Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

People who are wearing helmets get killed everyday.....and many more are left as quadraplegics. All you pro helmet pee brains need to realise helmets don't save lives. Avoiding sudden stops (accidents) saves lives.

Those injuries occurrs when you go too fast and wipe out. Helmets prevent severe injuries at moderate speed or whe you just wipe out by yourself. NOTHING can save you in an accident when going too fast. It's really funny how people thinks that wearing a helmet makes you invincible, it just increase your chance of surviving. Just like airbags.

The downside is that, in some cases, you might ended up paralysed or missing limbs.

The best form of protection is whats in your head. Ride safe, ride smart.

• Like 1

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I do ride my scoot around the village without, I like the choice although it is enforced sometimes usually at the end of the month so the helmet is underseat, all be the Honda freebie.

I still want a bigger bike as well and I will wear my fullface Caberg when going out of the village, summer gloves, a lightweight leather jacket, jeans and angle boots.

Many would say I tempt fate and yes, I agree but that's the choice I am able to take here mainly because it's hot.

In UK I starting wearing a helmet before it was made compulsory but wore it when I decided I was going for a blast.

It was good to have the choice especially summer time, winter weather your only too glad to fully clad.

Of coarse it's safer to wear a helmet that conforms to safety standards and it's safer to wear fully protected MotoGP airbag type suits, back protectors, kidney belts, kevlar socks and boots, gloves, and neck collar protectors, but in Thailand. crying.gif

Assessment, Skill, Competents and Confidents in your abilities are the words I guess I'm looking for, sadly many people are not capable of this.

This is fair info :- http://www.smarter-u..._MC_Helmets.pdf

Ride to live, K.

Edited by Kwasaki

Those injuries occurrs when you go too fast and wipe out. Helmets prevent severe injuries at moderate speed or whe you just wipe out by yourself. NOTHING can save you in an accident when going too fast. It's really funny how people thinks that wearing a helmet makes you invincible, it just increase your chance of surviving. Just like airbags.

The downside is that, in some cases, you might ended up paralysed or missing limbs.

The best form of protection is whats in your head. Ride safe, ride smart.

Hard to believe this thread is still going strong, so I'll throw another log on the fire.

Within the same year a co work slid on some oil, on a bicycle riding along at a jogging speed - no helmet, he died. The next year, our neighbors 2 year old, fell over while in a stationary bicycle while in a rear bike seat. She suffered permanent brain damage to a very high degree.

Co worker at the same mill, friend and roommate went down at 200 plus kph on his less than year old new to market YZF750, helmet and gear saved him. He only received some minor bruising, yet totaled his bike; but yes if there had been a car parked in the way of his long dirt slide he likely would have died. That YZ was the first street bike I rode that blew my mind, too bad that bike didn't even make it to a year old. It was also the bike, and I put some good miles on it, that made me decide to never purchase a super sport.

OP, I do ride my scoot around the village without, I like the choice although it is enforced sometimes usually at the end of the month so the helmet is underseat, all be the Honda freebie.

I still want a bigger bike as well and I will wear my fullface Caberg when going out of the village, summer gloves, a lightweight leather jacket, jeans and angle boots.

Many would say I tempt fate and yes, I agree but that's the choice I am able to take here mainly because it's hot.

In UK I starting wearing a helmet before it was made compulsory but wore it when I decided I was going for a blast.

It was good to have the choice especially summer time, winter weather your only too glad to fully clad.

Of coarse it's safer to wear a helmet that conforms to safety standards and it's safer to wear fully protected MotoGP airbag type suits, back protectors, kidney belts, kevlar socks and boots, gloves, and neck collar protectors, but in Thailand. crying.gif

Assessment, Skill, Competents and Confidents in your abilities are the words I guess I'm looking for, sadly many people are not capable of this.

Ride to live, K.

Reminds me of my Lambretta days of the 60's, no helmet, just a pork pie hat, and skimming down the road on my ass on ice. Nooooooooo road salt in those days. cowboy.gif

Ride to live, K.

Reminds me of my Lambretta days of the 60's, no helmet, just a pork pie hat, and skimming down the road on my ass on ice. Nooooooooo road salt in those days. cowboy.gif

Oh memories I loved my Lambretta Li 150 but sooo wanted the SX 200(I think that is what it was called..

Ride to live, K.

Oh memories I loved my Lambretta Li 150 but sooo wanted the SX 200(I think that is what it was called..

I started with an Li 150, went on to a TV175 which l fuel injected then a Vespa SS180, great times and camaraderie eh.cowboy.gif

in my job (police) and my hobby (motor racing and some bike racing "road races not track") I was also a marshall many times at the TT and various other venues, I have seen some horific accidents where people lost their lives, I've also seen many lives saved buy people wearing safety gear, it will not work all of the time but I'd say most of the time if you have an off your chances of avoiding serious injury are signifcantly improved - that is the truth, other factors that are also in the mix are driving safely and within the limits of the conditions, I am an advanced driver (had to be for my job) and would call myself very safe, I have seen some horrific driving here and and have on occasion refused to ride with certain people that I regard as outside of my own comfort/safety zone (up to them so called "pro riders" makes me laugh actually"), as already mentioned here and on other threads - no matter how good you are or even worse - how good you think you are - taking to the road on a motorbike is "dangerous" you can lessen those dangers but will never remove the risk entirely no matter who you are, drive safely - wear a helemt and if possible some safety clothing (which will save you a lot of hurt but not your life) and remember drive within your own limits not someone elses

be safe

Edited by smedly

in my job (police)

Now that explains a lot!

You weren't in the British police were you?

what you mean - that explains a lot, lets keep this on topic buddy, no need for this to become personal, if you want to talk about western police then start a new thread, I will not be making a contribution :)

in my job (police)

Now that explains a lot!

what you mean - that explains a lot, lets keep this on topic buddy, no need for this to become personal, if you want to talk about western police then start a new thread, I will not be making a contribution smile.png

Not UK, no buddies in UK, we have chums. drunk.gif

in my job (police)

Now that explains a lot!

what you mean - that explains a lot, lets keep this on topic buddy, no need for this to become personal, if you want to talk about western police then start a new thread, I will not be making a contribution smile.png

Just from your other posts in the bike forum, I could see you being a police officer. I don't want to start a thread on it, you said you were a TT marshal so I thought you may be in the British Police? Were you a Police bike rider?

in my job (police)

Now that explains a lot!

Not UK, no buddies in UK, we have chums. drunk.gif

And I thought you were American!

guys this thread is not about me, if you want to take it to a personal level then you could try a PM

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it, and BTW there are many things in western law enforcement I strongly disagree with e.g. speed cameras but lets not go there this thread is about thailand and wearing helmets and road safety here.

Enough already! the last thing I wanted to do was post a comment on this topic., I have been riding (not driving) motorcycles for about forty five years and anybody that claims they always wear a helmet is on a par with a golfer who say"s they have has never cheated in a game! Rules as well as laws are in place to protect people that do not have the capacity to think for themselves and ascertain the risks of what they are about to do.I wear a helmet most of the time but if I am riding to the farm (about 1 km away on a quiet country road) I dont, And yes that is a risk I choose to take! And yes again a jumbo jet may fall from the sky and land on top of my unprotected head .But life should not be 100 percent regulated like some would prefer .But we as Farangs in this country all need to step back from time to time and review the reasons why we are here? and if you want to make this country the same as where you came from, so you feel more at home. Think again It will not happen.

And? Why so emotional? Its just about wearing a helmet? Some simply do it, some refuse to do it and some others think before every trip if there is a need to do it laugh.png

Not emotional at all. Are you not saying the same things as I wrote?

OK, it sounded emotional to me. Maybe i was wrong. But if i read comments of people trying to to make wearing a helmet seem ridiculous, then i guess its just this "i fear losing my face" trap. Its not about "airplanes falling from the sky", its about you falling down and landing on your head. And you seem to forget that there is a law here in LOS saying that you have to wear a helmet. This law is made by thai government for public good. This is what we should talk about. Not about farang wanting to change LOS.

OK. you must have had speakers turned up too high eh? I also did not make any ridiculous comments about people wearing helmets. What I did say was that it is about ascertaining the risks before i ride and accepting the outcome of that action, the falling jet is something we cannot account for (but sometimes it happens) And the law is there yes ! like I said about golfers they have all broken the rules at some time and probably continue to do so and when we get caught we pay the penalty. Hoping you will understand.

OK, it sounded emotional to me. Maybe i was wrong. But if i read comments of people trying to to make wearing a helmet seem ridiculous, then i guess its just this "i fear losing my face" trap. Its not about "airplanes falling from the sky", its about you falling down and landing on your head. And you seem to forget that there is a law here in LOS saying that you have to wear a helmet. This law is made by thai government for public good. This is what we should talk about. Not about farang wanting to change LOS.

OK. you must have had speakers turned up too high eh? I also did not make any ridiculous comments about people wearing helmets. What I did say was that it is about ascertaining the risks before i ride and accepting the outcome of that action, the falling jet is something we cannot account for (but sometimes it happens) And the law is there yes ! like I said about golfers they have all broken the rules at some time and probably continue to do so and when we get caught we pay the penalty. Hoping you will understand.

I have never heard of any airplane or jet falling onto people riding a motorbike. And i do not play golf. Sorry, but i have no clue what you are talking about. But if you refuse to wear a helmet its OK for me smile.png

I have never heard of any airplane or jet falling onto people riding a motorbike. And i do not play golf. Sorry, but i have no clue what you are talking about. But if you refuse to wear a helmet its OK for me smile.png

555 please take off that silly red nose.

Most thai motorcycle helmets are next to useless anyway, a piece of thin plastic, often not fastened on. You are almost better wearing none.

I strongly disagree- a crappy helmet is still better than no helmet!

A Thai style/crappy helmet sure help those 2 welsh lads in Pattaya a while ago ....................................................

As to the OP, I have had too many friends die whilst riding scooters, I refuse to mount one these days but back in the days when I did putting on a helmet (crappy Thai style) was only dictated if I was crossing Sukhumvit road or not.

I may be wrong, but I've this faint memory of a report stating that cheap plastics helmets can bounce and might cause more injury to the neck in a low-impact crash than otherwise would be sustained.

On occassion I ride without a helmet; short distances in very small quiet towns up-country. I never ride without a helmet for more than a click, and I feel exposed without one.

guys this thread is not about me, if you want to take it to a personal level then you could try a PM

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it, and BTW there are many things in western law enforcement I strongly disagree with e.g. speed cameras but lets not go there this thread is about thailand and wearing helmets and road safety here.

shit, five-o...hide the weed...lol

about cameras, there's actually a member here that has sold a camera system to the thai police. Google PIPS camera thailand to figure out who it is.

555 please take off that silly red nose.

OK. Comparing the risk of having a head injury while riding a motorbike with the risk of an airplane crash is very farfetched. You seem to live in your world, i live in mine. No problem. Really :)

I ride without a helmet every day, simply cause I like it

I do not believe these horror pics/movies work, just as I do not think the ones on cigarette packs make smokers quit

In a country where we as foreigners have no right to free hospital care, my riding without a helmet is my problem only, and i will continue to enjoy it.

On the other hand I do not smoke, so my survival chance is higher than a smokersintheclub.gif

One serious mistake and you are for the next world, well before smoking could get you. Head injury is acute, sudden and frequently lethal ( or maybe worse, brain deadening). Smoking takes it's time to kill you and you die slowly. It's not a matter of either or, riding on roads here in Thailand without a helmet is plain stupid

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it,

Its not that they hate them for enforcing the law, it is that the laws which they are enforcing have gone way over the top and out of control. Plus the fact that individual poice judgement has gone out of the window and we are left with robotic humanity drained policemen who criminalise old grannies going 1mph over the speed limit and serial killers alike, almost in the same manner (although most of the time they prefer the grannies as they are easier to catch).

• Like 1

Get over it guys. there are millions of people riding in Thailand without a helmet everyday and yes sometmes there are accidents. What are the stats of people dying or getting serious injury in Thailand everyday because they didn't wear a helmet? A few hundred? maybe a thousand or 2? Still the odds are very small for the odd trip to the local shop. many of us farangs are willing to take the risk and some are not. Up to the individual. Noone is saying that a helmet doesn't help.

I read on here people talking about not being the first away from a red light. How many times in Thailand does a light change from red to green on any given day in Thailand? It must be tens of millions, and how many accidents happened because of that? Some sure, but what are the odds? The best advice is just to bloody look if you are first away from the lights. It's not rocket science.

I think many people living here like the fact laws are not enforced as much as they are in our own countries, and i for one hope that never happens. Yes one day something may happen to me that the laws in my own country could have altered, but i accept that because i choose to live here for those reasons.

The fact that there are so many bike riders here compared to our countries probably makes it safer to ride a bike as other road users are far more aware.

At the end of the day if it shocks and horrifies you so much then go home and take your PC ideas with you.

Edited by macknife
  • Like 2

shit, five-o...hide the weed...lol

about cameras, there's actually a member here that has sold a camera system to the thai police. Google PIPS camera thailand to figure out who it is.

a cop tried to get me with it well he wasn't quick enough lol at 260kmph, further down the highway there was a road block and I hot stopped, I asked him for the evidence on the camera for me doing a claimed 200kmph and after several frustrating radio calls he said - no have

Edited by smedly

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it,

Its not that they hate them for enforcing the law, it is that the laws which they are enforcing have gone way over the top and out of control. Plus the fact that individual poice judgement has gone out of the window and we are left with robotic humanity drained policemen who criminalise old grannies going 1mph over the speed limit and serial killers alike, almost in the same manner (although most of the time they prefer the grannies as they are easier to catch).

OT reply - I tend to agree with you except for the last point, there is still some good police work going on which most people are not exposed too, most of what the general public see are traffic offences and public order, where the whole thing fails miserably is the court system and how criminals are dealt with, it's easy to understand in the States where you have federal offences but anyway not what this thread is about

Get over it guys. there are millions of people riding in Thailand without a helmet everyday and yes sometmes there are accidents. What are the stats of people dying or getting serious injury in Thailand everyday because they didn't wear a helmet? A few hundred? maybe a thousand or 2? Still the odds are very small for the odd trip to the local shop. many of us farangs are willing to take the risk and some are not. Up to the individual. Noone is saying that a helmet doesn't help.

I read on here people talking about not being the first away from a red light. How many times in Thailand does a light change from red to green on any given day in Thailand? It must be tens of millions, and how many accidents happened because of that? Some sure, but what are the odds? The best advice is just to bloody look if you are first away from the lights. It's not rocket science.

I think many people living here like the fact laws are not enforced as much as they are in our own countries, and i for one hope that never happens. Yes one day something may happen to me that the laws in my own country could have altered, but i accept that because i choose to live here for those reasons.

The fact that there are so many bike riders here compared to our countries probably makes it safer to ride a bike as other road users are far more aware.

At the end of the day if it shocks and horrifies you so much then go home and take your PC ideas with you.

This ''reads'' like you haven't been here very long, but l wish you good. cowboy.gif

This ''reads'' like you haven't been here very long, but l wish you good. cowboy.gif

I didn't see your " like this " buddy cool.png I like his take on it though and a resonable view point about helmets in Thailand.

You was a mod and I was a rocker biker, what did you guys call police, we call em " pigs ", PM reply probably best.biggrin.png

Thai people stopped for not wearing helmets and fined by the police wonder how they refer to them.??

I didn't see your " like this " buddy cool.png I like his take on it though and a resonable view point about helmets in Thailand.

You was a mod and I was a rocker biker, what did you guys call police, we call em " pigs ", PM reply probably best.biggrin.png

Thai people stopped for not wearing helmets and fined by the police wonder how they refer to them.??

Called em Rozzers, don't know why but l met quite a few, especially in court cowboy.gif. .

Remember the days when caught for speeding or excessive noise you went in front of the judge.angry.png

disrespect for the police is common among the young masses because they thought it was fun to break the law but not so good when caught, most grew out of it as they got older and some never matured and continued right into adulthood - they are referred to as criminals smile.png

I have seen many collegues killed and seriously injured in the line of duty trying to protect the general public from harm, I have also seen a few bent cops and have no respect.

Edited by smedly

disrespect for the police is common among the young masses because they thought it was fun to break the law but not so good when caught, most grew out of it as they got older and some never matured and continued right into adulthood - they are referred to as criminals smile.png

and police are commonly referred to as " the filth " :D