Cheap Short Terms Rentals Early Sukhumvit?

For the last couple of months my partner and I have been living in a nice little place on Sathorn 11 for about 7,000 per month. I love the apartment, but the missus just got a job as a tour guide based out of Bumrungrad Hospital and she's finding the morning commute (and the short notice calls from bloody Mongolians who want to be taken shopping RIGHT NOW yet don't understand that BKK is a little larger than Ulaanbaatar) a bit of a struggle.

When we were shopping around for an apartment when we first arrived we really wanted to stay somewhere between Suk 11-19 as my better half's sister lives on 13 and she likes to be nearby, but we couldn't find anything at a reasonable price ('reasonable' being around 10,000, based on my paltry bank balance). Yesterday, though, we viewed a place on Suk 13 (Sukhumvit Suites) for a little over 14,000 a month - a good price for the room, but there was no internet and the agent was cagey about the possibility of providing it. In the same building there were studio apartments starting from 9,000, though the agent assured us the owners wouldn't offer short term rentals (we need to head back to Mongolia in June, so we only need a place for 3-4 months).

Anyhoo...

Now we know that there are apartments on Suk 13 available around 9,000 I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how to find one in the area that would accept a short lease. As we're only here for a few more months we're not fussy about the standard of accommodation. As long as there's air con and Internet it could just be a room with a bed for all we care, and we have access to a gym and pool elsewhere. We'd be happy to go to 12-13,000.

Cheers :)

Easy way is go to a building during normal work hours and ask at reception. There may be a a building manager or the reception may know details. No luck then move on to next building. I had appointment to meet agent at a building and he never showed. Manager said no problem and showed me several apartments, one of which I took and the manager got the commission. Apparently is the Thai way to just ask at building or friend tells you whatever as opposed to advertising. For internet I have Buddy at about 650Baht per month, is pre paid and there is no minimum contract time as far as I know, also no requirement to have landline phone installed. This gives you an extra option in case no internet in deal.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you, Litlos. I didn't know about the contract internet options available, and it'll come in handy if I run into another agent like the first. When I asked about Internet she assured me that most people pay 2,000 baht per month for wifi, but if she worked on it she might be able to do me a favour and get it down to 1,500. I struggled not to laugh.

If you are not a heavy internet user, you could squeak by with a 3G smartphone and tethering. This would not be practical for downloads of movies and TV shows, but for general internet browsing and e-mails, it would work.