Fried Fish, Mash And ....................Gravy!

I recently fancied a fried fish in a restaurant. But wishing to reduce the fat content, I ordered it with mash instead of chips. Rather surprisingly, along with the tartar sauce came a gravy boat. Not fish gravy but meat gravy. After enquiry I was told that gravy was provided whenever mashed potatoes were served - regardless of whether accompanied by meat or fish .

Strange! Any comments?

Edited by prakhonchai nick

I like mashed potaoes with or without gravy, but it does not sound strange to me. Mashed potaoes with fish gravy does sound weird.

Fish gravy would have been more appropriate as I was eating fish. However -NOT with fried fish in batter!

Keep digging Nick - you will find no takers !

Mashed potatoes with fried fish is relatively unusual. Nothing NEEDS to be unusual, food is simply a matter of taste/preference.

As you are aware the restaurant to which you refer is in the middle of nowhere and the staff had not seen Farang food until a couple of years ago. The food and the related language was/is alien to them.

Up until Friday evening NOBODY in 2 and half years had ordered beer battered fish with anything other than chips.

The staff are used to serving gravy with mashed potato dishes - and this was no exception. As I happened to be sitting next to you I noticed that you utilised most of the gravy (no additional charge for that).

You have been out of England for over 25 years and you may have missed the increasing trend of serving gravy (and curry sauce) with chips.

Your own tastes are slightly peculiar, having been honed over the last 25 years on 20 Baht rice and noodle dishes and kwitiou.

You will not find too many people choosing a mashed potato option with their fried fish. However, we (like Harry Ramsdens) do understand the idiosyncrasies of our customers and willingly offer an interchange of mash for chips if required.

The gravy, I accept, is an unusual one. I wouldn't opt for it personally - I may guide the staff accordingly so please do not expect the same bonus next time jap.gif

Gravy can, of course, be supplied - as an extra - with any meal. The customer is always right !

Note: fish gravy is something that you normaly find in the Uk or with any self-respecting fried fish order.

Edited by cardholder

Unless the mashed potato is mashed with a generous amount of butter and milk, for me gravy is a requirement,

It is long time since I enjoyed beer batter fish, just for reference are we allowed to know where this culinary delight is served?......one day perhaps....

Mashed potatoes with fried fish is relatively unusual. Nothing NEEDS to be unusual, food is simply a matter of taste/preference.

As you are aware the restaurant to which you refer is in the middle of nowhere and the staff had not seen Farang food until a couple of years ago. The food and the related language was/is alien to them.

Up until Friday evening NOBODY in 2 and half years had ordered beer battered fish with anything other than chips.

The staff are used to serving gravy with mashed potato dishes - and this was no exception. As I happened to be sitting next to you I noticed that you utilised most of the gravy (no additional charge for that).

You have been out of England for over 25 years and you may have missed the increasing trend of serving gravy (and curry sauce) with chips.

Your own tastes are slightly peculiar, having been honed over the last 25 years on 20 Baht rice and noodle dishes and kwitiou.

You will not find too many people choosing a mashed potato option with their fried fish. However, we (like Harry Ramsdens) do understand the idiosyncrasies of our customers and willingly offer an interchange of mash for chips if required.

The gravy, I accept, is an unusual one. I wouldn't opt for it personally - I may guide the staff accordingly so please do not expect the same bonus next time jap.gif

Gravy can, of course, be supplied - as an extra - with any meal. The customer is always right !

Note: fish gravy is something that you normaly find in the Uk or with any self-respecting fried fish order.

Can't argue with you Cardholder - you always have an answer for everything.

Gravy served with fried fish, whether accompanied by chips or mashed potatoes is strange - very strange - and I have NEVER come across this before.

Not complaining- just making an observation. However if as you say above "the customer is always right", then you, Sir, as "mein host" should not be so openly critical!

Can't argue with you Cardholder - you always have an answer for everything.

Gravy served with fried fish, whether accompanied by chips or mashed potatoes is strange - very strange - and I have NEVER come across this before.

Not complaining- just making an observation. However if as you say above "the customer is always right", then you, Sir, as "mein host" should not be so openly critical!

I may always have an answer - I guarantee it will not always be right ! :)

Not being critical at all - just responding as best I can to a subject raised on an open forum.

Very useful as we have establsihed that gravy (whilst 'the norm' with mashed potatoes) is certainly not a 'natural fit' when accompanying mashed potatoes that are served with battered fish. That will take 2.5 Baht off my overheads in future clap2.gif

I can see that the customers at Coffee Corner (in the town that spawned your Thai Visa user name) will now want gravy with everything in future...........

Let's see what Cambodia offers tonight if we order the same :)