Swedish Youth Sentenced For 1 Month In Jail For Overstay

I know someone who have both thai and british passport, born in london 35 years ago and came back to bangkok when he's 5 years old with his british passport then when in bangkok had his thai ID and thai passport in his teen age, Travel with his family overseas with his thai passport. and never been back to UK ever since.

Last month got his new british passport . then went back to the UK showing them both old and new british passport and paid i think around Thai Baht 25k nothing ask from the officer and stamp his passport with overstay stamp and no black listed. But he also explain to the officer that he was a minor when he came back to bangkok and doesnt know anything

So meaning he got 30 Years overstay hahahah

Who charged him? If he had traveled on his Thai passport then what has his UK passport got to do with it?

He got ripped off.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't find it on any Phuket news or any news actually. I call BS

Not a line about it in swedish news

Well, it's hardly a topic for the Pulitzer prize. biggrin.png

Maybe this would be headline news in Sweden, not much else goes on there LOL

Right, this is a headline in Sweden, actually I found an article

that listed all Swedish citizen sent to jail abroad crazy.gif

Overstaying is not a serious offence.. keep paying your 20k fine and you will be alright.. Ive had a 1 year overstay and went to a border crossing and paid my fine and walked straight back in....

This post in itself is a reason to tighten up on the visa rules in Thailand....so one assumes we will never see you on TV complaining about corruption in Thailand, or scams ?

wont be complaining because after a while you realise the scams will be here long after you and i die... If you cant beat them join them

• Like 1

Overstaying is not a serious offence.. keep paying your 20k fine and you will be alright.. Ive had a 1 year overstay and went to a border crossing and paid my fine and walked straight back in....

Can't wait until you have to show your passport before your border crossing. Then what? Sit in jail until someone kind enough will bail you out with 20K fine and a ticket out of the country.

Married now its irrelivant

You can leave the country with 11 years and nothing happen - the problem is if you get checked/caught by the police before you reach the airport.

Is this what happened to your acquaintance? If you can give as much detail as possible without naming names it would be useful.

Of course if the acquaintance doesn't mind being named and shamed then maybe he could post his experience for the information of others.

The overstay was in the region of 1 year (13 months or so). Both of the lads had gone through a period of serious negative cashflow a period back and didn't fly out at the prescribed time - they thought paying their way out when they needed to next time would be fine. Now, a year later, they had worked themselves up to a very nice financial state.

Their status as overstay was detected during a police-raid (false tipoff, rendering no find of what the tip was related to, foreign business competitor assumed behind it due to history between them).

One of the lads had been caught with overstay some time back (2 years) and spent days at immigration before being sent out etc, the normal handling.

This time no lenience was given.

would you mind posting the official receipt for payment of 20,000thb I would really love to see what it actually looks like. You of course have the receipt right?.. I have mine for my 2 day overstay from 3 years ago... smile.png wow that taught me a lesson smile.png

will the stamp in my passport be enough for you?

True or not, I will not change my attitude regarding Overstay.

I Overstay when I find it appropriated and it fits in my plans better than a borderrun or it is cheaper.

I did so in Thailand (never more than 12 days) and in Cambodia (a month at most, 5 Dollar per day there) a couple of times.

Do you also chose whichever laws you want to obey in your own country, depending upon whether they are appropriate to you or not?

I've got an idea. Go home. Decide that it's not in your plans to obey laws and see what happens.

In my country the border police dont smile and joke with you when you overstay and expect a 1000 baht tip.... I even called this policeman the day before and he said no problem come and see me... you people complain about the visa procedure on here all the time but when someone overstays you are bitter.. Until you stop the border police corruption then ppl will overstay all the time.. your voice means nothing in this country as they dont care what a farang has to say so why lose sleep over it

• Like 2

The info is being kept out of any press on purpose, the attempt is to set up a donation before the appeal in April (perhaps earlier if everything goes well).

The info was specifically cleaned from personal details to avoid putting a friend in the limelight for something stupid and focus on the fact that this happens.

The info is being kept out of any press on purpose, the attempt is to set up a donation before the appeal in April (perhaps earlier if everything goes well).

The info was specifically cleaned from personal details to avoid putting a friend in the limelight for something stupid and focus on the fact that this happens.

Well thats normal if they got caught... Pay your money take your chance but get caught before then life wont be easy

I would like to know the legitimacy behind this. If you are going to post here on TV then please back it up. Anyone can just make up a story and I just don't believe this one.

I knew a Swede National who left Thailand a few years back now and he had 11 years over=stay. Paid the money and he even came back to get his kids later.

Get to immigration, job done. Get caught by the police, breaking the law.What"s so difficult to understand. Sometimes people post what they know. If you choose to take it with a piece of salt, so be it. The sentence fits the crime for what the individual was caught for and not for what others have got away with.
  • Like 1

The overstay was in the region of 1 year (13 months or so). Both of the lads had gone through a period of serious negative cashflow a period back and didn't fly out at the prescribed time - they thought paying their way out when they needed to next time would be fine. Now, a year later, they had worked themselves up to a very nice financial state.

Their status as overstay was detected during a police-raid (false tipoff, rendering no find of what the tip was related to, foreign business competitor assumed behind it due to history between them).

One of the lads had been caught with overstay some time back (2 years) and spent days at immigration before being sent out etc, the normal handling.

This time no lenience was given.

So their work permits were all in order then? That wasn't an issue with this overstay?

True or not, I will not change my attitude regarding Overstay.

I Overstay when I find it appropriated and it fits in my plans better than a borderrun or it is cheaper.

I did so in Thailand (never more than 12 days) and in Cambodia (a month at most, 5 Dollar per day there) a couple of times.

Do you also chose whichever laws you want to obey in your own country, depending upon whether they are appropriate to you or not?

I did precisely that for 21 years...

• Like 2

So their work permits were all in order then? That wasn't an issue with this overstay?

No work-permits yet, it was one of those things they were now going to be able to do, i.e. go fully legal and leave everything gray behind. But now it looks bleak.

Why the hostility? Probably not the first person nicked for this. We just don't hear about the others sitting in the can because they have no family, friends or money.

I like to sleep at night, so I keep it legit. Others have a greater stress threshold. Personal choices and personal responsibility.

• Like 1

Link please, i can't find anything about this in the Swedish news/ thai related forums.

And it is definitely not on the headlines.

Link please, i can't find anything about this in the Swedish news/ thai related forums.

He was being factious - there is no news-article listing every national in jail in any paper for any nation.

This is real news. I pray now for all overstayers shitting their pants.

how sad some people are,getting a kick from this.

my friend has paid 20k and got out with no hassle after 4 years 3 month over stay.no black mark in passport,picked him up lastnite at airport ,for people on over stay like all things here you can pay your way out of most things

• Like 2

I know someone who have both thai and british passport, born in london 35 years ago and came back to bangkok when he's 5 years old with his british passport then when in bangkok had his thai ID and thai passport in his teen age, Travel with his family overseas with his thai passport. and never been back to UK ever since.

Last month got his new british passport . then went back to the UK showing them both old and new british passport and paid i think around Thai Baht 25k nothing ask from the officer and stamp his passport with overstay stamp and no black listed. But he also explain to the officer that he was a minor when he came back to bangkok and doesnt know anything

Who charged him? If he had traveled on his Thai passport then what has his UK passport got to do with it?

He got ripped off.

sorry he travelled using Thai passport instead of the UK passport

This is real news. I pray now for all overstayers shitting their pants.
how sad some people are,getting a kick from this. my friend has paid 20k and got out with no hassle after 4 years 3 month over stay.no black mark in passport,picked him up lastnite at airport ,for people on over stay like all things here you can pay your way out of most things

Yes, if you reach immigration at the airport or the border you can pay the penalty fee and go about your way - often without a mark.

However, if you at any point is stopped and checked before that you could end up with a few days at immigration until you get money together to buy a ticket out - or worse spend longer time there.

You are not serious. Total fiction or you just delusional.

You are not serious. Total fiction or you just delusional.

Why must i be Total fiction just delusional if the person that i am referring to is someone i know personally. Why not you google or search this forum because there are tons of similar cases. Cheers

Edited by ManOnTheRoad

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/svenskarna-som-gripits-och-fangslats-utomlands-2010/

you people complain about the visa procedure on here all the time but when someone overstays you are bitter.. Until you stop the border police corruption then ppl will overstay all the time.. your voice means nothing in this country as they dont care what a farang has to say so why lose sleep over it

Actually, i don't complain about the visa procedure at all. I find the Thai visa rules to be very simple and - compared to some countries - relatively open. They allow me to live the life I want with minimal disruption, thank you very much.

But then I took the trouble to read up on them, understand them work out what option is best for me and - most importantly - observe them.

The only regret I have about thai visa issues is that they are not more rigorously policed and abusers punished properly. Including being deported and banned for life.

Edited by bendix
  • Like 2

mackes. I just loves serious posters like you. As you are well aware of, most posters here don't read Swedish, so you provides a link to a Swedish rag "expressen", with an an article about Swedes being arrested abroad in 2010 !!! Very much to do with the current subject ??

you people complain about the visa procedure on here all the time but when someone overstays you are bitter.. Until you stop the border police corruption then ppl will overstay all the time.. your voice means nothing in this country as they dont care what a farang has to say so why lose sleep over it

Actually, i don't complain about the visa procedure at all. I find the Thai visa rules to be very simple and - compared to some countries - relatively open. They allow me to live the life I want with minimal disruption, thank you very much.

But then I took the trouble to read up on them, understand them work out what option is best for me and - most importantly - observe them.

The only regret I have about thai visa issues is that they are not more rigorously policed and abusers punished properly. Including being deported and banned for life.

And you know why its never taken seriously and probably never will be.. Tea money.. money talks in this country so that why nobody cares... Why dont you send a letter to bangkok imm asking them to ban overstayers lol

• Like 2