Bike Security In Apartment Blocks

KarlHatton

Guys,

I wil shortly be getting a new bike and I was wondering the best thing to do for security is.

For guys who live in apartment blocks do you leave your bikes in the car park as is, or do you chain them to something? Any of you use disc locks with alarms.?

Cheers,

Karl

I'll second that comment about security being in on thefts. Do you have any friends who have a drive way or better still a garage nearby?

Even if you have great security guards and locks, it won't stop people sitting on it / dropping it and other bikes scratching your pride and joy :(

Disk lock with alarm built in...can't recall the brand name (Xena maybe), but it works well and due to the alarm, no chance to try to ride off with the lock still attached which I did one time years ago (look a right <deleted> when it happens).

Disk lock with alarm built in...can't recall the brand name (Xena maybe), but it works well and due to the alarm, no chance to try to ride off with the lock still attached which I did one time years ago (look a right <deleted> when it happens).

The only problem with the alarm on those small disc locks is that they can be silenced with a wet sock or on some earlier models all it took was a dab of super glue to totally mute them...

If your building has a freight elevator you could keep your bike in your condo. I think a Z1000 would make a very nice living room addition smile.png

Or failing that, if you live close to me Ladkrabang Bangkok then you're more than welcome to keep it at my house. Nice secure gated village, gated house with security top,middle and bottom, oh just don't tell the neighbours it's your bike, because it's better than mine biggrin.png

Edited by karlos

Whenever i move to a new place i always look management and security straight in the eyes with a suspicious, violent look and ask them - "you got video cameras? they on all the time?...' ..."if something gets stolen you have the tapes right...? "... then i smile like a psycho.

security and the mae bans (maids) are always in on it, and often work in collusion.

Chained to a bar and Xeno disclock.

I don't actually worry about it being stolen, (always be nice to the security guards and buy them the odd M150). Like someone mentioned before, its the kids that live there that will start climbing all over your bike that is the worst problem. Thats why i bought the disclock with alarm.

The first week i had my new bike the exhaust got covered in scratches from the kids standing on it. Complaining won't do much good, as it's mostly the kids from the maids themselves. So get yourself a noisy alarm as it will at least stop the kids from climbing on it. They may give it the odd push and runaway just to set it off, much better than the alternative though.

• Like 1

Whenever i move to a new place i always look management and security straight in the eyes with a suspicious, violent look and ask them - "you got video cameras? they on all the time?...' ..."if something gets stolen you have the tapes right...? "... then i smile like a psycho.

security and the mae bans (maids) are always in on it, and often work in collusion.

cheesy.gif

Smiling like a psycho. Good trick. They sure are impressed ;)

cheesy.gif

Smiling like a psycho. Good trick. They sure are impressed wink.png

Confusion works the best to short circuit their brains and eliminate any bad intentions. If they don't know how to play you, they wont play you.

If they know you know they are a suspect from the beginning they'll take heed...but you have to be nice about it and smile like a psycho. crazy.gif

cheesy.gif

Smiling like a psycho. Good trick. They sure are impressed wink.png

Confusion works the best to short circuit their brains and eliminate any bad intentions. If they don't know how to play you, they wont play you.

If they know you know they are a suspect from the beginning they'll take heed...but you have to be nice about it and smile like a psycho. crazy.gif

Classic! I may have to use that line.

I see someone at my serviced apt here in CM that padlocks his scooter - which really seems overkill, but to each his own. I've left my versys and KLX (and scooter) there for a month at a time no problem but maybe I have that psycho look.

There are people like me who lock there bicycles, but do not lock there motorbikes. Its up to what is the personal value for something. And how interesting the thing to protect is for thieves. I have a Yamaha Nouvo and a Tiger Boxer. The Boxer i do not lock at night :)

I do not want to consider my security as potential thieves or part of a gang or something like this. I pay for them every month. Sure there may be some bad security guys. But the most are good people and i trust them more than most farangs.

Thanks for the comments - I'd prefer to have my bike at the apartment as then it's not a big drama when going out on it (obviously not at the cost of safety)

I've ordered a Xena disc lock and a gound anchor (from UK) and I'll have to work on the apartment people to let me fit it. Planning to buy a chain & padlock from Panda Rider in the near future (unless anyone has any good/better suggestions where to get one) The carpark is an outside gated area, with one way in/out with a 24hours guard on duty. Also thinking of a bike cover as well, though would need to be a bit careful to protect the tank etc from getting scratched)

(dreaming here - thinking of drawing up a bike shed and getting it made - now that would be good security, but it might take quite a bit to convince the apartment owners! ). (similar to these, but a bit smaller )

There are people like me who lock there bicycles, but do not lock there motorbikes. Its up to what is the personal value for something. And how interesting the thing to protect is for thieves. I have a Yamaha Nouvo and a Tiger Boxer. The Boxer i do not lock at night smile.png

I do not want to consider my security as potential thieves or part of a gang or something like this. I pay for them every month. Sure there may be some bad security guys. But the most are good people and i trust them more than most farangs.

You realize that the majority of most security guards are sourced from fresh arrivees from mochit bus station looking for work?

Also like to add not to trust the maintenence guys.

Thanks for the comments - I'd prefer to have my bike at the apartment as then it's not a big drama when going out on it (obviously not at the cost of safety)

I've ordered a Xena disc lock and a gound anchor (from UK) and I'll have to work on the apartment people to let me fit it. Planning to buy a chain & padlock from Panda Rider in the near future (unless anyone has any good/better suggestions where to get one) The carpark is an outside gated area, with one way in/out with a 24hours guard on duty. Also thinking of a bike cover as well, though would need to be a bit careful to protect the tank etc from getting scratched)

(dreaming here - thinking of drawing up a bike shed and getting it made - now that would be good security, but it might take quite a bit to convince the apartment owners! ). (similar to these, but a bit smaller )

THe Xena disc lock could have been bought here in Thailand for 1200 - 2000 depending on the model, as for a ground anchor a local thai could have cemented something in the ground for a minimal charge :)

When do you expect to get your Z1000? :)

I'm meeting a colleague next week in HK so I'm going to get the stuff then, therefore I'm not paying for the shipping orThai import so that's the main reason (plus I'm flat out at work & no time to spare to go looking) for getting it from the UK. As for the gound anchor, I did think of that, but as I'm going to be installing it on someone elses property I needed something minimal (but strong).

Hopefully going to pick the bike up on the 27th Feb - can't wait..

There are people like me who lock there bicycles, but do not lock there motorbikes. Its up to what is the personal value for something. And how interesting the thing to protect is for thieves. I have a Yamaha Nouvo and a Tiger Boxer. The Boxer i do not lock at night smile.png

You realize that the majority of most security guards are sourced from fresh arrivees from mochit bus station looking for work?

Also like to add not to trust the maintenence guys.

Hmm, maybe depends on where you are living. My village isn't a very big one. My bikes are in front of my house and i can see them when looking out the window of my living room. I know my neighbours and have some friends around here. Also i trust my security, the maintanance guys and everyone else here. But OK, if i had an expensive bike i would of course lock it and install a proper alarm. Having good security doesn't mean you can leave your doors open and your bikes unlocked at night in Bangkok.

... install a proper alarm....

They are not expensive and can be armed/disarmed by remote so easier to "cancel" for false alarms. Had one in Indo on my NSR150!

Caveat: They do use battery so you either have to ride regularly or have a battery tender connected.

Cables work better than chains for attaching to to the anchor.

Yes to the bike cover.

Yes to the disc locks.

So.

They have to cut the cable or the anchor to steal the bike. They cannot roll it, as it has TWO disc locks and when they pick it up the alarm sounds

Never liked disc locks all you have to do is remove the caliper and you can drive away. I always run a padlock through the sprocket. Or a cable lock through the front shocks and wheel spoke.

Never liked disc locks all you have to do is remove the caliper and you can drive away. I always run a padlock through the sprocket. Or a cable lock through the front shocks and wheel spoke.

i dont like them either but the new disc locks have motion sensors in them and try removing one when its blasting you with 120+ decibel screaming .....

i dont like them either but the new disc locks have motion sensors in them and try removing one when its blasting you with 120+ decibel screaming .....

Hopefully most Kamoys can't read English but i remember reading MCN a few years back and a wet sock / wet jumper can do wonders at quieting them, also if there's any port for the siren it's self, super glue locks the siren in position and mutes it entirely. :S

I also thought that if the calipers were removed most disc locks would hit the front forks, guess it depends on the size of the disc lock and the distance of the discs from the forks? :)

Hopefully most Kamoys can't read English but i remember reading MCN a few years back and a wet sock / wet jumper can do wonders at quieting them, also if there's any port for the siren it's self, super glue locks the siren in position and mutes it entirely. :S

I also thought that if the calipers were removed most disc locks would hit the front forks, guess it depends on the size of the disc lock and the distance of the discs from the forks? smile.png

superglue aka cyanoacrylate glue ***and accelerator that hardens the cyano on contact wink.png

hopefully it'll be a fat disc lock so it catches the forks ! Anyone want to give it a go???

Edited by KRS1

Its sad thing but I have to agree with you

If your building has a freight elevator you could keep your bike in your condo. I think a Z1000 would make a very nice living room addition smile.png

I knew a guy who pushed his Honda Steed 400 up 4 flights of stairs and locked it in his rented condo while he went on a visa run.

It was gone when he returned.

Padlocks: suggest getting the shielded type harder to cut w/ lock cutters, which good thieves of course have. http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/masterlock--titanium-series-padlocks/p-125441pd.html

I knew a guy who pushed his Honda Steed 400 up 4 flights of stairs and locked it in his rented condo while he went on a visa run.

It was gone when he returned.

bike theives are weird in thailand ,ive left bikes in plane view outside 7/11s and bts stations and intersections unattended and stil there when i come back from malyasia or wherever the next day

and then theres stories about locked bikes vanishing from 10 ft walled and gated villages with a full team of security that didnt see a thing of course ;)