded, but i thought that a couple must get the marriage registered in thailand, first.... before you can get any other governments to recognize and/or grant citizenship.

My marriage to my thai wife, in thailand, was not registered here.... so when i got her to USA in order to be married, we had to do a registered marriage in USA... OTOH.. 2 friends of mine were married and registered here in thailand and those marriages were automatically legal and binding in USA...

yes, the OP was asking about Britain .... just thought i would give my personal experience...

just to answer a few queries, first it aint me getting married, secondly, the said lady [from cm] indeed lived in the uk for a good number of years with her husband, before sucessfully applying for uk citizenship and passport under her married english surname.

just to answer a few queries, first it aint me getting married, secondly, the said lady [from cm] indeed lived in the uk for a good number of years with her husband, before sucessfully applying for uk citizenship and passport under her married english surname.

Oh I see, marriages in Chiang Mai are different than everywhere else in Thailand.

Please move to 'visas and migration' thread. wai.gif

someone move you to the visa section.

You are the most annoying poster on this forum and offer little to no sound advice or suggestions.

OP, if the woman is a UK citizen then no problem when she returns to the UK she just registers the marriage when she goes back. She should get the ministry of foreign affairs stamp on the translation of the marriage license though.