Scotch Eggs

MiG16

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm American and have travelled quite a bit on business. The best ever sctoch egss that I have ever had are not "hardboiled". They are soft boiled and served hot ritght out of the fryer, When you cut into then the soft yolk of the egg envelopes the sausage and whatever it is presented on. I've tried making them myself but ended up with a egg and sausage stir fry, still tasted good, but not a scotch egg!

As you say, there are a few variants to the dish. The "runny yolk" one being a good one

I've also heard of them being put in an oven and roasted for 30 mins, instead of being fried (with just a light brushing of oil to the top of them)

Sausage king makes the best scotch eggs in thai. www.sausage-king1.com

Khun sabaijai

Thats the place that serves scotch eggs for 250 baht! :whistling:

And as said before I'm not paying that kind of money for a couple of boiled eggs :lol:

Khun sabaijai

Thats the place that serves scotch eggs for 250 baht! whistling.gif

And as said before I'm not paying that kind of money for a couple of boiled eggs laugh.png

Reasonably priced for the quality, I think thumbsup.gif not just any eggs but quail eggs, carefully rolled in homemade sausage, than baked in a casserole and served piping hot. Best I've ever eaten. I imagine they cost more than 250 baht in the UK wink.png

H&S also makes excellent Toad in a Hole. British comfort foods re-interpreted for gourmands, I love it.

YMMV :)

Mughal prior to India I think.....

And here I was thinking it might get me in a certain scots good books if I can claim I've tried some Scottish food laugh.png

Especially considering the other options such as black pudding or whatever.

Scary stuff mostly ohmy.png

Not unlike some scots actually ohmy.png

You could always try a deep fried Mars Bar.

I was in line waiting for a fish supper the other week when a lassie came into the shop and ordered a deep fried mars bar. Everyone in the queue rolled their eyes...

She was English of course.....

Mughal prior to India I think.....

And here I was thinking it might get me in a certain scots good books if I can claim I've tried some Scottish food laugh.png

Especially considering the other options such as black pudding or whatever.

Scary stuff mostly ohmy.png

Not unlike some scots actually ohmy.png

You could always try a deep fried Mars Bar.

I was in line waiting for a fish supper the other week when a lassie came into the shop and ordered a deep fried mars bar. Everyone in the queue rolled their eyes...

She was English of course.....

More likely trying to hide a Glaswegian accent...

Origination - Carron Fish Bar in Stonehaven. The Kincardineshire seaside town gained notoriety in 1995 when the chippy, then called the Haven, first dunked a Mars into the deep fryer.

Here's some I made earlier. 50 Baht a throw...

Did you use the Originalnakedchef Youtube video posted earlier? How were they?

They were delicious. The missus added a couple of herbs to the following recipe:-

ngredients

Preparation method

1. Place the eggs, still in their shells, in a pan of cold salted water.

2. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for exactly nine minutes.

3. Drain and cool the eggs under cold running water, then peel.

4. Mix the sausage meat with the thyme, parsley and spring onion in a bowl and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper (Simon recommends being generous with the freshly ground black pepper).

5. Divide the sausage meat mixture into four and flatten each out on a clean surface into ovals about 12.5cm/5in long and 7.5cm/3in at its widest point.

6. Place the seasoned flour onto a plate, then dredge each boiled egg in the flour.

7. Place each onto a sausage meat oval, then wrap the sausage meat around each egg. Make sure the coating is smooth and completely covers each egg.

8. Dip each sausage meat-coated egg in the beaten egg, rolling to coat completely, then dip and roll into the breadcrumbs to completely cover.

9. Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan, until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)

10. Carefully place each scotch egg into the hot oil and deep-fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp and the sausage meat is completely cooked.

11. Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

12. Serve cool.

They were delicious. The missus added a couple of herbs to the following recipe:-

Ingredients

Preparation method

5. Divide the sausage meat mixture into four and flatten each out on a clean surface into ovals about 12.5cm/5in long and 7.5cm/3in at its widest point.

One really should add to put flour on the clean surface first and then the sausage meat mixture due to sausage meat sticks any surface.

Helping a hand in need.

Win w00t.gif

• Like 2

I really don't understand the fascination with fried Mars Bars as uncooked Mars Bars are the blandest of any confectionary...now, a fried Snickers is understandable...but some local chefs lack the necessary vision and adventure and until we overcome horrible culinary conservatism we shall remain in a somtam quandary forever...

Edited by tutsiwarrior