Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

Drove past a police helmet check today.

Just as two police rode off on their bikes, helmets on, straps dangling.

Yep, even police fears losing the face if they close the straps. Closing the straps means: "I fear there could be an accident". Not closing the straps means: "I just wear the helmet because law says so. Of course i fear nothing and i am the greatest" biggrin.png

And what about those weirdos you see sometimes with their helmet hanging BEHIND them with the strap around their neck. <deleted> is that all about?!

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones that really get me are the ones that are holding the helmet on one hand while driving. I think they should get a double fine. It's one thing not to wear a helmet but to take up one of your hands to hold it while driving is just totally moronic.

• Like 1

I'm not normally in the habit of discussing my sex life but normally I don't wear a helmet. However my gf does like to role play now and again so if she is in one of her "ravished by stranger moods" I will wear a full face helmet for her.

Recently she has had some kind of fetish about Vikings, and she has insisted on me wearing one of those Viking helmets with the horns, and she call's me Sven for some reason. She has a very vivid imagination you know.

I think that is all just innocent good fun but I wasn't happy about having to wear a Santa hat and suit in the bedroom. Totally ruined my childhood memories that did.

I'm not normally in the habit of discussing my sex life but normally I don't wear a helmet. However my gf does like to role play now and again so if she is in one of her "ravished by stranger moods" I will wear a full face helmet for her.

Recently she has had some kind of fetish about Vikings, and she has insisted on me wearing one of those Viking helmets with the horns, and she call's me Sven for some reason. She has a very vivid imagination you know.

I think that is all just innocent good fun but I wasn't happy about having to wear a Santa hat and suit in the bedroom. Totally ruined my childhood memories that did.

Think Sven might be her old BF buddy. Look for his name on her ass to be sure ;)

• Like 1

And what about those weirdos you see sometimes with their helmet hanging BEHIND them with the strap around their neck. <deleted> is that all about?!

Hmm, human behaviour is sometimes strange and hard to understand. But its interesting too. People taking a helmet with them and instead of wearing it properly they let the helmet hanging around the neck and force the risk of serious damages of the spine. It could be simple stupidity. But i do not believe that most people are stupid. Mostly young men do such things. So mostly its about coolness and showing no fear.

Enhancing the safety is a difficult process which needs a long time to be accepted by people and society. Things like risk compensation and risk homeostasis have to be considered. It could be safer to ride careful without helmet than to ride dangerously wearing full safety gear. Maybe i was wrong and most thais are clever people not wearing a helmet? Maybe they signal to fellow road users: "Look, i am nearly naked and unprotected. Please be careful in what you are doing". But this trick does not seem to work properly in cities like Bangkok.

As this is turning into a helmet debate thread, I'd like to repeat here my point of view that I am against a general obligation to wear helmets. Any driver older than 18 should decide for himself if he wants to wear one or not.

It's my 2nd post, I've owned very big sport bikes in Europe for 30 years, now living permanently in Thaïland. I can say wearing a quality full face helmet has saved my life twice. And now in Thailand I wear quality helmet, glove, pants motorbike jacket and light motorbike boots. Even for a ride to the market or 7eleven in the village I have a 3/4 quality helmet.

You said any driver should decide to wear or not a helmet. But if you're not dead on the spot who will have to pay the hospital bill when no insurance will cover the costs ? I hope you know that no insurance will cover any accident if you don't wear a helmet ? It's not very nice to count on your family to spend all their money to take care of your lack of responsibility.

I hope you know that no insurance will cover any accident if you don't wear a helmet ? It's not very nice to count on your family to spend all their money to take care of your lack of responsibility.

Wish that was true, but the young man I mentioned earlier whom had a good deal of scalp removed, lips massively torn, many teeth smashed, and a small piece of skull remove later in surgery. He went through 7 hours of surgery, including the craniotomy, plastic surgery on his face, plus reopening and scrubbing dirt under that large flap of scalp quickly sewn up on Koh Tao, and yesterday had 2 more surgeries on his face and teeth. And they received full coverage and good treatment from there insurance company. Kids is in a world of hurt, with no more swelling on his brain, looks like he will make a full recovery. His scar'ed mug (it's going to be), all from a slow speed scooter accident will hopefully encourage a few non believers in helmet laws to wear one.

Not the first case of a payout do to medical expenses from a motorcycle crash whilst not wearing a helmet I've heard about in Chiang Mai. But the opposite holds true of farang employed here, such as school teachers, with basic insurance coverage through there employer - whom find out their cheap plan excludes motorcycles, riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, or at best includes motorcycles only under 125 cc and wearing a helmet.

Edited by Fishenough

In the UK once, driving around the south west bit of the M25 on a Sunday evening - traffic almost nil, topping a ton. Helmet on and visa down (cos of the wind) - nice warm eveing. Then I ducked, just instinctivly, as I did a large bird skimmed my back before slamming into the windscreen of the car behind. I think it was a partridge or maybe a duck. One thing for sure, hitting that quacker at 100mph plus would have put me through the windscreen of the car behind!

Alos in the UK, I was pushed sideways into a parked double decker bus by a Lodon commuter driving his tin box while reading the news paper on his steering wheel. I was doing about 60mph at the time, tried to do an emergency brake (far too close to stop) and hit the bus. My beautiful 6 month old Bandit was wrecked (I mean pieces everywhere).

I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. I woke up initially laying about 10 foor behind the bus - I was already tied to a board so couldn't move. The copper that met me at the emergency room told me two things that I remember: 1-in 20+ years as a London traffic cop, I was the first biker involved in a crash with a double decker that he'd been called to that was still breathing; 2-the back of the bus had a five inch dent in the shape of a hand print where I had pushed away from the bus (alli engine cover - boot flap) and a round 2 inch deep den where my helmet struck. I had a grand's worth of leathers cut off of me and my helmet was in two distinct pieces - but that 300 quid helmet saved my life, of that I have no doubt. I ended up with badly bruised legs and a smashed wrist (caused quite a stir in xray - they had never seen every bone in the wrist crushed (all 9 of them) and spun out of position and every tendon dislocated before). Mt leather saved me from road rash, helpmet from mashed head, gloves save my fingers getting ripped up by the metal I put my hand through, body armour stopped my leggs being broken and injury to my back.

Doesn't matter how careful you are, you can never completely account for other road users when on a bike.

I honestly can't see the draw of hatless riding here - first off, even with an open visor I get mouthfuls of bugs and road grit very quiickly -yuk! and secondly, a full face helmet makes you indestinguishable from helmeted Thais (assuming not riding in shorts, flipflops and string vest!), so less an attrraction for BiBs too.

But if you're not dead on the spot who will have to pay the hospital bill when no insurance will cover the costs ?

Well, I hate to point out the obvious, but if you're "dead on the spot" there won't be much of a hospital bill, will there?

And I can assure you that when I purchased health insurance in Thailand I made dam_n sure that it would cover motorcycle accidents. There's nothing in the fine print of my plan that says you're not covered if not wearing a helmet.

My plan does exclude racing however, which sucks, and I've yet to find an insurer that offers medical coverage for racing (or other "dangerous" sports.)

Every plan I've looked at in Thailand specifically excludes coverage for "dangerous" activities which include such things as Scuba diving, surfing, racing, hang-gliding, parachuting, etc. Hell, most plans also exclude coverage for any medical claim incurred as the result of being drunk or in a brawl too! drunk.gif

Has anyone here ever come across a plan that offers any coverage if you're hurt/injured while participating in a "dangerous" activity?

But if you're not dead on the spot who will have to pay the hospital bill when no insurance will cover the costs ?

Well, I hate to point out the obvious, but if you're "dead on the spot" there won't be much of a hospital bill, will there?

And I can assure you that when I purchased health insurance in Thailand I made dam_n sure that it would cover motorcycle accidents. There's nothing in the fine print of my plan that says you're not covered if not wearing a helmet.

My plan does exclude racing however, which sucks, and I've yet to find an insurer that offers medical coverage for racing (or other "dangerous" sports.)

Every plan I've looked at in Thailand specifically excludes coverage for "dangerous" activities which include such things as Scuba diving, surfing, racing, hang-gliding, parachuting, etc. Hell, most plans also exclude coverage for any medical claim incurred as the result of being drunk or in a brawl too! drunk.gif

Has anyone here ever come across a plan that offers any coverage if you're hurt/injured while participating in a "dangerous" activity?

You might find there is an exclusion (possibly by legal precident if not in your actual policy) which nullifies it by the fact that riding without a helmet is illegal, and thus your loss was incurred during illegal activity. Just saying.

Read my post, I've said "if you're not dead". Of course if you're dead ...

Read my post, I've said "if you're not dead". Of course if you're dead ...

Ooops! My bad! Misread your post. Apologies jap.gif

Living in the boonies I enjoy a gentle ride out on the country roads - probably no more than 60 kph. I enjoy the fresh air and often prefer to tootle along without a helmet.

Seen that go wrong. Lady upcountry, wearing no helmet, was tootling along on a deserted road. Perfectly safe, right? An old farmer came tootling along in the opposite direction. Both were traveling at low speeds. Old farmer falls asleep just as he nears the lady and crashes into her before she knew what was happening. She woke up in the hospital having suffered a concussion, along w/ scrapes and bruises. (Dunno about the farmer.) Only slow speed saved her; she was quite lucky in addition.

Some cops ride arould Pattaya with baseball style caps on. So I figure I am pretty safe in the wooly beanie my GF made for me. wink.png

Hope your GF hasn't forgotten to place a stichery on the inside showing that your beanie is DOT aproved ohmy.png

Back to the original post.

Always wear a full face helmet.

I have an Arai RX7 both in Thailand and here in Singapore.

But, I do wear thin shirts and jeans. Asking for a full body destruction really......its just that it's so dam_n hot.

Got some great AlpineStars Mustang gloves though.

why doesnt the thai govt or schools etc start a wear a hemet campaign

Because it will not help. If you have been in this country longer than the average tourist, you should know. They are just plain stupid. You'll have to waite to the next generation and maybe you'll see a change in behaviour.

That's a hell of a comment. "All 65 million Thais are stupid". Please beware us from such comments in the future.

You know as well as me that this is not an can not be true.

There are a lot of efforts from the politicans to address this but I believe the problem is the local police not enforce

the laws due to whatever reasons.

Living in the boonies I enjoy a gentle ride out on the country roads - probably no more than 60 kph. I enjoy the fresh air and often prefer to tootle along without a helmet.

Seen that go wrong. Lady upcountry, wearing no helmet, was tootling along on a deserted road. Perfectly safe, right? An old farmer came tootling along in the opposite direction. Both were traveling at low speeds. Old farmer falls asleep just as he nears the lady and crashes into her before she knew what was happening. She woke up in the hospital having suffered a concussion, along w/ scrapes and bruises. (Dunno about the farmer.) Only slow speed saved her; she was quite lucky in addition.

I agree JS, anything is possible, and I have no excuse for not wearing the helmet. It is a "risk" that I am prepared to take for the enjoyment of the countryside. I accept 100% that I am in the wrong.

• Like 1

Back to the original post.

Always wear a full face helmet.

I have an Arai RX7 both in Thailand and here in Singapore.

But, I do wear thin shirts and jeans. Asking for a full body destruction really......its just that it's so dam_n hot.

Got some great AlpineStars Mustang gloves though.

And this what goes on inside these helmets....

Enough already! the last thing I wanted to do was post a comment on this topic., I have been riding (not driving) motorcycles for about forty five years and anybody that claims they always wear a helmet is on a par with a golfer who say"s they have has never cheated in a game! Rules as well as laws are in place to protect people that do not have the capacity to think for themselves and ascertain the risks of what they are about to do.I wear a helmet most of the time but if I am riding to the farm (about 1 km away on a quiet country road) I dont, And yes that is a risk I choose to take! And yes again a jumbo jet may fall from the sky and land on top of my unprotected head .But life should not be 100 percent regulated like some would prefer .But we as Farangs in this country all need to step back from time to time and review the reasons why we are here? and if you want to make this country the same as where you came from, so you feel more at home. Think again It will not happen.

Enough already! the last thing I wanted to do was post a comment on this topic., I have been riding (not driving) motorcycles for about forty five years and anybody that claims they always wear a helmet is on a par with a golfer who say"s they have has never cheated in a game! Rules as well as laws are in place to protect people that do not have the capacity to think for themselves and ascertain the risks of what they are about to do.I wear a helmet most of the time but if I am riding to the farm (about 1 km away on a quiet country road) I dont, And yes that is a risk I choose to take! And yes again a jumbo jet may fall from the sky and land on top of my unprotected head .But life should not be 100 percent regulated like some would prefer .But we as Farangs in this country all need to step back from time to time and review the reasons why we are here? and if you want to make this country the same as where you came from, so you feel more at home. Think again It will not happen.

And? Why so emotional? Its just about wearing a helmet? Some simply do it, some refuse to do it and some others think before every trip if there is a need to do it laugh.png

I ran over a dog in the UK when I was 16 years old.

I still remember the road passing by eyes at about 30km/h x 2 inches away from my face. It was a Stadium helmet which was about 30 quid back in 1983.

I own my life to that <deleted> 30 quid helmet. The chin guard was destroyed but my mouth survived, unfortunately for some.

I really need to wear proper bike clothing but its too hot.

Interestingly, I followed two motorbike cops through Bukit Timah ( Singapore ) recently. They were wearing cotton pants, and shirt. No gloves !!! but big boots like a Arnold "I'll be back,,,to shag the maid " Schwarztenegger.

Keeping on topic......here's a great song.

Edited by soihok

what I find bery strange here and could be a contributing factor in the helmet debate is how the police enforce the law, it's almost like if they are not doing a helmet road check then ignore it, I believe this is a big problem here, it's like they only respond to law breakers if that specific law is what they are sent to enforce, perhaps if someone told them they could enforce the law at all times and did that then there might just be a glimmer of hope, I have seen cops riding around passing many many people not wearing helmets and they totally ignore it perhaps if they responded by enforcng all of the law at all times we might see a change, it's like they are told to go and check for helmets and that is all they do for the duration......................observations in Pattaya could be different elsewhere

And? Why so emotional? Its just about wearing a helmet? Some simply do it, some refuse to do it and some others think before every trip if there is a need to do it laugh.png

Not emotional at all. Are you not saying the same things as I wrote?

what I find bery strange here and could be a contributing factor in the helmet debate is how the police enforce the law, it's almost like if they are not doing a helmet road check then ignore it, I believe this is a big problem here, it's like they only respond to law breakers if that specific law is what they are sent to enforce, perhaps if someone told them they could enforce the law at all times and did that then there might just be a glimmer of hope, I have seen cops riding around passing many many people not wearing helmets and they totally ignore it perhaps if they responded by enforcng all of the law at all times we might see a change, it's like they are told to go and check for helmets and that is all they do for the duration......................observations in Pattaya could be different elsewhere

theres a dual carriage way on one of my routes that bikes are not alowed to pass under ,that law is enforced about twice a month

for the other 28 days per month you can ride that carriage way and often i have passed by police in a pick up or on their bikes but

since they arent cracking down on that particular day they make no effort to ask me to pull over etc

if they do catch me ,i know its just a small fine and so does everybody else so theres no serious incentive not to take the shortcut 28 days per month

the whole tea money thing and buying your way out is stopping the laws being taken seriously ,thais pay even less for fines and there

is no working system to record repeat offenders so the police have no idea who is playing the system and who isnt

I saw a good example in Samui. On my first visit there in 2007 the helmet law were new and the police really enforced the new law. Everybody was using helmet as far as I could see and it's a quite small island. On my visit two years later something have happened, there was rarely use of helmets and no police checks and thats still the situation. So I suppose there must be some kind of choice from the local police...