Best Way To Book Accommodation?

whatnot

Hello,

I will be in Thailand in a few weeks, staying at the Honey Hotel, which I believe has a travel agent attached to it. I have a 'reasonable' idea of where i will stay (still firming this up) when i travel through Isaan up to Laos but want to keep some flexibility in my itinerary

I know internet booking is typically cheaper than the walk-in rate; can the travel agents obtain rates comparable to booking online?

Many thanks

Edited by whatnot

I don't know what country you're in...

I'm in the US, I always book everything through the internet for just about 10 yrs now...rooms, tour, taxi from the airport, condo room...

I always had good experiences, this way you can shop and compare prices.

If you want to go on a tour also, I usually booked the hotel rooms through them.

If you're planning to spend time more than 2 weeks, I would suggest booking a condo is much cheaper than even 3 star hotel..but as nice as 4+star hotel and come furnished with the kitchen also....right through the internet.

For the condo, there will be some that let you rent for 2 weeks, but most of them is for 1 month min. but I always find them cheaper than the hotel for 3 weeks period. You're looking at the studio though. This time mine comes with washing meching+safe deposit box. I'm not talking about a run down condo, this is very nice condo.

Good luck

Same here.

My advice is If its not silly season ,book one or two nights.

If you book your whole stay and the hotel sucks you have no chance of a refund.

I always book in for one night and extend just to be sure in hotels I dont know well.

Been burnt before.

I don't know what country you're in...

I'm in the US, I always book everything through the internet for just about 10 yrs now...rooms, tour, taxi from the airport, condo room...

I always had good experiences, this way you can shop and compare prices.

If you want to go on a tour also, I usually booked the hotel rooms through them.

If you're planning to spend time more than 2 weeks, I would suggest booking a condo is much cheaper than even 3 star hotel..but as nice as 4+star hotel and come furnished with the kitchen also....right through the internet. 

For the condo, there will be some that let you rent for 2 weeks, but most of them is for 1 month min. but I always find them cheaper than the hotel for 3 weeks period. You're looking at the studio though. This time mine comes with washing meching+safe deposit box.  I'm not talking about a run down condo, this is very nice condo.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I am a little gun-shy about booking online because I would need to give credit mycard details (I know the major companies are very reputable, but I was a victim of credit card fraud in Malaysia).

Not staying anywhere long enough for a condo to be an option, 2-3 days here and there- 7-8 days in a spot at most, if i really like it.

You're more lightly to be in the fraud situation if you're dealing with guest house or small establishment or even a very tiny tour company. Normally most the credit cards come with 60 days fraud free protection, you can always complain to them and get your money back. The bigger establishments seems o.k. and many decent tour companies will not let you pay online with the credit card, you booked on line and they will email their fax number to you so that you can fax your credit card numbers and copy of your passport...I never had any problem with the fraud.

Just from my experiences

As far as Bangkok is concern, Internet booking is a more convenient form unless you already have some travel agents contacts in Thailand where you can call them directly to make your reservations (long distance?)

As for rates, there are some travel agents who give better rates for some hotels and vice versa but I don't think the difference in price is a lot to cry about.

I would suggest that you go for convenience.

As for credit card fraud, its your computer that should have the necessary anti-spywares, etc that will prevent your necessary information from being stolen.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I will be in Thailand in a few weeks, staying at the Honey Hotel, which I believe has a travel agent attached to it. I have a 'reasonable' idea of where i will stay (still firming this up) when i travel through Isaan up to Laos but want to keep some flexibility in my itinerary

I know internet booking is typically cheaper than the walk-in rate; can the travel agents obtain rates comparable to booking online?

Many thanks

Never had any prob.using internet to book rooms.

Thai visa -Res 24-Sawaddee-and Chiang Dai discounter plus the other biggis have all proved to be OK and never any real hassles.

On one occasion a few years ago I booked on a Saturday lunchtime for a same day stay in a hotel in Cha am and was too late for the hotel to confirm (you learn by mistakes)

They (the hotel) let us stay and everthing was settled the next morning but since then I have never left it too close to cal...not worth the potential hassle..

The only times of the year I avoid LOS like the plague are at December-Christmas/New year/Son Kran and around the half term school holidays.Almost any other times you gcan get areasonable walk in deal and if you think its too much and you aint in a rush just go to the nearest internet place a do a check.

Common sense warning ...in these places always make sure that you LOG OFF when you completeyou reservation..especially if you have made a secure payment...look for the wee lock..otherwise forget it...

enjoy the Honey... :D incid..the soi 8 beer bar has transferred /opened next door.... :o

Thanks for the replies.

I am a little gun-shy about booking online because I would need to give credit mycard details (I know the major companies are very reputable, but I was a victim of credit card fraud in Malaysia).

Not staying anywhere long enough for a condo to be an option, 2-3 days here and there- 7-8 days in a spot at most, if i really like it.

IME, Internet booking in Thailand has always worked well.

If they ask for the CC number, that's for showing you are really the person talking and paying and serious about making an appearance on the day.

Internet bookings shops (some very small, a couple working from their unit but you don't know that) were always honest and I have never experienced any abuse. I met the "staff" of one when I booked a Singapore package and went there (Bangkapi "project" building) to get my tickets.

Even through the horrors of the last year's tsunami, my Internet agent (he told me his "office" was based and operating from Phuket, nobody knew what was going to happen in 4 days) made it and I had my accommodation in Pattaya and Hua Hin booked and paid trhough them.

Could be 2 different things or two combined - they get your money (their commission) only when you sign it up at the reception of the hotel booked.

Or Thais have understood that the frauds with hotel bookings may cost them life (or near that).

Me, personally, have no problems booking any accommodation or holidays through Thai web sites.

I just did it again for my 3 days away holiday.

Thanks for the replies.

IME, Internet booking in Thailand has always worked well.

If they ask for the CC number, that's for showing you are really the person talking and paying and serious about making an appearance on the day.

Internet bookings shops (some very small, a couple working from their unit but you don't know that) were always honest and I have never experienced any abuse. I met the "staff" of one when I booked a Singapore package and went there (Bangkapi "project" building) to get my tickets.

Even through the horrors of the last year's tsunami, my Internet agent (he told me his "office" was based and operating from Phuket, nobody knew what was going to happen in 4 days) made it and I had my accommodation in Pattaya and Hua Hin booked and paid trhough them.

Could be 2 different things or two combined - they get your money (their commission) only when you sign it up at the reception of the hotel booked.

Or Thais have understood that the frauds with hotel bookings may cost them life (or near that).

Me, personally, have no problems booking any accommodation or holidays through Thai web sites.

I just did it again for my 3 days away holiday.

If they ask for your CC card it is most likely to charge it in my experience with hotel bookings in Thailand. Almost all is done on a pay up front basis and fight later to get anything back or change conditions. Read all the conditions and policy statements and stick to the known suppliers. There will almost always be penalty clauses for no show or cancellations and not all are equal - compare before you put up any money.