Trying To Get A Thai Tourist Visa In Tokyo

I'm currently living in Tokyo and I want to apply for a tourist visa for my upcoming trip to Thailand. I've read that the Thai Embassy in Tokyo is very strict when it comes to the paperwork, well everywhere in Japan is like that.

So before I apply I want to make sure I have all my paperwork in order but I'm confused on one point. I'm a freelance graphic designer and thus don't have a business registration or license. Any ideas on what documents I can produce that will satisfy the Thai embassy to give me the visa?

2. Self-employed applicant must prepare business registration/license and bank statement.

For only 55 days you should be able to get a normal, single entry tourist visa (60 days) which, should you decide to go over 55 (60) days you can extend in-country by another 30 days.

For a tourist visa, paperwork is minimal - you would only need company docs and extensive paperwork if you were planning to work here.

If you go with your return ticket and proof of funds (current bank statement with at least 20,000 baht (~$650) you should be ok.

Even if they're anal about paperwork, that should be enough.

Below the "official" requirements:

TOURIST VISA 1. REQUIREMENT This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED - Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months - Visa application form completely filled out - Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant - Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full) - Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family) - Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

The poster is in Japan and do not believe Thai Consulate there will issue visas to non residents and poster does not appear to have the documentation that a resident is required to have. If he is legally a resident; and sure of that, suspect Consulate will accept application but if a gray area they may not.

Good Luck. I used to get tourist visas for Thailand when I lived in Japan at that embassy and it is a real PITA.

They wanted a business registration document from my employer at the time plus a bunch of other paperwork. Seems ridiculous for a 60 day tourist visa.

For self employed - i do not know.

My advice -if still valid - Last time I got a visa was in 2007 - I remember one of the counter persons at the visa office was a Thai man in his late 30's or so wearing glasses. AVOID this guy if at all possible as he is a real stickler for paperwork and a total jerk. Try to deal with the ladies that work there instead as they were more flexible with the paperwork and much nicer.

Good Luck. I used to get tourist visas for Thailand when I lived in Japan at that embassy and it is a real PITA.

They wanted a business registration document from my employer at the time plus a bunch of other paperwork. Seems ridiculous for a 60 day tourist visa.

For self employed - i do not know.

Why is the Thai Embassy so difficult in Tokyo.

To me those requirements as mentioned above are not part of the official standard requirements.

Why is the Thai Embassy so difficult in Tokyo.

Because it's Japan. This place thrives on endless paperwork and there is very little give if you don't have all the documents.

I agree that is does seem ridiculous just to get a tourist visa but I'll see what happens.

Yes it is what happens when you combine Thai and Japanese bureaucracy - double the nightmares.

Funny though in my many years of dealing with Japanese visas and immigration - I found them to be very straightforward and reasonable with the lowest costs - especially when compared to Thai or US immigrations.

"...very straightforward and reasonable with the lowest costs - especially when compared to Thai or US immigrations.?

You think Thailand is expensive?

The work visa/permit system in Japan is very, very reasonable in cost and time. A multi-year work permit (3 or 5 years depending on your company contract) I believe is about 2,400 baht and a multi-year re-entry permit is also about 2,400 baht. The single entry permit is half, 1,200 baht as is a single year work permit. However, the re-entry permit is going to be done away with this year, I think. I believe that the student visa/family stay visa/cultural activities visa etc are the same price.

Once you are in the system there is no need to visit immigration until you move or change jobs. So yeah, the visa system in Japan is very reasonable.

So when you compare this to Thailand... yes, the visas for Thailand are expensive.

Yes I agree, I lived in Japan for over 6 years and never had any problems getting my work visas. As The WalkingMan said - they just changed work/marriage visas from 3 to 5 years and no need to get a re-entry permit anymore if you are out of the country for less than a year. And the visa fees are very cheap - about 5000 yen(1500 baht) now every 5 years. There is no such thing as a "work permit" / green card as your work visa is all you need.

If you have a spouse visa - you can work any type of job no restrictions. Likewise Perm. Residency is obtainable only after 5 years to spouses and 10 for others.

Compare all this to what one has to deal with down here and the costs. I have to renew my visa every year and spend 1900 baht + 3800 baht for the mult. re-entry + $50 at the US embassy for the affidavit = about 6500 baht every year + the hassle of 90 day reporting + work permits for every job + restrictions on type of work I can do - none of this is necessary in Japan.

Also Perm. Residence here is a joke and hardly worth getting - not that you can even get it now.

Edited by calbts2