Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

Mainly because they are the face of the law and in many cases the law is stupid or wrongly/unfairly implemented. Also, many cops have an attitude problem, treating everyone like criminals. People don't just disrespect the Police because they are "criminals", it is about time the police took responsibility for their actions and image which causes ordinary people to disrespect or even hate them.

• Like 1

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and police are commonly referred to as " the filth " biggrin.png

if this is going to turn into a slate the police thread then you are truely showing your imature colors, you want a dig at me then come meet me in person instead of hiding behind a keyboard, I know who the filth are I've had great exoerience of them :)

Mainly because they are the face of the law and in many cases the law is stupid or wrongly/unfairly implemented. Also, many cops have an attitude problem, treating everyone like criminals. People don't just disrespect the Police because they are "criminals", it is about time the police took responsibility for their actions and image which causes ordinary people to disrespect or even hate them.

I actually don't disagree with most of what you said, it's not a perfect system and is open to the humanism that we experience everywhere in our lives but don't tell me that when you were ever in trouble you never called them for assistance smile.png

lets get back on topic here or start another thread about western police forces

Edited by smedly

and police are commonly referred to as " the filth " biggrin.png

if this is going to turn into a slate the police thread then you are truely showing your imature colors,

I don't think he was having a dig at you personally, it is a fact that they are referred to as that in many places. In the UK a lot of police ride bikes in their spare time and you would never know they were police out of work.

Anyhow, the Police (as an institution) deserve to be slated a lot of the time, they would be right on to you for not wearing a helmet, but if your helmet was stolen they wouldn't bother to do anything about it (at least in the UK), even if it was worth $500. Like I said, time they take responsibility for their image problems rather than throwing the blame elsewhere.

The difference in Thailand is that the police don't care whether you wear a helmet or if it's stolen. Luckily I have a brain and can decide to wear one at all times without the Police trying to tell me what to do. People have no respect for police here for a different reason, they do nothing at all!

Edited by madjbs

I guess so

Over the years I've been exposed to many frustrating situations, sometimes the public think we can work miracles and sometimes I have wished I could, I know you're generalising in your example of helmet theft but what you need to consider is - what exactly you think could be done in some cases, you have to understand how crime detection and investigation works to be able to understand what is reasonably possible, I am surprised sometimes at just how good the Thai police are at catching criminals, setting asside all the negative stuff on some occasions they do stellar work - e.g. having a network of MB taxi drivers with radio's around the city goes a long way in assisting the arrests of criminals

True, I understand that. But, if they are not seen to do something people are not going to be happy, even if the chances of catching thieves etc.. are slim. People tend to see a lot of people getting speeding tickets etc.. but not much action elsewhere. That is bound to affect their opinion on them. To be fair, I think the Police in the UK have been trying to improve their image recently, which I think is one of the reason they have started letting all the reality shows follow them around.

I actually don't disagree with most of what you said, it's not a perfect system and is open to the humanism that we experience everywhere in our lives but don't tell me that when you were ever in trouble you never called them for assistance smile.png

lets get back on topic here or start another thread about western police forces

0a4loxddty.jpg

• Like 1

Get over it guys. there are millions of people riding in Thailand without a helmet everyday and yes sometmes there are accidents. What are the stats of people dying or getting serious injury in Thailand everyday because they didn't wear a helmet? A few hundred? maybe a thousand or 2? Still the odds are very small for the odd trip to the local shop. many of us farangs are willing to take the risk and some are not. Up to the individual. Noone is saying that a helmet doesn't help.

I read on here people talking about not being the first away from a red light. How many times in Thailand does a light change from red to green on any given day in Thailand? It must be tens of millions, and how many accidents happened because of that? Some sure, but what are the odds? The best advice is just to bloody look if you are first away from the lights. It's not rocket science.

I think many people living here like the fact laws are not enforced as much as they are in our own countries, and i for one hope that never happens. Yes one day something may happen to me that the laws in my own country could have altered, but i accept that because i choose to live here for those reasons.

The fact that there are so many bike riders here compared to our countries probably makes it safer to ride a bike as other road users are far more aware.

At the end of the day if it shocks and horrifies you so much then go home and take your PC ideas with you.

The problem is. one mistake ( not necessarily yours) without a helmet could be your last. Yes you can play the 'it's a small risk' game, but the CONSEQUENCES are total. I've no problem if you don't wear a helmet when riding, it's Darwin at work!. Most of the fatalities here are to young motorcyclists who don't wear helmets.

guys this thread is not about me, if you want to take it to a personal level then you could try a PM

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it, and BTW there are many things in western law enforcement I strongly disagree with e.g. speed cameras but lets not go there this thread is about thailand and wearing helmets and road safety here.

shit, five-o...hide the weed...lol

about cameras, there's actually a member here that has sold a camera system to the thai police. Google PIPS camera thailand to figure out who it is.

a cop tried to get me with it well he wasn't quick enough lol at 260kmph, further down the highway there was a road block and I hot stopped, I asked him for the evidence on the camera for me doing a claimed 200kmph and after several frustrating radio calls he said - no have

And you think 260 kph on Thai roads is clever?. There are locals who drift out, idiots that U turn and you think it's fun? Darwin at work again

guys this thread is not about me, if you want to take it to a personal level then you could try a PM

On topic - it's quite ironic that "some" people from west hate western police because they enforce the law then they come here and complain about the Thai police not enforcing it, and BTW there are many things in western law enforcement I strongly disagree with e.g. speed cameras but lets not go there this thread is about thailand and wearing helmets and road safety here.

shit, five-o...hide the weed...lol

about cameras, there's actually a member here that has sold a camera system to the thai police. Google PIPS camera thailand to figure out who it is.

a cop tried to get me with it well he wasn't quick enough lol at 260kmph, further down the highway there was a road block and I hot stopped, I asked him for the evidence on the camera for me doing a claimed 200kmph and after several frustrating radio calls he said - no have

And you think 260 kph on Thai roads is clever?. There are locals who drift out, idiots that U turn and you think it's fun? Darwin at work again

You are generalising

My judgement is sound, you notice the word "highway" no other motorbikes infact no access at all, clear road in front no other cars and going from 140kmph to 260kph can be done in a very short distance and time, I judged it no danger to me or other road users and I know this road very well indeed...................you can think what you like - get out more :)

260kmh isn't clever on any road of the world. But you forget, some people have serious reasons for going fast... wink.png

rf88mmg8cx.jpg

• Like 1

Smedly:

You are generalising

My judgement is sound, you notice the word "highway" no other motorbikes infact no access at all, clear road in front no other cars and going from 140kmph to 260kph can be done in a very short distance and time, I judged it no danger to me or other road users and I know this road very well indeed...................you can think what you like - get out more smile.png

I get out and see them. Whatever you may think the braking distance at that speed will not be sufficient if an idiot pulls out in front of you expecting you to be travelling at 100 kph. It's not a matter of thinking, a matter of physics and reaction times. Well sooner or later you will join the Darwin awards. Have fun in the meantime, I just hope you don't take some innocent with you

By coincidence I've just been sent this clip, used by pilots to scan for other aircraft/hazards. It suggests that if you keep your eyes fixed on one spot, you suffer from 'motion induced blindness' and can miss things in your peripheral vision. Now I'm certain all those who travel at 260 kph knew this already. Try it, interesting

Get over it guys. there are millions of people riding in Thailand without a helmet everyday and yes sometmes there are accidents. What are the stats of people dying or getting serious injury in Thailand everyday because they didn't wear a helmet? A few hundred? maybe a thousand or 2? Still the odds are very small for the odd trip to the local shop. many of us farangs are willing to take the risk and some are not. Up to the individual. Noone is saying that a helmet doesn't help.

I read on here people talking about not being the first away from a red light. How many times in Thailand does a light change from red to green on any given day in Thailand? It must be tens of millions, and how many accidents happened because of that? Some sure, but what are the odds? The best advice is just to bloody look if you are first away from the lights. It's not rocket science.

I think many people living here like the fact laws are not enforced as much as they are in our own countries, and i for one hope that never happens. Yes one day something may happen to me that the laws in my own country could have altered, but i accept that because i choose to live here for those reasons.

The fact that there are so many bike riders here compared to our countries probably makes it safer to ride a bike as other road users are far more aware.

At the end of the day if it shocks and horrifies you so much then go home and take your PC ideas with you.

The problem is. one mistake ( not necessarily yours) without a helmet could be your last. Yes you can play the 'it's a small risk' game, but the CONSEQUENCES are total. I've no problem if you don't wear a helmet when riding, it's Darwin at work!. Most of the fatalities here are to young motorcyclists who don't wear helmets.

I still think his got a good view point when it comes to Thailand, the one mistake thing could involve other parts of the body too.

Most of the fatalities here are to young motorcyclists who don't wear helmets.

and not just no helmets alone the other main cause is they are not educated in the skills of riding.

I refer to a line in a previous post :-

Assessment, Skill, Competents and Confidents in your abilities are the words I guess I'm looking for, sadly many people are not capable of this.

Ride to live, K

Smedly:

You are generalising

My judgement is sound, you notice the word "highway" no other motorbikes infact no access at all, clear road in front no other cars and going from 140kmph to 260kph can be done in a very short distance and time, I judged it no danger to me or other road users and I know this road very well indeed...................you can think what you like - get out more smile.png

I get out and see them. Whatever you may think the braking distance at that speed will not be sufficient if an idiot pulls out in front of you expecting you to be travelling at 100 kph. It's not a matter of thinking, a matter of physics and reaction times. Well sooner or later you will join the Darwin awards. Have fun in the meantime, I just hope you don't take some innocent with you

well thankyou for the education, when I do 260kph I can assure you nobody else is at risk (very rarely in fact as I have rarely found anywhere near conditions safe to do it in Thailand) you are obviously way more experienced than anyone here, sitting in your room posting 24hrs a day at whoever you can ridicule - get out of the box mate and live a little, I take your comments and you are actually mostly correct but there are rare exceptions - accept that and we will get along alot better, you are preaching to the converted pal smile.png

There is no human in the history of mankind that hasn't taken a risk of some sort, stepping out the door is a risk, being born is a risk, getting on a plane is a risk, getting on a motorbike is a risk, taking a drink is a risk, walking home is a risk.....should I go on, everything you do in life has a risk level, generally speaking laws are there to protect others from your actions and on occasion protecting you from yourself, the risks are all variable and to a point we accept most of them, we also minimise our risks by doing or not doing certain things e.g wearing a helmet or seatbelt - not drinking and driving (which I deplore as it puts others at risk) smoking - crossing a road, we could talk about it for many pages on this thread

Edited by smedly

By coincidence I've just been sent this clip, used by pilots to scan for other aircraft/hazards. It suggests that if you keep your eyes fixed on one spot, you suffer from 'motion induced blindness' and can miss things in your peripheral vision. Now I'm certain all those who travel at 260 kph knew this already. Try it, interesting

At a 260 kp/h you don't fixate on one thing, and 160mph isn't that fast, a bike can come down from that speed very quick, to an experianced rider it is easily achieved and accomplished.

Smedly:

You are generalising

well thankyou for the education, when I do 260kph I can assure you nobody else is at risk (very rarely in fact as I have rarely found anywhere near conditions safe to do it in Thailand) you are obviously way more experienced than anyone here, sitting in your room posting 24hrs a day at whoever you can ridicule - get out of the box mate and live a little, I take your comments and you are actually mostly correct but there are rare exceptions - accept that and we will get along alot better, you are preaching to the converted pal smile.png

I just hope you stay away from Chiang Mai! Dream on, you have no idea. For everybody's sake just grow up and realise you are not Hamilton or Alonso in a F1 sports car on an F1 well surfaced track, and don't assume I sit all day, you seem to be responding fast so I guess you are sitting too? or can you send messages at 260kph too?

Smedly:

You are generalising

I just hope you stay away from Chiang Mai! Dream on, you have no idea. For everybody's sake just grow up and realise you are not Hamilton or Alonso in a F1 sports car on an F1 well surfaced track, and don't assume I sit all day, you seem to be responding fast so I guess you are sitting too? or can you send messages at 260kph too?

I'll let you know if I go to changmai you might need to be quick to see me lol - don't blink, I have already said a lot of what you say is true but you are also ignoring what I am saying so leave it at that buddy, keep giving to good advice as that is what it is but learn to accept that there may be occasions when you are not seeing the picture quite as it is, I am not trying to justify doing 260kmph but I have on rare occasion found it safe for myself and others to do it

I'm posting this link to give you some insight as to how fast a big bike can achieve 260kmph and slow down again, may I also say thet everything in this video I would call way too risky on a public road for me, speeding past other traffic at 180mph is quite frankly insane but there you go and this on a road where it is legal.

As you can see it is a matter of secs to go from 130kmh to 260kmh and back down without passing anything even on a busy autoban, it might offer some perspective to what I am actually talking about when I say doing 260kmph

Edited by smedly

ha ha tony you couldn't resist lol, I believe it was for a TV mortorbike show or something like that - have you seen the size of a TV studio camera, 2007 wasn't that long ago lol....now go f00k yourself in the most pleasant way possible :)

This ''reads'' like you haven't been here very long, but l wish you good. cowboy.gif

I'm sure I've been here longer than most, you on the other hand sound like you haven't been here long enough or you would know what I'm talking about. Oh and I didn't say that I don't wear a helmet when riding, I just wish some people would stop preaching to others about it.

@Msg362... You hit the nail on the head. 'Most of the fatalities here are to young motorcyclists who don't wear helmets.'

I'd wager that most of us on here don't ride like those idiots. (I'm presuming none of us are 2 week tourists renting a 1000cc) You don't see any older Thais riding like them either, they probably learnt the hard way and the rest are dead. However it is for this same reason that i see no problem if a guy wants to jump on his bike without a helmet for a short trip to the shops.

Yes you can play the 'it's a small risk' game, but the CONSEQUENCES are total.

Crashing at low speeds is not 'total'. Yes it could be but so could many other low risk actions. I've seen plenty of minor accidents where everyone just got up and rode away. Let's not scare monger too much hey.

• Like 2

Smedly: You are generalising My judgement is sound, you notice the word "highway" no other motorbikes infact no access at all, clear road in front no other cars and going from 140kmph to 260kph can be done in a very short distance and time, I judged it no danger to me or other road users and I know this road very well indeed...................you can think what you like - get out more smile.png I get out and see them. Whatever you may think the braking distance at that speed will not be sufficient if an idiot pulls out in front of you expecting you to be travelling at 100 kph. It's not a matter of thinking, a matter of physics and reaction times. Well sooner or later you will join the Darwin awards. Have fun in the meantime, I just hope you don't take some innocent with you
I'll let you know if I go to changmai you might need to be quick to see me lol - don't blink, I have already said a lot of what you say is true but you are also ignoring what I am saying so leave it at that buddy, keep giving to good advice as that is what it is but learn to accept that there may be occasions when you are not seeing the picture quite as it is, I am not trying to justify doing 260kmph but I have on rare occasion found it safe for myself and others to do it

Ok no worries, hope you survive!!! Just avoid the 1317 in Chiang Mai please!!biggrin.png

Good god was that the smallest camera they could find back then? Old camera for old bike I guess....

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png " speeding past other traffic at 180mph is quite frankly insane " laugh.png Noooo it's not, parts of the German autobahns are quite safe, done it in Germany and a police Porche pulled up along side me, and the police observer gestured to me to slow down not nick me.offtopic.gif Back on topic I was wearing a helmet though.rolleyes.gif

This is Thailand. I have seen what hitting a dog did to my Ford Focus grill and what they call a front bumper when I was going about 120 KPH. What would happen if a dog runs in front of a motorcycle at 200 plus KPH? Instead of having all sorts of plastic junk left on the road, that would be you sliding down the highway.

A chicken tore the passenger side mirror off my friend's Vigo while he was doing under 90 KPH. I always watch carefully for dogs while riding at 70 KPH. Usually you can't see them until it's too late. You never know when the dog decides to do the doggy dart. Years ago I nearly hit an elephant while riding near Jomtien. There are NOT supposed to be elephants crossing the road at midnight but there it was. I guess it depends whether a rider is bullet proof and how lucky he feels.

very very true and is always a big risk for anyone riding a motorbike, hitting a large of small animal is very very dangerous and doing anything over 80kph could result in disaster, obviously the larger the animal the worse it gets relative to speed, to be avoided at all costs but sometimes things are unavoidable..............we know the risks, just like flying - a plane can hit a flock of birds and go down .......... does it stop you from flying ?

This is Thailand. I have seen what hitting a dog did to my Ford Focus grill and what they call a front bumper when I was going about 120 KPH. What would happen if a dog runs in front of a motorcycle at 200 plus KPH? Instead of having all sorts of plastic junk left on the road, that would be you sliding down the highway.

A chicken tore the passenger side mirror off my friend's Vigo while he was doing under 90 KPH. I always watch carefully for dogs while riding at 70 KPH. Usually you can't see them until it's too late. You never know when the dog decides to do the doggy dart. Years ago I nearly hit an elephant while riding near Jomtien. There are NOT supposed to be elephants crossing the road at midnight but there it was. I guess it depends whether a rider is bullet proof and how lucky he feels.

i remember one night years ago ,i was coming back to bkk via nothaburi and very tired from driving all day and also nearly hit a Mxthxr Fxxxkxxg ELEPHANT on the road around midnight !!!

my wife thought i was jokeing when i told her but hitting an elephant at 120kmph on a motorcycle is not going to be a win for the motorcycle or any other vehicle :D

In my case I KNOW I don't have the ability to ride like the guys in the videos. I've had too many narrow misses and more than a few low speed accidents to know what road rash feels like. Right now I've been nursing a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder for the past 3 months.

Last year I ran over a small black dog at night on my Phantom and broke its back. I had to finish it off by strangling it to death with my hands. That was NOT a pleasant experience. For some strange reason I managed to keep the bike upright. However, I'd sure hate to hit anything at 70 kmph or more. There are valid reasons why I always wear a helmet... even one of my crap ones. And, just to back up what I wrote I had two previous Thai girl friends who died from head injuries after a simple, low speed accident... but no helmet. Both lovely young ladies were in their early twenties. I could post photos of them but that would be inappropriate.

I'd LOVE to ride like there was no risk, but reality and mortality starts to seep into the cranium after a while. If I ride like a pussy now it's because I've learned what happens when the unexpected happens.

A couple of weeks ago coming back from Mae Rim at night I was waiting at a red light, along with about 6 or more other riders. I was at the front of the row and took off quickly as the light changed to green, but I still wasn't quick enough. A rider on a big bike came roaring past at high speed and blew right by us all. He was obviously timing his pass as the light turned green. Had any one of us moved slightly off our direct path there would have been a REAL mess. But, I see that all the time. I pass others, but only when it's reasonably safe to do so, but sure notice a lot of risk takers.