Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

I ride without a helmet every day, simply cause I like it

I do not believe these horror pics/movies work, just as I do not think the ones on cigarette packs make smokers quit

In a country where we as foreigners have no right to free hospital care, my riding without a helmet is my problem only, and i will continue to enjoy it.

On the other hand I do not smoke, so my survival chance is higher than a smokersintheclub.gif

Foreigners registered in a house book are entitled to health care under the Govts 30 bht card sheme.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear one of those small beany style helmets when I'm out on my bike. I hit a Fortuner last January at about 100kph which was hard enough to bend the frame, forks, front wheel, etc and to knock myself out for 20 mins, but other than concussion, bruises on my face and a few loosened teeth, no major damage to my head, so even a cheap crap helmet like that can make some difference. I guess should probably replace it, but I kind of like it looking a bit battered.

I do not believe these horror pics/movies work, just as I do not think the ones on cigarette packs make smokers quit

In a country where we as foreigners have no right to free hospital care, my riding without a helmet is my problem only, and i will continue to enjoy it.

On the other hand I do not smoke, so my survival chance is higher than a smokersintheclub.gif

Foreigners registered in a house book are entitled to health care under the Govts 30 bht card sheme.

i dont know if foreigners should be taking advantage of 30 thb medical care schemes

goverment hospitals are sorry places and the resources are stretched thin enough as it is

poor peple lie in pain for hours waiting until the doctor can get around and it takes a ot longer to process

a farang because normaly only the doctors have decent english

My kids even wear helmets on their pushbikes (not allowed on the public road either - just moo bahn lane to the shop (100 yards) and back or ride around the drive way) - brought them from the UK on a trip. Also I have 2 bike helmets. A full face gold-kite motorcycle helmet from the UK and an open face Thai one. Bought the open face Thai one when I had to pick up my bike a few years back and forgot my helmet, so bought one for 200 baht or so. I used the Thai one sometimes when on rented step throughs as full face is a bit much on a step through. I also have a proper motorbike jacket (with body armour) that I wear when riding (and never in flip flops!) - also from the UK (Heine Geiricke)

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Is that right...? I jut had the ampur issue me a yellow tambien ban even though my wife is the official owner and has a blue book. I didn't realize that now I'm entitled to 30thb health care. Totally off topic but I would love to get more info on this..

Is that right...? I jut had the ampur issue me a yellow tambien ban even though my wife is the official owner and has a blue book. I didn't realize that now I'm entitled to 30thb health care. Totally off topic but I would love to get more info on this..

go to a govt hospital between 8am and 4pm and you wil pay hardly anything anyway

its normaly about 500 thb to get a small wound taken care off + a few baht for medicine

go to a govt hospital between 8am and 4pm and you wil pay hardly anything anyway

its normaly about 500 thb to get a small wound taken care off + a few baht for medicine

Expensive plaster!

My cousin came for a visit yesterday. Stubbed his toe on the way in to Warm Up Cafe (CM - was actually in the streeet where they had taken a lamp post away and left the bolts sticking out of the ground), his toe was bleeding (flip flops - bloody tourists lol) - staff got out the first aid, cleaned it with Hydrogen Peroxide and then treated it with iodine on a cotton wool bud before putting on 3 plasters completely covering his toe - free! Sometimes it just pays to ask where ever you are when you have a little mishap.

Edited by wolf5370

its not JUST a plaster LOL

for that price you get acessed by the triage nurse

then a consultation by a doctor

then stitches /wound cleaning /disinfection/dressing by the nurses

then a tetanus shot

and lastly some antibiotics + painkillers to take home

if you think 500 thb is too much for all that you should move to cambodia ;)

My kids even wear helmets on their pushbikes (not allowed on the public road either - just moo bahn lane to the shop (100 yards) and back or ride around the drive way) - brought them from the UK on a trip. Also I have 2 bike helmets. A full face gold-kite motorcycle helmet from the UK and an open face Thai one. Bought the open face Thai one when I had to pick up my bike a few years back and forgot my helmet, so bought one for 200 baht or so. I used the Thai one sometimes when on rented step throughs as full face is a bit much on a step through. I also have a proper motorbike jacket (with body armour) that I wear when riding (and never in flip flops!) - also from the UK (Heine Geiricke)

I take my hat off too you, ooooops, sorry, helmet. Dee Ma. clap2.gif

I wear one of those small beany style helmets when I'm out on my bike. I hit a Fortuner last January at about 100kph which was hard enough to bend the frame, forks, front wheel, etc and to knock myself out for 20 mins, but other than concussion, bruises on my face and a few loosened teeth, no major damage to my head, so even a cheap crap helmet like that can make some difference. I guess should probably replace it, but I kind of like it looking a bit battered.

Once a helmet has been crashed in, it really should be replaced regardless of whether it looks good tatterred. The foam liner inside the helmet broke apart to dissipate the force of the crash to prevent the energy from being transferred to your head. Externally it may appear OK, but in another crash it will not be able to absorb the energy.

I wouldn't call it a helmet,but I wear it every time I take the pcx out.

It's better than nothing.

Yes it's better than nothing. Scraped a beautiful young girl off the road outside my house, head injuries, had a helmet, BUT, no strap cos cannot talk on the phone with a strap. cowboy.gif

And my 5 month old son has never been in our motorbike.

Actually that's not a bad idea, would not work with the Honda Click though as the under seat stowage compartment is fairly small, given enough KY lubricant you might wedge a new born in there though.

And my 5 month old son has never been in our motorbike.

Actually that's not a bad idea, would not work with the Honda Click though as the under seat stowage compartment is fairly small, given enough KY lubricant you might wedge a new born in there though.

Attach a pram and tow it?

The Thai government applies punitive rates of duty to imported [read:high quality] helmets. Make of that what you will.

Mine came in boxes with my wife's stuff when we moved back here a number of years ago - got it import tax free as her shipping. Cycle helmets I brought in in my suitcase. :D

The Thai government applies punitive rates of duty to imported [read:high quality] helmets. Make of that what you will.

Mine came in boxes with my wife's stuff when we moved back here a number of years ago - got it import tax free as her shipping. Cycle helmets I brought in in my suitcase. biggrin.png

Yes, I got my old FM (Italian) helmet sent out by regular post. It arrived at the front desk of my apartment within 2 weeks.

But actually, I was mainly referring to brand new foreign-made helmets like Shoei, Arai, etc. They are subject to high rates of tax.

Mine came in boxes with my wife's stuff when we moved back here a number of years ago - got it import tax free as her shipping. Cycle helmets I brought in in my suitcase. biggrin.png

Yes, I got my old FM (Italian) helmet sent out by regular post. It arrived at the front desk of my apartment within 2 weeks.

But actually, I was mainly referring to brand new foreign-made helmets like Shoei, Arai, etc. They are subject to high rates of tax.

Wonder if they could be got from Asean countries direct, and thus without the taxes ?

Before I never went out without a helmet. But I must admit, the longer I am here the more I do go without. It is always near my home. Maybe the 7-11 less than 1 minute away and never on busy streets but, yes, I should . . .

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Before I never went out without a helmet. But I must admit, the longer I am here the more I do go without. It is always near my home. Maybe the 7-11 less than 1 minute away and never on busy streets but, yes, I should . . .

We want you safe and well, so eeer, yes you should. drunk.gif

I always wore an open face helmet because a full face helmet is too hot and makes me feel claustrophobic. Then a friend (?) sent me a very gruesome photo of a farang who had his entire jaw torn off. I started shopping for a full face helmet that I could wear. I had no luck until I found a Nolan Air. It has a removable chin guard that absolutely does not interfere with my vision. It meets the European safety standards for a full faced helmet. It is also the very best ventilated helmet that I have ever worn. I can actually feel the air circulating.

they are not differnt to any other so called luxury goods

i imported some stuff last week and got a customs bill for triple the value , we decided to fight it because we had proof of price and credit card statement

filled in a dispute form in post office on saturday and today the phone rings ,is it ok if we reduce your bill from 3400 to 1100 ?

yes,thats more like it ,ok,they will be delivered in a couple of days.......jap.gif

another thing is nobody at the collection centre spoke english

the dispute forms are only in thai also and i assume must be filled in in thai ,they must be accompanied

by 2 photocopys of a thai id card ,the customs officer who called to eventually

haggle the price was speaking in thai also so unless your thai is pretty sharp or someone is helping you

may have a bit of a rollercoaster trying to get your packages........

luckily everything else i have imported has came through without being held to ransom though intheclub.gif

I never ride without a helmet unless it's an empty piece of road and I want photos of myself that are recognizeable... But, I've used one of those useless cheap helmets that come with rental bikes.

I know of at least two former Thai girl friends who died because they wouldn't wear a helmet. Both died of simple head injuries and a blood clot on the brain that was not recognized in time.

anybody riding a motorbike without a helmet is STUPID IN 7 YEARS I HAVE HAD 2 ACCIDENTS WITH BIKES BOTH TIMES MY HELMET BROKE BUT NOT MY HEAD

yes I must be stupid

drink beer

drink Jack Daniels

chase women

ride without a helmet

been doing it all for some 35 years, the beer and no helmet thing every single day

not true, didnt like JD until some 5-8 years agogiggle.gif

people smoking are stupid, but I am sure they know itintheclub.gif

anybody riding a motorbike without a helmet is STUPID IN 7 YEARS I HAVE HAD 2 ACCIDENTS WITH BIKES BOTH TIMES MY HELMET BROKE BUT NOT MY HEAD

yes I must be stupid

drink beer

drink Jack Daniels

chase women

ride without a helmet

been doing it all for some 35 years, the beer and no helmet thing every single day

not true, didnt like JD until some 5-8 years agogiggle.gif

people smoking are stupid, but I am sure they know itintheclub.gif

Yes I am one angry.png , BUT, got through all the instant life threatening stuff so on borrowed time a fag is great. drunk.gif