OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Unveiled

webfact

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Unveiled

Article-8-OS-X-Mountain-Lion.jpg

This week Apple unveiled the ninth major version of its Mac OS called OS X Mountain Lion. the new version will be launched in this summer and a preview release is available now for developers. If you’re wondering why "Mac" was omitted from the title it’s because Apple has officially dropped the name from the [more...]

Full story: http://www.nettechblog.com/apple-osx-mountain-lion/

-- nettechblog.com 2012-02-18

footer_n.gif

I only recently moved to Lion from snow leopard and I gotta say I prefered Leopard

I watched the preview video of this release yesterday, and as with the last release it seems they are trying to make OSX more like iOS.

iOS works great on a touchscreen, and yeah, some of the features are useful on my laptop also, but I just hope it doesn't continue, and ends up dumbing down a real OS for a mobile one....

Rumours are Apple are gonna drop the Mac Pro (pro-standard machine = low sales), and another (albeit doubtful) rumour I read was the next line of macbook pros will have SSDs and won't have optical drives.... I won't be upgrading if that turns out to be true....

I only recently moved to Lion from snow leopard and I gotta say I prefered Leopard

I watched the preview video of this release yesterday, and as with the last release it seems they are trying to make OSX more like iOS.

iOS works great on a touchscreen, and yeah, some of the features are useful on my laptop also, but I just hope it doesn't continue, and ends up dumbing down a real OS for a mobile one....

Rumours are Apple are gonna drop the Mac Pro (pro-standard machine = low sales), and another (albeit doubtful) rumour I read was the next line of macbook pros will have SSDs and won't have optical drives.... I won't be upgrading if that turns out to be true....

Yeah, i still miss it on the Air.

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely ever use my optical drive. I have 6 external hard drives now. What do you use your optical drive for that it has to be built into your laptop.

I had "upgraded" from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2 several months ago and I had some hard some hard drive issues, both my internal and external backup drive died. Both were replaced under warranty. Actually I just replaced the internal today with a 700 GB Seagate my friend brought me from the US. He also brought me 8 GB of RAM to replace my 4 GB, which seems to really help with 10.7.3. It seems to work really well. I am still in the process of a fresh install of all my software, which will take a couple of days most likely! But as my friend said about 10.7, unless your are going to do a fresh install of everything, you should stick with 10.6.8. Otherwise you'll most likely have problems...

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely ever use my optical drive. I have 6 external hard drives now. What do you use your optical drive for that it has to be built into your laptop.

I had "upgraded" from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2 several months ago and I had some hard some hard drive issues, both my internal and external backup drive died. Both were replaced under warranty. Actually I just replaced the internal today with a 700 GB Seagate my friend brought me from the US. He also brought me 8 GB of RAM to replace my 4 GB, which seems to really help with 10.7.3. It seems to work really well. I am still in the process of a fresh install of all my software, which will take a couple of days most likely! But as my friend said about 10.7, unless your are going to do a fresh install of everything, you should stick with 10.6.8. Otherwise you'll most likely have problems...

Now and again I'll watch a DVD on my laptop.

I use it for installing software. Now, I understand, the way its going, all software will be downloaded, but in places like Thailand, I dont think the speeds are good enough. I'm sure that, should I have tried downloading the 5GB lion upgrade at my place in Bangkok, it would probably have dropped out, or taken 2 or 3 days (smartzone internet <deleted>). So, until all software is sold on USB drives, or the global internet speed is up to it, they should keep optical drives, particularly in the 'PRO' line-up, to give maximum versatility.

If you want thin, light and stripped down the air is available.

Another point, the GF has a macbook too, but no credit card, so in a world without software on discs, how will she upgrade or install paid applications?

Up to now I've had no problems with Lion. Prior to installing I did the usual maintenance tasks, and its running fine.

To perform a clean install, I presume your friend bought Lion on USB? Myself I'd prefer a clean install also, but removing optical drives won't aid this either...

Now and again I'll watch a DVD on my laptop.

I use it for installing software. Now, I understand, the way its going, all software will be downloaded, but in places like Thailand, I dont think the speeds are good enough. I'm sure that, should I have tried downloading the 5GB lion upgrade at my place in Bangkok, it would probably have dropped out, or taken 2 or 3 days (smartzone internet <deleted>). So, until all software is sold on USB drives, or the global internet speed is up to it, they should keep optical drives, particularly in the 'PRO' line-up, to give maximum versatility.

If you want thin, light and stripped down the air is available.

Another point, the GF has a macbook too, but no credit card, so in a world without software on discs, how will she upgrade or install paid applications?

Up to now I've had no problems with Lion. Prior to installing I did the usual maintenance tasks, and its running fine.

To perform a clean install, I presume your friend bought Lion on USB? Myself I'd prefer a clean install also, but removing optical drives won't aid this either...

He had a copy he put on a partitioned hard drive. I also downloaded it, made a partitioned installer on a USB external HD and a DVD. I download TV shows and movies all the time with bit torrents at my house in Phuket and I get speeds up to 850 KBps. That's kilo bytes, not bits. So I guess your internet in Bangkok must be not so great. But I do have 2 ISP at my house because CAT from my cable TV(7 Mbps) provider for 500 Baht a month is great as they don't throttle torrents, but it goes out sometimes. So I have 3 BB (5 Mbps) as a back up and to use my iPad sand iPod touch on when I'm downloading TV series and basketball games on CAT with my Mac Book Pro. It's 650 Baht a month. I'm thinking of putting a SSD in and put the 700 GB drive the place where my DVD drive is.

As far as updating your software goes you need to download the updates. I have an iTunes account in the US because I have a US address and credit card. I also have a Thai iTunes store account as I have a Thai address and used a debit card. So, this is the real world these days, not buying software or movies on DVDs.