Anyone Applied For An Extension Of Stay Based On Marriage And Had The Process Take Much Longer Than The 1 Month?

I applied for an extention of stay based upon my marriage recently. They had me apply about 1 month before my visa ends. But we still haven't heard back from the place in bangkok. Any time I call the immigration office here they say Bangkok hasn't sent the information back. They tell me don't worry because I'm in a 'waiting period'. Is that true? I'm now 2 weeks past my visa expiration date.

Nothing unusual.

Yes, it sometimes takes even longer than 1 month.

But don't worry, the fact that they accepted your application means the paperwork is in order and I never heard of someone being denied the extension after they accpeted the application.

I have done this 3 times now and I have always been advised to call 3 weeks after the application is accepted and in every case my local Imm' office have received the paperwork back in that time.

I realise there can be expceptions.

Also, you should have been given a 30 day stamp covering you while the application is being processed, I would have thought it prudent to have gone back to the office on or just before that 30 day expiry date to see about a further stamp to cover the delay and at the same time enquire about what is causing the delay.

I wonder if you are now here without any formal Imm' authorisation as it is (so you say) after your previous visa expiry date. I sincerely hope not.

Normally you application should be back easily within the 30 days.

It is off-course always possible that this longer due to holiday's etc.

You also received an 30 days extension stamp to cover the waiting period.

You should go back to the immigration office within the 30 days to get your extension or when it is not back yet a new ( temporary ) short term extension to cover the extra waiting time.

"...just before that 30 day expiry date to see about a further stamp to cover the delay..."

There was a time when some immigration offices stopped giving 2nd, 3rrd etc stamps. They told people not to worry, they were in the system and OK.

They probably, don't know for sure, stopped giving the stamps because of the whiners complaining about too many stamps.

I always get the 30 day stamp that says "Application for extension of stay is under consideration. Applicant must contact on (1 month date)"

Then I go back on that date stamped on the extension and they give me the next (extension of stay permitted) stamp for 11 months.

Thanks guys.

I have a stamp just like Jayman said about my application being under consideration. But that stamp has expired and so far they have repeatedly told me not to worry. They never said anything about getting another stamp like some of you said. I'll ask them about that on monday.

Thanks guys.

I have a stamp just like Jayman said about my application being under consideration. But that stamp has expired and so far they have repeatedly told me not to worry. They never said anything about getting another stamp like some of you said. I'll ask them about that on monday.

So I take it then when the stamp was set to expire you went to immigration and they just said don't worry but didn't give you another stamp? Personally I would be worried. What if you are stopped and police want to see your passport and you show them and they see you are here past your stamp date? That seems like a potential nightmare. I definitely would not trust the "don't worry" comment and would really push for a new stamp (if even 30 days) or something in writing that they put in your passport as evidence you are not overstay.

Of course, I've never had my passport checked for such things (knock on wood) but would hate to have it happen after my stamp expired and I was still walking the streets of Thailand.

just my 2 cents..