To Chiang Mai By Train From Bkk!

aridion

I am flying into Bkk on a Saturday morning and hope to train it to CM. From the lonely planet book it says to book the tickets a week in advance. Is this really necessary? Is the sleeper train that busy in early April? Can we rock up at the train station and get a ticket to go to CM the same day?

Thanks for any help,

Aridion.

I wouldn't bank on it.......there will be a mass exodus from BKK on the 10th and 11th of April......that will be fully booked for sure. There will also be a mass influx of people such as myself who will be flying in for Songkran.

You should be OK but why would you not want to be sure and book earlier?

I wouldn't bank on it.......there will be a mass exodus from BKK on the 10th and 11th of April......that will be fully booked for sure. There will also be a mass influx of people such as myself who will be flying in for Songkran.

Because I don't know how to book online from the UK. I have tried a google search but found nothing.

I book early any more. It used to not be that way but not so much now.

If you are going to get the sleeper train I would strongly suggest a 2nd class AC sleeper and make sure you get the lower berth. If traveling with friends then all you should get a lower berth. Much more comfy.

Something else that had changed over the past couple of years if that the trains run late. A couple of hours late is now the norm.

Because I don't know how to book online from the UK. I have tried a google search but found nothing.

See www.seat61.com - very good info for any rail travel in the world

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

God gave man a penis and a brain, unfortunately, did not give sufficient blood supply to run both at the same time.

The exodus starts earlier then that...

I traveled some 3 days before songkran to buriram before. It's a really slow and almost Buddhist meditative experience from which you never know when it's going to end.

But then my hobby is waiting, i acquired this in Thailand. It's become a great interest of mine.

We are already well within the 60 day advance purchase window for Songkhran travel. I went to Hua Lumphong earlier this month to buy tickets, arriving at 06:30 (ticket office opens at 8:30) and there were a couple hundred people waiting. Add to that there is no limit so there are brokers buying up hundreds of tickets. Needless to say I purchased air tickets; I'd recommend you do the same and make a booking NOW, maybe for Friday (6 April) morning, on Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways or Thai Air Asia.

I think it is safe to say the Friday, 6 April will be a peak travel day and you will not be able to purchase a ticket. There are cancellations and no-shows, 3rd class, etc. so there are always possibilities I guess.

unless your a light sleeper the train is fine,

on some trains the lower bed is a bit wider and has a window.

the beds are 6 foot with walls at either end.

i have always slept well after a busy day in bkk.

if you wake up too early in the morning i guess that last 3-4 hours may not be very pleasent .

i recomend it over a bus purely because you can lie down properly.

the 22:00 train gets to chiang mai around mid day.

you may find the earlier train best.

i would book it too, what happens if they get fully booked and you have to wait in bkk or have to go on a bus or train with no bed.

Air Asia on Saturday to Chiang Mai - THB 2,190 plus bag and admin fee - Depart at 1550, 1835 and 2040.

There are earlier flights but dearer.

One hour and you are there. I know which one I would choose, AA.

Sorry, I misread your post as arriving this Saturday, missed the April bit.

Check Air Asia for the date you arrive, they have a sale, came out today. Never know your luck.

Can also check Nok Air and Thai Airways to compare.