Eating Cat And Dog In Asia Is The Norm..

space9000

yew like doggies? I like doggies too...

doggies going to market in rural Vietnam, photo taken from our vehicle as we overtook the truck:

to follow up, I spent a lot of time in provincial markets in north VN (either that or eat the horrible 'food' available in the hotels) and I never saw dogs being sold for food...but, there is obviously a 'market' for dog meat but the business must be conducted elsewhere...

Asian people dont eat cats

Dogs need to be rather large and slightly beaten (whilst alive)

Rats need to come from rice processing type places and are sold at a premium.

Go vego and you'll be safe-ish.

Vietnamese are Asian and there is a cat restaurant in Ha Noi.

There was a thread on here recently about a farangs Thai neighbours that ate his cat. Thais are Asian.

Dogs are not beaten while alive before eating them.

Really only the Viets, Chinese and Koreans eat dog. I always laugh when people fear they will be fed dog as it costs more than beef - so why would some dive sub it out for some bits of pork?

I've eaten paddy rat a few times. It was OK.

Suggest you stay away from Nakhon Sakhon as that's the main dog eating area of Thailand. Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai also.

Yes dog meat and rat meat costs more than beef or pork or chicken so is not likely to be used as a substitute in dishes. They're also more deliciouls and with a different texture so you'd notice the difference.

Eating Cat And Dog In Asia Is The Norm... ???

You are naive, totally naive, absolutely naive - about Asia.

Please do read more about Asia before posting this type of misleading information - if you really want to..

The Internet has an abundance of information.

Edited by ravip

Who eats that stinking blue cheese?

Who eats that Steak Tartare?

Who eats that Maggot Cheese?

Who eats that Steak , Bloody Rare?

Who eats that Stink Heads?

Who eats that Song Birds?

One man's food could be another man's poison... If you don't like it, don't touch it!

That is MHO...

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Really only the Viets, Chinese and Koreans eat dog. I always laugh when people fear they will be fed dog as it costs more than beef - so why would some dive sub it out for some bits of pork?

Suggest you stay away from Nakhon Sakhon as that's the main dog eating area of Thailand. Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai also.

Yes dog meat and rat meat costs more than beef or pork or chicken so is not likely to be used as a substitute in dishes. They're also more deliciouls and with a different texture so you'd notice the difference.

its Sakhon Nakhon, but yes you are correct in saying that it is one of the main dog eating regions of Thailand.

how should i know such a thing, well lets just say that's another story.

what is quite funny though is if you get into one of those everyday kind of Farang meets Thai conversations and are asked where you have been in the land. you will more often than not if you mention that you have stayed in the region get asked in Thai (kin mah ?) with a big smile across their face and in a joking kind of way.

Actually I would not be surprised to find Viets eat cats (and Chinese).

In Lao and Cambo you can find all sorts of wild animals for sale in the provs. I remember when there was a critter restauarant right on Minivong in Phnom Penh. I was so sad when I passed by, I wanted to let all the little creatures out of their cages. Asians have no respect for nature, sad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hey, man...you oughta go to NE China in the winter...as you enter the restaurant there is an aquarium fulla slithering snakes and you select one for the chefs to prepare...supposed to be good food for health in cold weather and, man was it cold in Harbin near the border with Siberia...about -20oC and it shivered me timbers...

the stir fried snake is not bad with lotsa onions and garlic...tastes a bit like chicken...and they always managed to get fresh vegetables and fruit in the dead of winter...amazing...here's a guy with a fresh sliced (and heated) pineapple cart on the streets of Harbin in the howling siberian wind, etc...surreal...

The traditional method in Korea is beating the dog, presumably to spread extra adrenalin through the meat, making it more tender and tasty.

That's the reason I ended up refusing to eat dog when I was living in Korea. Locals often said that the traditional methods were no longer used, but I wasn't assured of that, seeing the breeding and growth kennels out the back of specialized restaurants.

It's a business, just like any stockyard preparing pork or beef for the table.

You can buy Fido curry in little plastic bags in Pa Sang market.

We, that can pick and choose what we eat,for whatever reason, are the priviledged on this planet.

And should not cast a stone,unless the true meaning of starving,has been experienced.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

The traditional method in Korea is beating the dog, presumably to spread extra adrenalin through the meat, making it more tender and tasty.

That's the reason I ended up refusing to eat dog when I was living in Korea. Locals often said that the traditional methods were no longer used, but I wasn't assured of that, seeing the breeding and growth kennels out the back of specialized restaurants.

My brother in law also cooks dog regularly and does not beat them before garotting them. Also the parents of a colleague of mine own a dog restaurant in Seoul and he tells me they do not beat the dogs.

If it was anything to do with spreading adrenelin to make the meat more tasty don't you think they'd beat pigs and cows the same?

• 1 month later...

Ethnic Lao Thais eat dog. I've been told they prefer the black ones. If you don't believe me, just ask a local in Nakhon Phanom.

Ethnic Lao Thais eat dog. I've been told they prefer the black ones. If you don't believe me, just ask a local in Nakhon Phanom.

In Viet Nam black dogs are considered to be the best.

post-51760-0-89259900-1339065642_thumb.j

My brother in law also cooks dog regularly and does not beat them before garotting them. Also the parents of a colleague of mine own a dog restaurant in Seoul and he tells me they do not beat the dogs.

If it was anything to do with spreading adrenelin to make the meat more tasty don't you think they'd beat pigs and cows the same?

You'll note that I said "traditional method." They will always claim, particularly for foreigners, that beating is no longer done, but I'd rather not spend any time in the kennels out back as they're actually preparing the dogs for slaughter. You think any restauranteur will admit that he beats his meat tongue.png

Of course, none of this would be done in a proper stockyard, and there's never been a claim that the adrenalin would affect pork or beef. There are claims, though, that one can tell the difference between a black or white dog or even chicken.

I fail to see a problem .... The fish people say not to eat Dolphin because they are mammals ..... they don't seem to care with cows. Cute little bunny rabits are ok but not cats ? Horse has long been considered off limits in the usa because of the relationship they had in the early west , I guess they get a pass and the moose don't because moose aren't as fun to ride ! ...... It's not a problem to eat a wolf which is basicly a dog with a different name , hunting and eating a tiger or lion is just fine but I guess if the cat is to small it's bad ? Why do small cats get a pass but small fish don't ? kittens and baby fish not withstanding ..... I'd eat BBQ dolphin cooked over rainforest wood with a side of shark fin soup and crackers with cat pate and dog ice cream for desert and not miss a bit of sleep over it.